It is shocking how many people think Holly will beat Cyborg

I know it's Strange coming from a french Canadian but, I'm not into poutine that Much...

That's because you're from Québec City.

You guys have way too much awesome food to worry about poutine.

And seriously, you guys do a hell of a breakfast.

How great would it be if Holly saved MMA from Ronda AND Cyborg? Woman GOAT
And them lose to everyone else, it would be funny as hell.

Bruce Buffer could announce her as a two-time one-hit-wonder. (Not talking about lucky punches, I mean bands like Steppen Wolf)

Still, after Ronda I think he won't be upsetting the world like she did, but beating Cyborg would be funny, on the downside that could make Ronda get back into business.

Holly seems to have a decent chance because she can keep the fight standing with good takedown defense. She was on her way to beating Tate until the takedown late in the 5th which many people overlook.
But Cyborg has changed abit in her last fight and showed she wasn't wild in the standup. She'll probably have to show something different in the Holm fight by going for takedowns so I don't know how it pans out. Its too bad that GDR chickened out since that was the match to make imo.

It may be because Cyborg isn't as truly technical as Shevchenko or de Randamie and Holm has the capability to learn from her mistakes against Tate, the last powerufl grappler she fought, and adjust accordingly for whatever skills Cyborg has. Also, Brazilian fighters post USADA do seem to have a rather mixed track record; the Brazilians did have a reputation for treating steroids as over the counter pills in years past. And so it may not be clear as to what version of Cyborg will show up. These are possible reasons as to why Holm could be projected to win despite Cyborg's years building up a rep as the most dangerous woman to ever fight in the Octagon.

This will be Cyborg's toughest fight ever. Holm is athletic, can follow a gameplan and has a relatively high fight IQ. I see the fight going two ways - Cyborg demolishing Holm early, or Holm being able to counter Cyborg's sloppy attacks and win by KO. If you think Holm has no chance you are probably one of them who thought the same when she fought Ronda. I think Cyborg will win but I can easily see an upset happening.

It's actually a LOT more shocking that so many people think this is just a sure win for Cyborg.

Just goes to show how many dumb fans we have here

This is a very rough stylistic matchup for Cyborg.
Ya there is nothing more dumb than believing a fighter who has been virtually UNTOUCHED her entire career is a heavy favorite against a fighter who has already lost with her predictable kick boxing.

<YeahOKJen>

Cyborg is sloppy. Her striking isn't even that great, she's just a tank. Holm will most likely clip her coming in.

Ya there is nothing more dumb than believing a fighter who has been virtually UNTOUCHED her entire career is a heavy favorite against a fighter who has already lost with her predictable kick boxing.

<YeahOKJen>
untouched her career against who? She hasn't fought anyone her whole career.

Holly lost against Valentina. Lost a close decision I thought she won against a Muay thai world champion. She has fought only the highest level of competition.

Cyborg Is slow and flat footed on the feet. She's got a brawling chute boxe style and while she has tried to improve technically over the years, she's been doing her style for so long that she's embodied many of those bad habits. Holly Is a counter striker, a boxer, constantly moving. On paper that seems to be a tough stylistic matchup for Cyborg on the feet. Historically that has always been the achilles heel for Chute boxe style fighters actually.

If it stays standing I see Holly dancing circles around her, with Cyborg having a punchers chance. She's not going to just bulldoze her way In with that brawling chute boxe style against Holly.

The exception Is that she does have some wrestling and she has some BJJ, I would expect her to try and take this fight down and mix up her game.

Cyborg being a heavy favourite makes absolutely no sense though, It only makes sense to people who aren't actually analyzing the fight properly. Like yourself.

Expect those lines to narrow heavily as the fight gets closer.

Last edited:
Well, you fail to factor in just how dumb "people" are. Especially MMA fans.

They are really, really dumb....At least most of them.

Well, you fail to factor in just how dumb "people" are. Especially MMA fans.

They are really, really dumb....At least most of them.
If you fall Into the category of people who believe this Is nothing more than a walkthrough for Cyborg, you wouldn't really be that different. At least In this case.

There was a post like that about Holly vs Ronda. Holly is complacent against passive fighters but she can certainly catch an agressive one.

Of course she can also ride her bicycle, make iish sounds and hit air.

I don’t necessarily think it WILL happen, but Cyborg has never fought anybody remotely good outside Gina & Marloes & you can’t tell me it wouldn’t be absolutely hysterical and amazing if Holly KOd not one, but 2 wmma pieces of trash.

I don't necessarily THINK she will win, but I certainly am not writing her off, either.

Holly is a good counter-striker.

If Cyborg comes in overly aggressive, Holly has a chance.

Holly has a chance but what a lot of people are missing is the ground game issue. Cyborg doesn't have to beat her standing. She can try to take it to the ground - Holly has solid but not impregnable takedown defense. The Rousey and Tate fights each went to the ground twice. Shevchenko seemed to be able to take her to the ground at will. Once on the ground, Holly has shown no evidence of any game at all . Cyborg will probably start off trying to outstrike her and if that doesn't pan out, switch to a takedown strategy.

WMMA has progressed a fair bit

tumblr_n0gqcfwtoN1rcoly3o1_400.gif

Nobody honestly thinks Holly will beat Cyborg.
I do actually.

I like Cyborg but I think she's a bit overrated.

This is her first real test in MMA.

When she's actually challenged In her career and overcomes It / emerges as a champion..then I will give her that respect.

Up until now, she hasn't proved anything.

She certainly has the right Idea though. That brawling chute boxe style has created many holes / bad habits In her striking and boxing. But, she's going to Thailand. She's training with claressa shields. That's exactly what she needs to be doing. Same with Aldo, another dude who learned how to box In a brazilian way. Those styles leave too many holes that better boxers, strikers and counter fighters will take advantage of.

I just figure Cyborg will get Holly down and beat her up at some point. In a striking match I think Holly will be fine as long as Cyborg is being aggressive like Ronda was. But Cyborg is so much better on the ground. By leaps and bounds.

I wouldn't bet on it but Cyborg's best win is Marloes Coenen. She has never fought a striker the level of Holm her entire career unless you count getting dominated by Baars in kickboxing.

Holly has a chance but what a lot of people are missing is the ground game issue. Cyborg doesn't have to beat her standing. She can try to take it to the ground - Holly has solid but not impregnable takedown defense. The Rousey and Tate fights each went to the ground twice. Shevchenko seemed to be able to take her to the ground at will. Once on the ground, Holly has shown no evidence of any game at all . Cyborg will probably start off trying to outstrike her and if that doesn't pan out, switch to a takedown strategy.

Cyborg doesn't have any good takedowns though. She doesn't shoot, trip, or do any throws other than sloppy, strength-based ones that will be less effective against an Amazon like Holly, and could compromise her on scrambles (like with Gina).

Back