is one set enough?

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

Is 1 set for each body part enough to look better?

Go ask at bodybuilding.com or the like. This forum is for strength and conditioning.

1 set per hour? As long as you train for 8 hrs you'll be fine.

Something like increasing push-up, chinups pulls ups doing one set a few times a day. Greasing the groove is what it’s called.

You should aim for more than that. You can Google for more information, but I would aim for at least 3 sets of each exercise that you incorporate into your program.

Fuck me! That's a lot of sets. Can you work out your iliac crest though?

Hypertrophy is largely volume-dependent. Single sets are unlikely to work to stimulate growth past the novice stage, and total amount of volume is likely to have to increase over your lifting career.

Hypertrophy is largely volume-dependent. Single sets are unlikely to work to stimulate growth past the novice stage, and total amount of volume is likely to have to increase over your lifting career.
Nice with a balanced post. Good points.

In regards to single sets (barring warmup), in some cases it's not entirely useless depending on the total amount of work and time under tension. It's the same with isometric holds. As an example of the former, the 1x20 squat workout with progressive overload seems to work pretty well for hypertrophy in most people. I can imagine a 1x20 bench program could have simular effect. What's your thoughts?

Yes. I did it about 20 years ago.

Mon, Wed, Friday Each body part once a week. Warm up set, then go all out on your work set. 2 seconds concentric/4 seconds eccentric. There were some drop sets and super sets. No workout lasted longer than 20-30 minutes max. I had already been working out for years at this point and gained 8 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks. It took me a good six days to recover. I wouldn't recommend it for any sort of performance as you'll be sore all the time if you are doing the workout correctly.

You will see some benefit, but if you go this route of 1 set, I would go super slow on the negative(eccentric contraction).

Try:
4 seconds on the negative
and 2 seconds on the positive motion.

This will give you benefit in both size and strength. I like to cycle different programs every 4-8 weeks, and would recommend you do the same for maximum benefit.

In regards to single sets (barring warmup), in some cases it's not entirely useless depending on the total amount of work and time under tension. It's the same with isometric holds. As an example of the former, the 1x20 squat workout with progressive overload seems to work pretty well for hypertrophy in most people. I can imagine a 1x20 bench program could have simular effect. What's your thoughts?

Those 1x20 sets are usually rest-pause, so it's a way of making the definition of "one set" kind of wibbly wobbly.

Back before my latest injury, I liked to use box squats for multiple sets of 20, which was surprisingly not that hellish (because of the no real eccentric part and using a SSB)

Due to my time constraints these days I'm basically doing 80%x5, 90%x1 92%x1 and then a set of 20 at 60%. increase your max only when you can hit 20 good reps.

Make it 40 reps at 65 percent of your max, and it'll probably get you somewhere.

Add Kroc rows to that... one set of at least 20 reps to failure. Many people, myself included, have seen good results from that rep range/set scheme.

You can get an effective workout with one set if there’s high intensity.

Anecdotal evidence and science have proven do at least three sets. Either three work sets, or two warm ups with one work set. Now away with you metrosexual fairy lol.

If you're a fat fuck, yes.

Don't go overboard and make your greasy lard-ridden heart explode

Back