is Krav Maga really effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
they kick like fucking pussies, they do tkd/karate style snap kicks.

It's easier to kick someone in the balls with a snapkick. It's not as powerful, but its faster and more precise.

no ones turning this into a style on style thread, and no one is saying they would clinch a guy with a knife numnuts.
dont assume to know what im thinking.

Then don't assume what will happen in a streetfight. Do you think everyone gets into a streetfight with rules in mind like in the ring? The majority of fights include a weapon of some kind so any type of training that includes weapon defense is functional in my opinion. Last time I checked Muay Thai included no weapon defense. If you are looking for video proof of Krav Maga vs. (insert style of choice) then google it instead of knocking the art.

Why don't you follow the username you've chosen and show respect for not only Thai fighters that came before you but fighters of all arts.

Krav Maga is only useful on handcuffed Lebanese and Palestinian kids. IDF doesn't use it for real fighting. If they don't have their opponent outgunned or outnumbered, they will run away.

Umm...why not try a class with a qualified instructor, then decide whether that particular gym is good for you or not?

Krav Maga is just like any other martial art/self defense system: the quality of instructor can make or break a particular training location.

There are shitty instructors in Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, TKD, Wrestling, etc. etc. You should try out a bunch of gyms and decide which one you like best in all cases.

And BTW - Not sure what shitty Krav Maga school the people describing the snap kicks are going to, but I was always taught to land with my shin and break straight through the other side. For example, when kicking to the groin, we were taught to land with the shin and try to lift the person as far off the ground as possible. To quote my instructor, "You're not trying to kick the testicles, you're trying to break the pelvic bone. The testicles just get in the way."

Krav Maga is only useful on handcuffed Lebanese and Palestinian kids. IDF doesn't use it for real fighting. If they don't have their opponent outgunned or outnumbered, they will run away.

And you're an idiot. The IDF is known worldwide for their effective hand-to-hand, counter terrorism, and weapons training. To those in the know (ie-active military, esp. special forces), the IDF is seen as the gold standard in counter terrorism. Israel deals with terrorism on a daily basis and has adapted their techniques based on actual experience. And they send trainers to most other nations to help out with counter terrorism training, including the UK, the US, Jordan, Russia, China, etc.

The fact is, military hand-to-hand systems aren't built to make the trainee a competitive athlete. They're built to bring the trainee to a proficient level in the shortest amount of time possible, develop an aggressive mentality, and give the trainee an option should he be separated from his weapons or his weapons become inoperable. The military version of Krav Maga does all of this and does it well.

The civilian version of Krav Maga has been watered down a bit from the military version, for obvious reasons (do you really need to know how to disarm someone with an active grenade?). But it's still quite effective as a self-defense system.

Additionally, the training methods used take a rediculously short amount of time to get someone proficient enough to defend themselves and escape an attack.

Bas Rutten has worked extensively with Krav Maga Worldwide, the main Krav Maga organization in the US, and he advocates the system as an effective form of self defense. If you disagree, try traveling to the National Training Center in Los Angeles and taking a class or two. You might find that what you might've been exposed to in terms of Krav Maga was nothing close to what Krav Maga actually is.

you don't need any training to squeeze someones nutsack.
my wife has never trained in anything but krabi krabong, if i get her in a RNC she will go for the nuts.
anyone will in the street if the lights are about to go out.

I've found that most people

I've seen some Israeli military Krav Maga training videos and it looks like they go pretty hard on each other - but I haven't heard of Krav Maga academies in general using the same sparring practices.

KMOne was sent as part of their marketing machine, dont give in... lol. Or go ahead, go to a class and see how much it sucks. Ive been to the national training center in LA. Im telling you guys no matter how "good" the KM gym is it still sucks.

Umm...why not try a class with a qualified instructor, then decide whether that particular gym is good for you or not?

Krav Maga is just like any other martial art/self defense system: the quality of instructor can make or break a particular training location.

There are shitty instructors in Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, TKD, Wrestling, etc. etc. You should try out a bunch of gyms and decide which one you like best in all cases.

And BTW - Not sure what shitty Krav Maga school the people describing the snap kicks are going to, but I was always taught to land with my shin and break straight through the other side. For example, when kicking to the groin, we were taught to land with the shin and try to lift the person as far off the ground as possible. To quote my instructor, "You're not trying to kick the testicles, you're trying to break the pelvic bone. The testicles just get in the way."

Thats true you guys do teach kick through on the balls. But on your round kicks and other kicks you guys have atrocious technique. Your striking and stance are overall super low quality. It seems like the only thing KM guys know how to do is kick in the balls.

and I say it doesnt suck..do you really have any criteria for "sucking" or are you just talking out of your ass?? i mean seriously, exactly how does it suck so badly? I'd like to hear some specifics.

KMOne was sent as part of their marketing machine, dont give in... lol. Or go ahead, go to a class and see how much it sucks. Ive been to the national training center in LA. Im telling you guys no matter how "good" the KM gym is it still sucks.

Are you going to tell the Israelis that it doesn't work? I sure as hell am not.

Ok dont take my word for it, Im looking up video demonstrations from youtube and posting them. Let people here with MMA experience judge and see what they think. Im posting up the videos that Krav people are posting to be fair. Some are just random, they are all from one user on youtube that has a lot of Krav Maga videos.

YouTube - Krav Maga on Good Morning America Now <--- this was one for tv

YouTube - Kevin Lewis Krav Maga Promo Vid

YouTube - Krav Maga Choke With A Push Defense

YouTube - The Best Krav Maga Demo Video Period! <--- this is the way they train in class, doing demosntrations on some person that is never resisting

YouTube - Krav Maga Shotgun Attack Defense

This guys has a lot of videos YouTube - KravCam's Channel

Now people can judge the quality of this martial art for themselves.

so because you've seen a few videos on youtube, you think you know how krav maga is trained everywhere??

Ok dont take my word for it, Im looking up video demonstrations from youtube and posting them. Let people here with MMA experience judge and see what they think. Im posting up the videos that Krav people are posting to be fair. Some are just random, they are all from one user on youtube that has a lot of Krav Maga videos.

YouTube - Krav Maga on Good Morning America Now <--- this was one for tv

YouTube - Kevin Lewis Krav Maga Promo Vid

YouTube - Krav Maga Choke With A Push Defense

YouTube - The Best Krav Maga Demo Video Period! <--- this is the way they train in class, doing demosntrations on some person that is never resisting

YouTube - Krav Maga Shotgun Attack Defense

This guys has a lot of videos YouTube - KravCam's Channel

Now people can judge the quality of this martial art for themselves.

so because you've seen a few videos on youtube, you think you know how krav maga is trained everywhere??

I trained Krav Maga for a little while. Then I saw Muay Thai at a gym and was in awe of it, I never looked back. Im pretty sure I said that somewhere in the thread. When I was training the stuff we were doing was pretty much like those videos.

I've seen some Israeli military Krav Maga training videos and it looks like they go pretty hard on each other - but I haven't heard of Krav Maga academies in general using the same sparring practices.

My instructor had us sparring a bunch and we were told to go "as hard as both of you agree to go." He suggested starting out at about 40%-50% and going from there. We had two different types of sparring: stand up only and no rules.

In stand up only, we used boxing head gear, 16 oz. boxing gloves, forearm/elbow pads, shin/instep guards, groin protections, mouth protection, and always wore shoes. The only strikes that were limited were to the throat and eyes. Groin strikes were not only allowed, but encouraged.

In no rules sparring, we used all the same gear, but the boxing gloves were replaced with MMA gloves. It was suggested that hand strikes start around 30%-40% and, again, progress from there, depending on what the partners were comfortable with. There would be about 4-5 sets of sparring partners going at the same time. Every now and then, the instructor would quietly tell someone who was sparring to stop sparring the person they were going with and attack someone who was sparring against someone else. This gave the feel of the unpredictability of a street fight, forced you to keep your eyes open and your back covered, and made sure that you didn't use techniques that required you to tie up too much with one combatant.

Overall, when I compare our Krav sparring sessions with kickboxing and boxing sessions I've done since, it was pretty decent. Definitely not as technical, but that's not what Krav Maga is supposed to be. It is what it is: brutal, efficient, and fast.

dont see any Krav Maga guys in the UFC do you?

Overall, when I compare our Krav sparring sessions with kickboxing and boxing sessions I've done since, it was pretty decent. Definitely not as technical, but that's not what Krav Maga is supposed to be. It is what it is: brutal, efficient, and fast.

Oh please, as if Muay Thai cant be considered "brutal, effecient, and fast." Power and effeciency come from the use of proper techniques, something Krav Maga totally fails to do.

Honestly, the best thing for anyone who wants to defend themselves. Go out and learn Muay Thai or MMA. Then learn dirty tricks as an afterthought. Dont waste your time with the watered down poor techniques of Krav Maga.

dont see any Krav Maga guys in the UFC do you?

Almost 4000 posts and then you make a comment like that. A guy posted that same comment on my site, and I will anwser you the same way I did to him.

There is a difference between MMA and Self Defence. If the guys in the ufc did not wear cups and groin kicks were allowed, you would be amazed how much the sport would change.

You wouldn't see the square stance that people stand in now so they can check low-kicks because they would get kicked in the nuts. And grabbing the groin and twisting it would be a great escape to many submissions, or biting nipples like Roy Harris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back