is Thompson a One Dimensional Fighter/Striker?

• Thread starter Deleted member 391673
  • Start date
I'd say Hendricks and Ellenberger were known for their punching power five years ago. Today they are mostly known for losing fights and being shells of their former selves, so it doesn't surprise me that Thompson wasn't worried about them.

Woodley is in his prime though, and Till is a young up-and-comer who missed weight, was noticeably bigger and is known to hit hard.
When WB fought those 2 guys they were still considered dangerous strikers

There’s a reason why he schooled Rory,masvidal,Hendricks and whittaker
Lol that was a long time ago at Welterweight for a young Whittaker. He would demolish Wonderboy now + hes UFC champ. Also Hoon Kim and Court McGee smashed Whittaker too. Guess they could do it again if they moved up too lol

He threw one even in this fight. Then Till threw one of his own, and they smiled at each other.

I don't think he wants to go to the ground if he doesn't have to, but his wrestling is quite good.

Go watch the Ellenberger fight to see how easily he reverses Ellenberger's takedown and then takes his back. It was almost effortless.

But he obviously prefers to be on the feet.

As you said earlier, a lot of times he doesn't sit down on his punches because he's so focused on getting in, striking, and exiting so he stays light on his feet during the exchange.

But don't forget that it was a straight punch that that started off his finishing sequence against Whittaker, and that's not the first time he's discombobulated a guy with one his punches.

Not the best angle but:

Robert_Whittaker_vs._Stephen_Thompson_1.gif
Lol everyone beat Whittaker at WW, even Court McGee and Hoon Kim. Guess they could beat Rob at MW too lol

It does get on my nerves sometimes but guys like Anderson made a career out of this. Cant say he shoulda done it any other way really.

Anderson knows how to lead. For some reason he chose not to in some of his boring fights against Leites/Maia/Cote.

Thompson and Machida on the other hand look like they're completely lost when they have to lead. It's stupid because you're relying on your opponent to make it a fight.

I was rooting for Till, but Thompson was fighting smart. He doesn’t exactly have a Huntesque chin, the man knows his limitations and your blasting him for basically intentionally not getting KO’d...lol

Anderson knows how to lead. For some reason he chose not to in some of his boring fights against Leites/Maia/Cote.

Thompson and Machida on the other hand look like they're completely lost when they have to lead. It's stupid because you're relying on your opponent to make it a fight.
Machida doesnt only rely on counters
He sometimes bursts forth with jabs and straights and some of his best work is landing after baiting with a feint like how he koed couture. But overall,his style is based on having huge space to work. When forced to fight in close quarters or like against weidman when he had to desperatley try to finish chris in the final round,that is totally not his style or forte.

I'd say Hendricks and Ellenberger were known for their punching power five years ago. Today they are mostly known for losing fights and being shells of their former selves, so it doesn't surprise me that Thompson wasn't worried about them.

Woodley is in his prime though, and Till is a young up-and-comer who missed weight, was noticeably bigger and is known to hit hard.

to be fair in regards to the size, it didn't seem like till used his size unfairly. he didn't clinch or try to wrestle. i didn't like that he missed weight but it didn't look like he used it to his advantage in that fight.

to be fair in regards to the size, it didn't seem like till used his size unfairly. he didn't clinch or try to wrestle. i didn't like that he missed weight but it didn't look like he used it to his advantage in that fight.

Well the bigger you are the more weight you can put behind your strikes. That's my thinking.

Even Thompson said in a post-fight interview that he could "feel" Till's size out there.

Saying he’s on a one dimensional striker is the stupidest thing I ever heard.he got amazing footwork,good boxing,great kicks,great countering,good precision and amazingly combo and blitz.
There’s a reason why he schooled Rory,masvidal,Hendricks and whittaker
Post usada Henricks and Whittaker how many fights ago

Yes, he's. Lomachenko is a great boxer. He can both attack and defend, perfect technique and can throw every punch.
Wonderboy is decent and what he does, moving around and throwing same combo for 25 minutes.

Not only is he one dimensional, he fights "scared" and settles for single shots, and quickly retreats.

Back