is Thompson a One Dimensional Fighter/Striker?

• Thread starter Deleted member 391673
  • Start date
He likes to do jab, cross, roundhouse. That's probably his premiere combo.

That's how be put Dan Stittgen away.

But I will agree he favors straight punches. Doesn't do a lot of hooks or uppercuts or throw many elbows.

That all goes back to his point fighting background. It's straight punches that score so that's what's ingrained into his muscle memory.

He's got some sweet spinning kicks, too.

giphy.gif

He has good takedown defense, which shouldn't be overlooked.

We used to call that "wrestling in reverse." He's hard to get down.

fair points. but the spinning kicks seem to only be used on lower competition unlike say barboza who always will throw it regardless who he is fighting.

and it's true. he's got good tdd but he never tdd to top control it seems.

you're right about the straight punches being ingrained, but the other problem with that is his straight punches seem to have a lower probability of rocking/hurting an opponent especially against patient fighters.

It's not crazy, Hendricks and Berger are both excellent MMA adapted wrestlers, and had nothing for him when they attempted take downs.

Thompson's main training partner became Chris Weidman after the Brown fight, and he's spent years developing his counter wrestling. If guys could get him down, they would. He's just very hard to take down now and may kick your face in on your way in.

Woodley was able to secure a really solid take down in their first fight, but he's a freak athlete with explosive timing that few can match.

The thing about the Ellenberger fight was Ellenberger went for a takedown and then Thompson not only reversed it but took Ellenberger's back and beat him up on the ground for a little while.

Thompson's wrestling is quite good. He just only uses it when he has to.

I would love to see him go out there and knock everyone out. That would be great. But he's not going to get it every time and sometimes we're going to get a fight like we got today.

Maybe it's because I study karate myself, but I am enamored with his style. So many karate systems are built around the idea of hitting without getting hit, so Thompson's style entrances me. I feel like I'm in a literal trance watching him use his footwork, movement and blitz attacks to get in, strike and get out of range.

That's his game: Get in, strike, get out without getting countered. And I love watching it.

I am actually reminded of a quote from Bill Wallace a while back. As you probably know, Wallace was a champion kickboxer from the 70s with many KOs on his record. He said he never hit guys hard. He didn't load up on shots. Instead he would move and then throw techniques at the right time and guys would run into them and often times the result was a knockout.

I think Thompson's style is similar. He's not going to brawl with you. He's not going to swing for the fences. Instead, he's going to go out there and play a disciplined game and throw the right techniques at the right time. Sometimes the result is a knockout and sometimes it's not. But personally, I always enjoy watching it. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole 25 minutes with this fight.

i feel that sometimes he needs to take a bigger risk and commit more to aggression. to the sith side! hah but i understand why he doesn't want to do that. but that also puts him at a disadvantage in a fight as well. sometimes you gotta take bigger risks for a bigger reward.

To be fair when Thompson is really dominating a fight he does press his advantage putting away guys like Hendricks but closer matches against opponents who carry more threat he is definitely very defensive rarely committing to strikes much. You could at least say with Machida that whilst he was somewhat limited(did throw knees though) he did commit to his counters more, putting himself at more risk to potentially land fight ending shots.

One issue IMHO is that WW generally lagged behind in terms of striking talent until recently, lots of brawling wrestlers like Hendricks and Ellenberger.

the version of hendricks that he beat - was that the same version that fought gsp and lawler?

fair points. but the spinning kicks seem to only be used on lower competition unlike say barboza who always will throw it regardless who he is fighting.

He threw one even in this fight. Then Till threw one of his own, and they smiled at each other.

and it's true. he's got good tdd but he never tdd to top control it seems.

I don't think he wants to go to the ground if he doesn't have to, but his wrestling is quite good.

Go watch the Ellenberger fight to see how easily he reverses Ellenberger's takedown and then takes his back. It was almost effortless.

But he obviously prefers to be on the feet.

you're right about the straight punches being ingrained, but the other problem with that is his straight punches seem to have a lower probability of rocking/hurting an opponent especially against patient fighters.

As you said earlier, a lot of times he doesn't sit down on his punches because he's so focused on getting in, striking, and exiting so he stays light on his feet during the exchange.

But don't forget that it was a straight punch that that started off his finishing sequence against Whittaker, and that's not the first time he's discombobulated a guy with one his punches.

Not the best angle but:

Robert_Whittaker_vs._Stephen_Thompson_1.gif

it's very odd. is he thinking that he's at a point-fighting karate tournament?

he should sign up for Karate Kombate that @shadow_priest_x posted about. was that the name of the org? he'd do great at that.

nah, hes good at MMA
beat a lot of great fighters and IS a great fighter himself.

<Fedor23><Goldie11><Goldie11>

The thing about the Ellenberger fight was Ellenberger went for a takedown and then Thompson not only reversed it but took Ellenberger's back and beat him up on the ground for a little while.

Thompson's wrestling is quite good. He just only uses it when he has to.

It was also shocking how he seemed to manhandle Rory in just about every grappling exchange.

It was also shocking how he seemed to manhandle Rory in just about every grappling exchange.

Yeah. His wrestling is underrated.

I think people just forget he has those abilities because he chooses not to use them offensively.

I wish Rory gave his nose more time to heal before the Wonderboy fight. That said, Wonderboy is getting boring to watch. Not aggressive enough. After that "what hurt you, nothing" comment, i expected some danger and excitement. Nope, more point fighting.

I can't stand fighters who can only lead OR counter. It's stupid.
It does get on my nerves sometimes but guys like Anderson made a career out of this. Cant say he shoulda done it any other way really.

He’s a point karate counter fighter..

That’s all and nothing more. It’s a style you can win with but you can also see what happens when the guy doesn’t chase him.

For some reason youguys are putting it all on Till.. neither of them wanted to lead the dance

it's like playing a fighting game and using 5% of the characters moveset.

This, and when well done it works against average players but when you do it against someone decent you will lose, kind of like wonderboy.

This, and when well done it works against average players but when you do it against someone decent you will lose, kind of like wonderboy.

You see, this is the kind of bullshit that makes me think the MMA fandom sucks. It really is a sport of "what have you done for me lately."

Rory McDonald is a former WW title Challenger who nearly claimed the belt. Robert Whittaker is basically the MW champ as we speak. Jorge Masvidal is a perennial contender who just TKOd Cerrone a few fights ago.

These guys are great fighters but you're claiming they aren't even "decent"?

You see, this is the kind of bullshit that makes me think the MMA fandom sucks. It really is a sport of "what have you done for me lately."

Rory McDonald is a former WW title Challenger who nearly claimed the belt. Robert Whittaker is basically the MW champ as we speak. Jorge Masvidal is a perennial contender who just TKOd Cerrone a few fights ago.

These guys are great fighters but you're claiming they aren't even "decent"?
I was exhagerrating a bit, don't get triggered like that. Rory was a great win for WB, Whittaker was a complettely different fighter and Jorge Masvidal (who i like) is more of gatekeeper than contender. I actually can appreciate WB's style but i think that when it's close, he doesn't go for the break.

Even if WB would have won against woodley and till on the scorecards it would have shown more about how the judging system is flawed more than anything else.

I was exhagerrating a bit, don't get triggered like that. Rory was a great win for WB, Whittaker was a complettely different fighter and Jorge Masvidal (who i like) is more of gatekeeper than contender. I actually can appreciate WB's style but i think that when it's close, he doesn't go for the break.

Even if WB would have won against woodley and till on the scorecards it would have shown more about how the judging system is flawed more than anything else.

From my observations, really it comes down to punching power.

When the guys he's facing are known as hard hitters who can end a fight with one punch then he is very cautious. When they instead tend to win via accumulation of damage, he opens up a lot more.

Considering the fact that he got floored by Woodley and Till, I'd say his caution seems justified in such cases.

"The more you know the less you use" JJ Machado.

If you pay attention most of the successful fighters use the same patterns over and over again.

From my observations, really it comes down to punching power.

When the guys he's facing are known as hard hitters who can end a fight with one punch then he is very cautious. When they instead tend to win via accumulation of damage, he opens up a lot more.

Considering the fact that he got floored by Woodley and Till, I'd say his caution seems justified in such cases.
I think it's more about the stylistic match ups than the strenght of his opponents. WB finished Ellenberger and Hendricks (who were known for their power) in the 1st round.

It's when his opponents use more mouvement, feints and don't go straight at WB that he has more difficulties.

I think it's more about the stylistic match ups than the strenght of his opponents. WB finished Ellenberger and Hendricks (who were known for their power) in the 1st round.

It's when his opponents use more mouvement, feints and don't go straight at WB that he has more difficulties.

This. I think WB is awesome and just his abilities to move around and counter are a joy to watch but it seems he is expecting his opponents to move forward in straight lines, throwing basic punches at him. If they dont and have good movement and feints he is very tentative. As said I enjoy watching his style but he should have made some changes to his game after the woodley fights.

Last edited:

I'd say Hendricks and Ellenberger were known for their punching power five years ago. Today they are mostly known for losing fights and being shells of their former selves, so it doesn't surprise me that Thompson wasn't worried about them.

Woodley is in his prime though, and Till is a young up-and-comer who missed weight, was noticeably bigger and is known to hit hard.

Back