Is Savate worth learning in 2022?

SHAOLINMONK420

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Im so bored today anyways i have a savate place near my house that also does muay thai

no offense to the french but I wonder why the french thought savate wasnt as barbaric as muay thai. You get the same amount of brain damage from a savate punch as you do a muay thai thai k1 kickboxing punch (assuming everyone has headgear). I was referring to sparring where everyone wears headgear.

problems ive seen with savate on youtube=it looks like people are trying to compete and not actually fight. they hit like they are scoring points in a sports game.

It actually looks like a good base to get into karate combat cuz its just kicks and punches but gsp only wants people with karate backgrounds

AND NO i dont watch karate combat or see the point

That depends, are you looking to fight competitively? If so does this gym have a decent stable of fighters to train with? Is there a savate league were you live, if not how good is the kickboxing/ muay thai at this club.

Savate isn't bad, it just doesn't have many organizations outside of France. If you want to stay in shape and learn some self defense why not give it a try, especially if you don't have many gyms to choose from.

What the hell is a "muay thai thai k1 kickboxing punch"?
I think he's just trying to say "a punch is a punch".

I say see if they offer a free class and try it out, if their isn't anything else in your area that is more focused on Muay Thai or Kickboxing, it may be better than nothing.

I understood Savate to be, essentially, fencing with your body. So it was about point scoring and whatnot more than knockouts. I've seen a couple savate knockouts, though. So I'm not sure if this is a rule like in karate point fighting or a "gentleman's agreement" thing like they have in Muay Thai with understandings about what rounds you go hard in, etc.

It's a legit martial art so yes, it is worth learning. A lot of Savate is more point fighting - which can be useful as a base but won't really teach you how to fight in itself (for the most part). I think the prize fighting element of it faded out in popularity, Savate in general isn't very popular anymore.

I would say yes because it's near your house. Logistics is super important with training. If you're bored and looking for a new hobby I would not stress about finding the absolute best gym in your entire city or anything like that. Give Savate a try, if the gym seems like it's fun and professional then I think it's a good move. It's not like you're married to it you can always leave.

i think i was smoking way to much weed taking acid watching karate combat when i made this post. but savate does sorta remind me of old school karate combat rules. now they added knees. id like to see a savate guy fight some of these karate guys gsp. and gsp is from quebec im 100 percent certain the karate in quebec has to be influenced by savate

Last edited:
i think i was smoking way to much weed taking acid watching karate combat when i made this post. but savate does sorta remind me of old school karate combat rules. now they added knees. id like to see a savate guy fight some of these karate guys gsp. and gsp is from quebec im 100 percent certain the karate in quebec has to be influenced by savate
I doubt it. GSP has a Kyokushin background. Don't think any Savate played a role in his style.

GSP has to be the fakest karate "black belt". I'm 100% convinced GSP's karate background is just a Canadian mcdojo he probably trained at as a kid after school. Literally nothing in GSP's style is karate. He's a wrestle-boxer and always was and won all his fights this way.

Also I wouldn't recommend savate. It's basically point fighting with kicks. No wonder so much French do it

Quebec was mostly settled in the 1600s, in 1759 they were basically cut off from France by the British. I dont think there is any record of Savate that long ago.

GSP has to be the fakest karate "black belt". I'm 100% convinced GSP's karate background is just a Canadian mcdojo he probably trained at as a kid after school. Literally nothing in GSP's style is karate. He's a wrestle-boxer and always was and won all his fights this way.
You can see it a bit in his kicking style, but ya apparently he only did Kyokushin until he was 16 years old.

Also I wouldn't recommend savate. It's basically point fighting with kicks. No wonder so much French do it
He trained in Karate for a long time. It wasn't something he just did as a kid.

He does apply karate principles in his fighting. Not everyone fights similar to their base.

He trained in Karate for a long time. It wasn't something he just did as a kid.

He does apply karate principles in his fighting. Not everyone fights similar to their base.
He definitely has a legitimate kyokushin background, he won the Jr's national tournament. If you watch his early fights, the kyokushin influence is alot more apparent. He was always pretty well rounded, but he was alot more striking heavy until the he lost to Hughes in thier first fight. After the loss to Serra, wrestling and boxing fundamentals became his bread and butter. Not to say that he stopped kicking he just became a lot more conservative with his striking in general, and with his kicks in particular.

The fakest karate blackbelt and from a mcdojo? Why talk out of your ass when you just don't have a clue?

GSP trained Kyokushin from age 7 until age 16 and even competed in some local tournaments. It's when his instructor died that he started transitioning to BJJ, wrestling, etc.

Sure he got his black belt at an early age but having done several years of Kyokushin myself I can definitely see it in GSP's style especially his kicking game and even to an extent in his stance and other aspects.

Im so bored today anyways i have a savate place near my house that also does muay thai

no offense to the french but I wonder why the french thought savate wasnt as barbaric as muay thai. You get the same amount of brain damage from a savate punch as you do a muay thai thai k1 kickboxing punch (assuming everyone has headgear). I was referring to sparring where everyone wears headgear.

problems ive seen with savate on youtube=it looks like people are trying to compete and not actually fight. they hit like they are scoring points in a sports game.

It actually looks like a good base to get into karate combat cuz its just kicks and punches but gsp only wants people with karate backgrounds

AND NO i dont watch karate combat or see the point
Savate predates all Asian martial arta' arrival in Yurrp.

Anyways if you like the dandy, in and out footwork and are flexible enough, it s a great long range art.

Quebec was mostly settled in the 1600s, in 1759 they were basically cut off from France by the British. I dont think there is any record of Savate that long ago.
That s correct, savate doesn t exist in Québec.
I believe that the relative prevalence of kyokushin karate *could* be a French influence but I am not sure.
The prevalence of judo in Québec is absolutely a French influence though.

The fakest karate blackbelt and from a mcdojo? Why talk out of your ass when you just don't have a clue?

GSP trained Kyokushin from age 7 until age 16 and even competed in some local tournaments. It's when his instructor died that he started transitioning to BJJ, wrestling, etc.

Sure he got his black belt at an early age but having done several years of Kyokushin myself I can definitely see it in GSP's style especially his kicking game and even to an extent in his stance and other aspects.
I totally see kyokoshin in GSPs kicking, too.

Every time you come to this forum you spread ignorance. Stick to what you know, clearly it isn't this

Back