Is Woodley the worst stylistic matchup for Nate in the UFC?

There isnt a "worst stylistic matchup" when you are 19-11.....Having said that, this IS the worst matchup for him:

Rory%252520Macdonald%252520Suplex%252520vs%252520Nate%252520Diaz.gif

yep...only worse match up than this shit that i can think of would be Miocic opening a hole in nates forehead with a punch.

I appreciate your analysis and agree with a few of your points, but I will say this...

Firstly, WW contenders? Nate is the contender in this situation, not the WW top 10. And in specific reference to Woodley, well he is the champ in a highly competitive division, he is not a contender in any sense of the word, especially in reference to a fighter ranked #6 in the weight class beneath him.

I think you need to reread what was was said. I'll reiterate in different words:

Out of the top WWs, Woodley is the easiest stylistic matchup for Nate. IMO.

Meaning I think Nate has a better shot at beating Woodley than he does Wonderboy, Lawler, RDA, Maia, etc. Specifically due to the way they match up. Nate's volume, pressuring style against Woodley's inactivity and tendency to back up against the cage, combined with the fact he doesnt use his wrestling when he should.

Yes I accept that Nate is currently a top 10 fighter... at LW. But his shaky record proves his lack of consistency. He holds a record of 20 wins, 11 losses (nearly 50% win ratio throughout his career - with a 50% win ratio in both his last 8 fights and his last 12). He had an impressive win against Michael Johnson ... no doubt. But ultimately the reason he has suddenly started cropping up in discussions of high-profile/championship fights is simply down to the fact that he beat the champ in a weight class beneath him, who had a clear size disadvantage and took the fight on short notice, 2 weight classes higher than where he had previously been competing. Interestingly, he then also went on to lose in the re-match which was over a year ago... now somehow his name is being thrown into contention with the best fighters in the world in the weight class above him? And we're meant to take that seriously because... Diaz bros.

He doesn't need consistency to win a single fight against a guy he matches up well with.

Hard leg kicks check
Athletic chech.
Wrestling check
Sub defense check.
Fight IQ check.

I think this will look like the Benson Henderson fight.

Jake had him backing up against the cage for 15min, Nate's gonna tee off on that explosive sob

Except highly-regarded strikers like Carlos Condit, Robbie Lawler, DHK and Wonderboy?

Make no mistake, if this fight happens, and if Tyron decides to stand up and fight Nate on the feet for 5 rounds, Nate will win this fight.

This fight likely won't happen, and if it does Tyron won't stand up and fight Nate on the feet for 5 rounds.

The opposite. It's the easiest fight for Nate out of the WW contenders.

Woodley has a height and reach disadvantage.

Woodley is gunshy for most of his fights, Nate will most certainly be the more active fighter

Nate has a great chin and can probably take Woodley's power.

Woodley is easy to back up against the cage. Nate is good at pressuring.

Woodley rarely uses his wrestling, even in situations where he should. He stood with Wonderboy for the majority of both fights, despite having a massive advantage on the ground.

All good points, but if this does happen Woodley goes full wrestle fuck mode

He actually outboxed him. Outjabbed him from the get go and rocked him with a 1-2 in the second round.

Sure he took hard shots in that fight, but he boxed Conor's ears off. If you knew anything about striking you would notice that.
Yeah nothing about what you said goes against my statement. Your definition of “outboxing” him is just looking at the end of fightmetrics and seeing Nate landed more than Conor. What you haven’t done is look at when Diaz landed the majority of his strikes. Diaz turned it on when Conor was already fading. The 1-2 and when he landed it means nothing. Conor was gassed and got tagged with his hands down. Watch fights for awhile and youll notice a fighter is completely different when he’s gassed.

Conor has no gameplan in the first fight. He wrongly thought he could put away a short notice Diaz in the first via KO. He spent all his energy early and all Diaz had to do was outlast him which he did.

You’ll notice in the second match when Conor actually had a gameplan and didn’t go all out for the KO in the first against the toughest chin in the UFC he won.

He easily rolled with Conor's punches.
There’s nothing special about that. A trained boxer like Diaz should do that. He didn’t do anything earth shattering or new against Conor he hadn’t been doing his whole career. He fought a guy who normally fights at 145 at WW and used his cardio and toughness to win. Nothing special. That’s exactly what Diaz does

Wonderboy is fast. Diaz isn't.

He "won".

I mean the blows that Conor landed on him weren't shit cuz Diaz rolled with them, genius.

Melvin Guillard is the most explosive person to ever fight in the UFC with the exception of Vitor and Randleman. (RIP)
Blatant troll account made on Saturday that doesn’t know wtf he’s talking about... I’m shocked

Nate is good at pressuring, sure... but let's not get carried away in assuming he is Nick. He's not Nick. Stop confusing the two.

Woodley will easily beat Nate, but what the hell is this? Nate is clearly the more talented more proven Diaz brother.

Back