is texas holdem poker a game of luck or skill?

This is about right.

Plus you have to factor internal emotions and state of mind. Everyone has an A-game, and its a matter of how often you bring it and how long you can sustain it.

Also, you have to factor structures. The percentage of luck is going to be higher as the stacks to blinds ratios are lower. i.e.: Tournaments vs cash game, turbo structures, short-stacked cash, cash with cap(meaning u can only lose up to a certain amount per hand), etc.
Yup.

I feel that is the strongest part of my game. I can play 18 hours straight on my A game and expect from myself zero mistakes or misplays. I'm definitely a grinder always searching for a victim. Someone I know is chasing despite not having the odds or not betting their made hand properly giving me odds. I like to punish people who make little misplays.

Both.

Out of all the poker games I feel it has the most luck

Yup.

I feel that is the strongest part of my game. I can play 18 hours straight on my A game and expect from myself zero mistakes or misplays. I'm definitely a grinder always searching for a victim. Someone I know is chasing despite not having the odds or not betting their made hand properly giving me odds. I like to punish people who make little misplays.
18 hours straight, jeez. I assume Joey Knish was based off you

409388-joey_knish_large.gif

Sitting there, grinding all day on your leather ass

Skill. Don't believe me, play with someone more experienced than you. They will bait you into betting poorly, and read your bets, body language and everything.

I think it's some of both. Also, a lot of patience as someone else said. I do think that because so much luck is involved, it's easy to go on a hot stretch where your skills get sloppy and a person could end up in a devastating and hear endless spiral downward afterward. I heard from pros that most poker pros taste being broke a time or two. But I can't deny the sixth sense skill of someone like a Daniel Negraneau.

Short term is luck

Long term is skill

While there's some luck involved, someone who isn't a skilled player will get eaten alive against pros.

"You, you see all the angles but never have the stones to play them."

I love that movie

its a game of luck.

those with skill can still thrive.

Luck exists within probability.

If you are down to your last $1000 and you need $100,000 desperately and I say to you I will give you a chance to make the $100,000 from me by picking a number from 1 to 1000 and if you guess the number I have written down here you get the $100,000 and you take the bet and guess the right number you were lucky.

I did not give you the proper odds to make that gamble. My pay out to you should have been $1MM for you to have the proper odds to take that bet. But you took it anyway despite the poor odds or probability of winning.

But on this day you beat the odds and won despite that fact. You were... lucky today to defy the odds.

See my Sig... Call it what you will.

I would say about 80% skill. Over 10,000 hands or so, water will find its level, so to speak. A true fish will lose the vast majority of the time, with luck bailing him out just often enough to keep him playing.

i like when simple rules for card games like "always hit on X" start circulating. i mean, you will always win then right? if you always do that? lol

No Limit Hold'em is a game of skill and guts. You've got to have the skill to know when and how much to bet and the guts to win with a losing hand.

Similar to mma i guess.

Good luck can beat skill but very rarely does.

Unlike say chess or basketball where the best basically always win.

Ha. Never really thought about it but that is almost exactly how I play.

I will change tables to get on the left of a loose/aggressive player or drunk and just stalk them for hours.

I look for guys who are stuck and at the tables hours longer than they want to be as they are hoping to win it all back in one big hand and thus chasing every big pot whether they have the odds to or not.

Of course it's skill and mathematical odds.

Sometimes you will lose but call a bet because of odds.

Back