Is Rome the greatest city ever?

I've heard a lot of people didn't like Rome but I really liked it. Some of the sites like Sistine Chapel and Coliseum Palantine Hill Etc for a one-time visit was incredible. I really enjoyed Florence as a city much more. If I were to go repetitively I would probably stick to Asissi. I really love that place. Italy as a whole is one of the few places I would ever go back there is just too much to see and I did not see a fraction. I missed the whole in Amalfi Coast the islands etc. But overall Italy is as pretty of a country as I've seen

Its definitely got stuff worth seeing in it I'd agree as you say its really more a collection of "sights" and I think can be done in 2-3 days, if I was going to stay say a week in one italian city taking it easy Rome would not be my choice.

Paris definitely beats Rome for me in terms of having the cites and being nicer to hang around in, plus in France I think the best food is in the capital with the countryside often not that great, in Italy the reverse.

In order for Rome to become what it is, it had to pillage, conquer, and enslave. They committed genocides, brutal rapes, stole, and sold children. Without, all those famous and ancient structures never have been built.

Its definitely got stuff worth seeing in it I'd agree as you say its really more a collection of "sights" and I think can be done in 2-3 days, if I was going to stay say a week in one italian city taking it easy Rome would not be my choice.

Paris definitely beats Rome for me in terms of having the cites and being nicer to hang around in, plus in France I think the best food is in the capital with the countryside often not that great, in Italy the reverse.

Agreed. I will get back there one day. My number one travel rule is to never to the same place twice... too many beautiful places on this earth. Two exceptions. Egypt/Israel and Italy

I lived in Rome.

Times have changed, monuments covered in graffiti and shit being trashed.

I think the Glory of Athens was more impressive and more sophisticated. However, I like Rome more, and believe that they had greater rulers/leaders (i.e. Julius Caesar, Augustus, Hadrian, Trajan, et al) although Pericles and Alcibiades were incredible leaders themselves.

But as someone who has a degree in classical studies, it is my opinion that the Romans were not as sophisticated as the Athenians.

1. 5th Century BC Athens
2. 2nd Century AD Rome

{gap}

3. Egyptians, Phoenicians/Carthaginians, Etruscans in their respective apices.

People say some really fuckin weird shit on the internet lmao

Even the Roman concrete underwater from bridges is still intact. We don't even understand how that is possible, lol. We can't duplicate it.

Rome is cool, but overrated imo. Amazing food, yes, cool sites...if you're a tourist type person, BUT crazy pick pockets, actually kind of dirty...meh...give me NO any day @Cint

The greatest city ever doesn't need Photoshop

That culture. Savant. Sophistication.

c700x420.jpg

image-02-large.jpg

rome-italy.jpg

Rome-Today.jpg
Its all subjective.

Hollywood makes these ancient cities look so glamorous, especially the women. But with no dentistry, mouthwash, razors, tampons, deodorant, I'm thinking it may have looked and smelled awful back then. Like France now

I've been there twice as an adult, I think. First time in 2006, 2nd in 2009. I also believe I was there back in the 80s as a little kid. I haven't been there as much as I have other European cities, but it's up there as far as architecture and the like goes.

In order for Rome to become what it is, it had to pillage, conquer, and enslave. They committed genocides, brutal rapes, stole, and sold children. Without, all those famous and ancient structures never have been built.

Well.......aren't you just a ray of sunshine.
IMG_1452.JPG

Although, that's pretty much true of all great civilizations.

Most beautiful city in the world imo. To live there, not so much...
Plus as someone else mentioned, graffiti (and neglect in general) is becoming a big problem

It's nice, I've been there, but if you really want to go to a city that will wet your whistle, bring your big city thirst to Flint, Michigan.

Back