Issuing a 6th round for title fights that result in a draw or split

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think it would be an interesting thing to do.
It would show who has more heart, grit and of course cardio and it also might show who truly is winning the fight.

Although not a TF a good example would be the Conor vs Nate fight. Although the fight ended in a majority dec for Conor, who knows what could have happened with another round to go: Conor was exhausted while Diaz seemed to still have something in him and ended the 5th round strong. Maybe a 6th round would have determined a clear winner. In my opinion Conor did actually win and giving Diaz the 2nd means people only watched the last 30 secs of that round, which was a good Diaz moment but nothing that would overturn the round in Diaz' favour.

Also, the first Woodley-Thompson fight should have gone to another boring but decisive 6th round

NO.

A 6th round for a split? So what happens when that split becomes a draw? A 7th round?

<6>

Pride rules. The only real MMA. What we have today is a boxing ripoff. 10 point system, short rounds, "octagon" girls, Conor McGregor. It is all ripped off from Boxing, unfortunately it does not translate well to MMA.

I vote for a 10 minute first round and no time limit second round.

Just decide draws on a coin toss, it's not like they happen very often.
TV scheduling matters so you can't just allow another 10 mins of time just in case a title fight ends in a draw.

Maybe you'll get your first death in the octagon. Another day another dollar.

If I were doing the sport from scratch, I'd argue for all fights being three seven minute rounds.

I think it would give grapplers more time to work, and introduce some interesting strategic elements around cardio expenditure within rounds, without being *overly* taxing on fighters.

I'm also a fan of starting new rounds from exactly where the last round ended. I think it's a bummer that strikers (or whomever) get an automatic reset button at the start of every round.

I think it would be an interesting thing to do.
It would show who has more heart, grit and of course cardio and it also might show who truly is winning the fight.

Although not a TF a good example would be the Conor vs Nate fight. Although the fight ended in a majority dec for Conor, who knows what could have happened with another round to go: Conor was exhausted while Diaz seemed to still have something in him and ended the 5th round strong. Maybe a 6th round would have determined a clear winner. In my opinion Conor did actually win and giving Diaz the 2nd means people only watched the last 30 secs of that round, which was a good Diaz moment but nothing that would overturn the round in Diaz' favour.

Also, the first Woodley-Thompson fight should have gone to another boring but decisive 6th round
Did you not watch the first Woodley Thompson fight?

Sounds like a reasonable idea but only if both fighters have to fight like this in the 6th round:

starnes-v-quarry2.gif

Stop fucking with the sport.

Fix refereeing and judging and that's it.

You say that like it would be easy. Reffing and judging is nearly always controversial in much older and more experienced fields than MMA

I don’t like the idea of sudden death rounds because it motivates fighters to be more conservative in the final round to preserve energy just in case.

I am open to the idea of longer rounds and what GSP wants (no breaks, just one 30min round)

5 rounds is just fine, 10-8 is whats wrong imo, its not 12 rounds like in boxing, overcoming a 10-8 ends up in a draw basically, ask Wonderboy, he won the first fight 3-2.

I think it's great. unlimited time for the main event would be even better. maybe even no rounds

I think it's great. unlimited time for the main event would be even better. maybe even no rounds

Maia vs Woodley: No time limits! Shut up and take my money.

Stop fucking with the sport.

Fix refereeing and judging and that's it.

The sport is in a good place. I wouldn't say "fix refereeing and judging" because a lot of the time, it's relatively fair. Yes we do get the odd anomolies, and we can have a bitch and moan about them when they come up.

To TS, at the end of the day, some fights are just that close

No.

Stop changing the rules when titles are on the line.

It bothers me enough you play in a 3 round sport, until the biggest fight of your life. It's suddenly a new game.

I get the logistics of it, but as a purist this shit bothers me. No changing rules in states, one or the other.

Back