is Krav Maga really effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course in a perfect world you would shoot them, but your telling me there have been no ambushes or other times when hand to hand had to be used?

isn't this what they're training a lot of the cops in these days? i have a couple of friends who are correctional officers and say they've trained in this stuff.

Yea, I have heard a lot of cops train aikido too. So what cops do doesn't really inspire me. One of my good friends is a cop in a really bad city and he went to the training academy and said they had some of the worth unarmed combat instruction he had ever seen.

I have kicked people in the balls and poked their eyes in street fights all with great success. Yes, Krav Maga is very effective

Whats funny is I just checked out the rest of hellboy31s' post and its clear he is an Israeli supporter to the bitter end.

Ofcourse Krav Maga being an Israeli based self defense system.

The techniques in Krav are, for the most part, good, basic, and effective.
Once again, if you want to see what they are, just click here:
Krav Maga DFW Curriculum Main Page

Whether or not someone can effectively use these techniques is an ENTIRELY different question. That is completely dependent on the instructor's competency and the student's dedication to training.

My guess is that a lot of Krav schools have instructors who haven't mastered the skills they are trying to teach and students who aren't training intensively.

There's no quick fix. To learn to strike and defend effectively in any fighting system/MA, you need to train extensively under good instructors.

The reason that Krav is taught to Israeli military recruits is that it's a decent way of quickly learning some RUDIMENTARY self-defense techniques. This may give the recruits some advantage over the average person on the street who has had no training. How would someone who has trained Krav for a few weeks fare in a self-defense encounter against someone who has trained extensively in boxing/MT/BJJ/Judo/etc.? Poorly.

How would someone who has trained Krav intensively for several years with good instructors fare in a self-defense encounter against someone with no fight training? I think the Krav practitioner would have a significant advantage.

How would someone who has trained Krav intensively for several years with good instructors fare in a self-defense encounter against someone who has trained extensively in boxing/MT/BJJ/Judo/etc.? Hard to say...

chemi 242 you must quit watching rambo movies. no one in or around the gaza strip is going to engage in hand to hand combat.
when your armed to the teeth why would you discard your rifle and resort to krav maga.

chemi 242 you must quit watching rambo movies. no one in or around the gaza strip is going to engage in hand to hand combat.
when your armed to the teeth why would you discard your rifle and resort to krav maga.

Different focus. It isn't for sport, you don't have matches to post. But it is extremely effective for self defense. Much more so than BJJ, boxing, kick boxing, wrestling. Those are more for sports.

show me a krav instuctor who can whip a muay thai or boxing world champ, in my oppinion it aint gonna happen
i'm not saying krav is not effective but i have sparred world class fighters before and i have to say thank god we had gloves on.

When practicing thai boxing at my gym this Krav Maga instructor was giving private lesson to some scrub.

They were doing kicks and scrub asked him how to kick like me (I was mauling the bag) and if this is Krav Maga.....

instructor said..... something along 'well that's kick boxing kick we do same thing but better...' and he shows half ass TKD kick... to the groin....

yeah......

Oh if you try eye poking in NYC you will be doing some years in prison if you don't get beat the shit out of by on lookers.

I'm no Krav Maga fan but this is a funny thread guys. The ultimate "my style is better than your style" discussion.

Question for the masses:
If there were 2 or more guys attacking you or if there were an attacker with a weapon (knife, bat, pipe, etc.) would you really stick to your Thai boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, or style of choice?

Try to roll or thai clinch a dude with a knife, tell me what happens.

I'm not the most eloquent guy, but I'll try to put my thoughts together so they make some sense. I've been training Krav Maga for a tad over a year, I've competed in a few grappling tournaments and am prepping for ana amateur muay thai fight, so I've had a little taste of a few different facets of fighting. With Krav, I dont think it will make you a good "fighter" per se. Mainly the focus is to train you to react correctly in a highly stressful situation. You never really train to fight, its more to drill a reaction to an attack (choke, knife to the throat etc), do alot of damage quickly and escape... i know personally, i did krav for a while before branching off into any competitive stuff, and it was a big shift in thinking.... but i think the training would allow you do act agressively and do enough damage quickly (groin shots, eye gouges etc) that it would never really turn inot a "fight". I dunno hopefully that made some kind of sense.

no ones turning this into a style on style thread, and no one is saying they would clinch a guy with a knife numnuts.
dont assume to know what im thinking.

Whats funny is I just checked out the rest of hellboy31s' post and its clear he is an Israeli supporter to the bitter end.

Ofcourse Krav Maga being an Israeli based self defense system.

My post was a joke idiot. And yes, I do support Israel and I am Jewish. I also have sympathy for the innocent Palestinians who are caught up in the situation Hamas has put them in. But this thread had nothing to do with politics. It's funny that you felt the need to sherdog stalk me based on one tongue and cheek remark. Probably time to get a life you brainwashed, easily manipulated by the supposed "zionist media machine", sheep.

My post was a joke idiot. And yes, I do support Israel and I am Jewish. I also have sympathy for the innocent Palestinians who are caught up in the situation Hamas has put them in. .
what about the situation the israeli government and settlers have put them in?

When practicing thai boxing at my gym this Krav Maga instructor was giving private lesson to some scrub.

They were doing kicks and scrub asked him how to kick like me (I was mauling the bag) and if this is Krav Maga.....

instructor said..... something along 'well that's kick boxing kick we do same thing but better...' and he shows half ass TKD kick... to the groin....

yeah......

Oh if you try eye poking in NYC you will be doing some years in prison if you don't get beat the shit out of by on lookers.

they kick like fucking pussies, they do tkd/karate style snap kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back