Is UFC 301 a fight night level card?

Maybe a few years ago but it’s better than most FN cards in recent history in my opinion. Doesn’t mean it’s a particularly great card or worth whatever crazy fee they’re charging nowadays. It’s a high tier fight night card or bottom tier ppv by today’s standards.

Maybe a few years ago but it’s better than most FN cards in recent history in my opinion. Doesn’t mean it’s a particularly great card or worth whatever crazy fee they’re charging nowadays. It’s a high tier fight night card or bottom tier ppv by today’s standards.
Yeah, the old fight night cards were better than most modern ppv's. Some people don't like to admit it but it's true. Back then the UFC had to put out quality before ESPN came along, it doesn't effect them anymore if they put out shit ppv cards.

Last edited:
Yeah, the old fight night cards were better than most modern ppv's. Some people don't like to admit it but it's true. Back then the UFC had to put out quality before ESPN came along, it doesn't effect them anymore if they put out shit cards.
Yep, they really had to worry about viewership and ticket sales back then. Nowadays, they mostly just have to worry about putting cards together to fulfill their contractual obligations. I like having cards almost every weekend, but it’s undeniable the quality in general has declined.

Meow
cool-fun.gif

301 is one of the worst PPVs in a while. No, it's not the worst, but even by 2024 standards, it's terrible. I DON'T fault the UFC though, in fact, I was sure this was going to happen for PPVs and Fight Nights for about 6 events after the blowout card they did for UFC 300.

UFC 300 had 3 PPV level headliners, about 4 solid Fight Night level main events and another 3 low quality Fight Night headliners. That's like 10 main events in ONE card.

Naturally, the next 6 cards or so are going to be weak, unless 10 elite fighters all of a sudden decided they should fight 3 times a year instead of 1 or 2.

Pantoja is a completely unknown and unproven champion and he's fighting against a guy with 3 wins in the UFC against opponents no one knows. Love Martinez, but he's not well known yet and Aldo is way past his prime and retired as far as I'm concerned. Anthony Smith is 1-3 in his last 4. Pereira and Craig are solid, but they're not fighting against each other, they're fighting against nobodies.

Anyhow, I'm going to watch, I'm a MMA fan, I don't need big names. But PPVs are judged by big names and relevance and this one has nothing.

Last edited:
I'll be watching if my buddy goes in on the card with me. Looking forward to seeing Aldo compete.

I like the card, the only issue is quality of opponents on the main card for the brazilian fighters.

Ihor,Lionheart,Craig all seem like the last option and most are coming off loses so that can make it meh for sure. But other than that the prelims are solid and Aldo is back/Title is on the line. Good enough for a numbered event to me

Pantoja is a completely unknown and unproven champion and he's fighting against a guy with 3 wins in the UFC against opponents no one knows.
Unproven? Pantoja has been dominating this division to the point that they have trouble finding a contender since he has wins over #1 Moreno, #2 Royval, #5 Perez, #7 Kape, and Amir is injured...

Unproven? Pantoja has been dominating this division to the point that they have trouble finding a contender since he has wins over #1 Moreno, #2 Royval, #5 Perez, #7 Kape, and Amir is injured...
Yeah, he is like 9-0 against the top ten ranked fighters in his division. The most proven champ at the moment.

Yes, not interested in watching. Can’t believe people will pay for this PPV

Back