Is this a good boxing gym?

Hello people. I hope this is the right forum for my question, if not I apologize right now.

I have trained at a new boxing club a couple of times and while the trainer is friendly and has good credentials, there is stuff going on during training which didn't feel okay to me.

First of, nobody is wearing headgear. I know there is no consensus on whether or not they are necesary, but isn't that a sign of an iffy gym?

Also, I sparred right away, first practice, without gum (stupid, yeah) and none of the other starters were wearing it either.

One of the experienced guys also went pretty hard on me even though I never had proper boxing training and I wasn't wearing protection.

The other noobs were also swinging with the obvious intention of hurting one another. Again, no intervention.

What do you think? Are these proper boxing practices, especially for beginners?

Thanks.

Edit: It's my fourth time and no talk about insurance yet.

Sounds poorly run to me. There are plenty of gyms that run like this sadly, the old pointlessly macho culture, but luckily they're dying out, not least because they aren't creating good fighters.

Headgear has always been optional at my gyms (current and former) and I don't think it's a no-no. However, you shouldn't be sparring without a mouthguard and without sparring gloves...16". Being given the ok to spar without a mouthguard against experienced guys going too hard, or two inexperienced guys swinging wildly, without proper supervision, is a very dumb thing on the gyms part. That's a major no-no.

Sparring on your first go isnt necessarily a bad thing, if the gym is run properly. That's a big 'if'. Getting put in their against an experienced guy should actually work in your favour at a good gym, because they'll know it's your first go and take you through things you should and shouldn't be doing. They'll also go very light and just focus on correcting your technique. They should want you to come back.

That also goes for the other noobs. If they're just winging away, then the gym isn't doing its job. First sparring sessions should be run light, with good supervision and focus on technique. Build up to competitive sparring over time by getting people used to punches coming at them, get them used to using good technique and not freaking out and getting wild.

Despite what some people say about not wearing it. If you find a decent piece of headgear that doesn't restrict visibility and is not very large, I don't see why you shouldn't wear it. If you are doing light interactive drills or sparring I can see why you may want to do without it on some rare occasions. 16 oz sparring gloves aren't a bad idea either, unless you are on the lighter side. Mouthpiece should be worn.

Getting tossed in right away just doesn't seem smart to me. Sure sparring on the first day can be alright. If you are asked to throw punches while the other guy does an all defense round, then that makes sense. You can work on your form and technique that you just learned. You don't want to get thrown into the fray like that and then start learning bad habits. Slow and steady. Rome wasn't built in a day.

"In no sport is the temptation stronger than in boxing to run before you can walk. It is a temptation more strenuously than some others to be resisted..." - J.G. Bohun Lynch

I don't like the sounds of this gym. FWIW. You need your brain years from now. Them? Not so sure.

Ive nothing against headgear but most gyms I've trained at just don't use them. The ones I've had to wear when I've fought (and sparring just before a fight) have been bulky and restricted view after being hit. Sparring with 16 to 18s offer decent protection and your not trying to take your opponents head off. Different folks for different folks I suppose!
I agree as I personally don't think it's a good idea to be sparring in your first few sessions; its pointless, most people still cant throw a proper punch or get their feet right. I've no real issue with getting thrown in early but it has to be controlled, and certainly not taking a beating. I've never heard of any gym allowing fighters to par with no gumshields

Back