Is Savate worth learning in 2022?

Every time you come to this forum you spread ignorance. Stick to what you know, clearly it isn't this

Stfu clingy loser. We're not even talking about kickboxing or Muay Thai. And I stand by what I said. GSP is a fake karate black belt from a mcdojo. No one said mcdojos can't teach a few kicks. You guys are like butt defending each other's bf. Pathetic af

this is actually extremely interesting I always thought french were into kickboxing and hard karate from savate influences. i mean im from indiana we dont have kyokushin karate schools in the rural corn fields but apparently quebec does

Stfu clingy loser. We're not even talking about kickboxing or Muay Thai. And I stand by what I said. GSP is a fake karate black belt from a mcdojo. No one said mcdojos can't teach a few kicks. You guys are like butt defending each other's bf. Pathetic af

And what credentials do you hold..

Unless your training at some generational gym in japan with direct lineage to the past masters of the style(s) being taught there... Your pretty much not at a real Karate gym or could be a at a Mc Dojo ..if youe situated in the west ..its unlikely your experiencing the real deal...but can come close...

So who exactly are you that you can pass judgement on GSP...

He trained in Karate for a long time. It wasn't something he just did as a kid.

He does apply karate principles in his fighting. Not everyone fights similar to their base.

Before the Serra loss he looked more Karate like too. He just became gun shy after that. Spinning back kicks and all that.

Before the Serra loss he looked more Karate like too. He just became gun shy after that. Spinning back kicks and all that.

Yes, he was a striker that used a lot of kicks. Kyokushin looks like kickboxing when applied in a lot of combat sports.

People claiming GSP is not a real karate fighter are usually not consistent with their criteria as many grapplers prefer to strike but no one would say Gilbert Burns is a fake Jiu jitsu fighter or Dan Henderson is a fake wrestler.

Some of that has to do with the fact that GSP came up during a time when the MMA community thought karate did not work. That's why that troll poster probably made the McDojo comment.

In response to the original question

Watch the Human Weapon episode on Savate :)

It is a fun and practical art. It has some interesting low kicks, targeting knees and thighs - but it's kickboxing at the end of the day.

If the school is very close to you I would try it at least once :)

The fakest karate blackbelt and from a mcdojo? Why talk out of your ass when you just don't have a clue?

GSP trained Kyokushin from age 7 until age 16 and even competed in some local tournaments. It's when his instructor died that he started transitioning to BJJ, wrestling, etc.

Sure he got his black belt at an early age but having done several years of Kyokushin myself I can definitely see it in GSP's style especially his kicking game and even to an extent in his stance and other aspects.
Getting a black belt at an early age isn't as taboo as people think it is. BJJ is the only style where it's supposed to take a decade. In other styles it's not supposed to take long since it doesn't signify being a master, just someone that has learned all the basics.

Getting a black belt at an early age isn't as taboo as people think it is. BJJ is the only style where it's supposed to take a decade. In other styles it's not supposed to take long since it doesn't signify being a master, just someone that has learned all the basics.

It's supposed to take long in Kyokushin too, close to a decade usually and kids being black belts isn't very common.

It's supposed to take long in Kyokushin too, close to a decade usually and kids being black belts isn't very common.

As someone who doesn't know anything about karate i was always sceptical of hearing about so many kids with black belts in my local area growing up. I had a kid in my year who was a black belt in some form of karate, and he even had pictures so he was obviously telling the truth, but one day he came to our mma club after school just to watch us muay thai folks spar. As the class was ending, one of the club member's friends from the year above came in just to walk home with his friend, by crazy coincidence he was also a black belt in some form of karate. Upon learning that both of them were karate black belts and had never met they decided to spar. Now, i'm not a karate expert but the black belt in my year couldn't lay a finger on the black belt from the year above and it had nothing to do with any physical advantages. That day i learned not all black belts are created equal.

I honestly wonder sometimes if that guy went on to achieve anything at world level or if he simply gave up after highschool.

Here's an article on the kid from the year above me back in the day - https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/karate-huddersfield-fighters-golden-return-5011184

"Then came the men’s turn and saw Lewis O’Gara slaughter the opposition to take gold in men’s over 5’10” light continuous and gold in men’s over 5’10” points."

As someone who doesn't know anything about karate i was always sceptical of hearing about so many kids with black belts in my local area growing up. I had a kid in my year who was a black belt in some form of karate, and he even had pictures so he was obviously telling the truth, but one day he came to our mma club after school just to watch us muay thai folks spar. As the class was ending, one of the club member's friends from the year above came in just to walk home with his friend, by crazy coincidence he was also a black belt in some form of karate. Upon learning that both of them were karate black belts and had never met they decided to spar. Now, i'm not a karate expert but the black belt in my year couldn't lay a finger on the black belt from the year above and it had nothing to do with any physical advantages. That day i learned not all black belts are created equal.

I honestly wonder sometimes if that guy went on to achieve anything at world level or if he simply gave up after highschool.

Here's an article on the kid from the year above me back in the day - https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/karate-huddersfield-fighters-golden-return-5011184

"Then came the men’s turn and saw Lewis O’Gara slaughter the opposition to take gold in men’s over 5’10” light continuous and gold in men’s over 5’10” points."

Not all karate black belts are equal just like not all fighters are equal. It massively depends on the style of Karate and even more so on the head instructors you got it from to be honest.

You could compare it to a university degree or a driving license, it means you've gone through the curriculum and showed you master the basics. The same degree could have a lot more worth if it's from a proper legit university vs a less known one, same with a Karate black belt from a proper legit style and instructor vs a random instructor, and just like a driving license doesn't mean you'll be a great driver, a karate black belt doesn't mean you'll be a great fighter.

Usually though Kyokushin black belts aren't easy to get and that's a pretty legit level especially considering there is conditioning drills to complete and full contact Kumite rounds as part of the gradings, some dojos even want their students to have competed in tournaments before they get their black belt.

Last edited:
I wonder if Oyama himself invented the idea a black belt = mastery. I know in Judo a black belt just means you have been training regularly for over 2 years.

I wonder if Oyama himself invented the idea a black belt = mastery. I know in Judo a black belt just means you have been training regularly for over 2 years.
It takes longer than that to get a black belt in Judo usually.

Also based on anecdotal experience I think Japanese people promote slower.

The US is a hotbed for bogus black belts. Just too many McDojos everywhere. Some even use belt ranking as a money making scheme. I never respected belts here.

The truth emerges! lol
the karate combat stadium thing was so bizarre i couldnt stop staring at it i couldnt tell what was fake.

i think they might have hired people to watch kinda like how tv shows with live audiences pays people to clap. the whole karate combat thing was a trip

anybody that says gsp has a fake belt doesnt understand winning or martial arts

you give belts to students for showing dedication and being good students

although you could be right maybe he was at a mcdojo but if he really was training kyokushin that means he wasnt training at a mcdojo. kyokushin is getting punched in the body and head kicked knocked out, as a business model kyokushin karate is not a good style for business at a mcdojo like the softer forms of karate.

imagine how many parents are willing to drop their kids off at a mcdojo tkd non contact school compared to a full contact kyokushin karate school

Last edited:

Definitely not. Black belt is the beginning of the journey, it just means you mastered the basics.

The US is a hotbed for bogus black belts. Just too many McDojos everywhere. Some even use belt ranking as a money making scheme. I never respected belts here.

It is definitely a much bigger trend in the US, which is no surprise considering the capitalistic and money making mentality of Americans.

Back