Is Ronda the only woman who can beat Cyborg?

Perhaps Ronda could have given her problems when her main strategy was instant take down to armbar. But when she started to falsely believe she had good striking, not a chance. After she lost to Holly, she lost all of her confidence forever.

So around 2012 Ronda may have had a chance.

Honestly, if Ronda was her pre boxing self, I think she could take her. Was watching some of her Strikeforce fights the other day, and she had a much better gameplan.

dude nah.

I get what you're saying, we follow the logic, but nah.... those upper-body takedowns only work if you can get inside without getting tagged, and even if Ronda could do that (which I don't think she could) I don't see her being strong or savvy enough to control Cyborg for any length of time.

You had a decent enough point until the end- if anyone is strong enough and savvy enough to have her way with Cyborg on the ground, it's a prime and hungry Ronda. People quickly forget the monster she was coming up, her ground game was absolutely elite. Tate gets some stick but she's a legit wrestling veteran, and Ronda just did whatever she felt like grappling-wise.

Now of course, she's had a taste of the easy life, her injuries from Judo won't be healing anytime soon, so she gets smashed by most decent WMMA fighters. But she was legit at the time.

Cyborg was unimpressive against Tonya Evinger and went into the third round before she was able to finish her.

Start that slow against Rousey and the fight might be over before you know what happened. Armbar ftw

You're talking like Evinger is a bum, she's tough as hell and had never been stopped by strikes until Cyborg and she was unbeaten in 11 fights and 6 years going into the Cyborg fight as Invicta champ that's a better record than nearly any girl already in the UFC.

By this logic, Ronda had the best chance of beating Amanda Nunes too... And we all saw how that turned out.

Cyborg's major weakness seems to be when she gets tossed onto her back. She looks kind of like a fish out of water. Ronda would kill her there.

Of course, the big question is if Cyborg would KO her first. I don't think she would. Cyborg hasn't shown 1 punch ability like Nunes has or the kicking ability that Holmes has. Cyborg finishes after hitting her opponents like 1000 times. That's 1000 chances for Ronda to do her thing.
What?

Cyborg's major weakness seems to be when she gets tossed onto her back. She looks kind of like a fish out of water. Ronda would kill her there.

Of course, the big question is if Cyborg would KO her first. I don't think she would. Cyborg hasn't shown 1 punch ability like Nunes has or the kicking ability that Holmes has. Cyborg finishes after hitting her opponents like 1000 times. That's 1000 chances for Ronda to do her thing.

Are you the only person stupid enough to ask that question?

I believe Rousey in her prime would have had a chance. The Rousey that walked out for her fight with Nunes appeared to have no confidence whatsoever. That Rousey I believe would be like a lamb to the slaughter.

To beat Justino, in my opinion, would require either kill switch power such as Nunes, or the size, strength, and skill to out grapple her. There aren't many women out there who possess the ability to pull off either of those options. I believe Harrison is still too much of an unknown. While Anderson has power, she is probably slower than Justino, and hasn't shown any evidence she could survive on the ground if the fight went there.

Like her or not, I don't think Cyborg is losing anytime soon.

Bellator's 145 champ is the only one who could handle the standup but she'd get taken down and smashed instead.
If anyone is going for takedowns in that fight it's Julia Budd, did you not know she's turned into a wrestler? She's Chick Kongo :D

I give Strikeforce Honda a much bigger chance of beating Cyborg than UFC/K1 Honda

During RRR prime, many thought she had a chance to beat Cyborg. Heck even I thought she had a chance if she could take her down.

What? Ronda would die.

I'm a big fan of Cyborg but let's be honest, she's been clueless when her opponents press against the cage the last 2 fights, so we can't rule out Ronda's chances.

Ronda has the right skillset to beat Cyborg but lets face it, she doesn't have the ability to face adversity in a fight.

She would be in a dogfight with Cyborg and would take a ton of damage. If she could stick to a takedown based gameplan, she might be able to do it but I think she is mentally not strong enough to get there.

You're talking like Evinger is a bum, she's tough as hell and had never been stopped by strikes until Cyborg and she was unbeaten in 11 fights and 6 years going into the Cyborg fight as Invicta champ that's a better record than nearly any girl already in the UFC.
Didn't intend to imply that. I was trying to point to Cyborgs performance in that fight. To be honest I was not impressed with much in the fight other than Cyborgs defensive head movement against Tonya's striking. Her TDD was not as good as I think it would need to be against a Ronda that wants to take the fight to the ground. If Ronda the boxer shows up then all bets are off.

You're right, Tonya is no slouch, but people act like Cyborg can just walk through anyone anytime. I don't think she's as strong in the clinch as would be necessary against Ronda. I could be wrong, but that's my perspective.

Cyborg's major weakness seems to be when she gets tossed onto her back. She looks kind of like a fish out of water.

When did that ever happened and what is it based on? According to Fightmetrics, the brief TD from Kunitskaya was the first time Cyborg has been taken down in ten years, and that's only because they don't have the stats for the older fights.

Last edited:
Back