Is Khan's chin that bad?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Khan has often been said to have a glass jaw, but does he really, or is it just below-average? He took punches from Maidana and never went down, and Canelo and Prescott are hard punchers.

all things being relative, yes, he does in my opinion. It could have just been he got caught by some good shots when he was cold, that happens to guys with decent chins even though the secret has been out that you should warm up before a fight. I knew a guy, mma'r who could take a beating, i heard he didn't warm up before one of his fights and he got kayoed right away. anyway, a glass jaw on that level might not be as bad as we think. floyd patterson was said to have a glass jaw but he got through a lot of fights and a lot of punches with good fighters. so, when it came to punchers, yes, floyd had a glass jaw, when it came to people who couldn't kill you he did ok usually, still he was down, what was it? 11 times in his career? for a heavyweight champ that's a record.

Last edited:
I doubt Khan doesn't warm up, he can speedbag an empty water bottle and make it float, this is the real deal here.

I'd say below average. We haven't seen him back in the ring since Canelo knocked him into a living death so maybe he's full out china-chinned now.

people who say a fighter has a glass jaw severely underestimate the power of high level professional boxers. the thing is, to succeed at the highest level, you need an abnormal ability to absorb punishment, because some bad motherfuckers will be hitting you ridiculously hard.

i'd say khan's chin is nothing to write home about, but it isn't shitty either. he just got hit by some hard punches.

I doubt Khan doesn't warm up, he can speedbag an empty water bottle and make it float, this is the real deal here.
i wouldn't know, i'm constantly surprised by how many top fighters haven't warmed up, totally senseless. Some guys are hardheaded or what have you, i don't know. Lots of people have assbackwards ideas, even successful people. I couldn't believe that Jack Lalane said that warming up was stupid, guy had all kinds of credentials and experience and he couldn't see the value of warming up before a workout.

I think he gets wobbled too often to say he has a good chin. A bigger problem of his is getting caught up in his own offense imo. Once he decides to throw a combination it seems like he goes on autopilot until it's over. His head stays perfectly center while he punches too, so he's not that hard to find.

Good recent example of what I'm talking about.
boxer.gif

I don't get what warming up has to do with getting knocked out.

The impact of the punch causes your brain to move about and for you to lose consciousness so how is that countered by warming up? If that was the case then surely you'd only see ko's in the early rounds as you'd think a fighter fighting for 3 or 4 rounds will have them as warmed up as they ever get by warming up.

Khans 'only' been stopped 3 times and in two of them he got up after the first knockdown before getting put down again and stopped so his chin can't be that bad. Prescott at the time had only ever gone the distance in 2 of his 19 fights/wins and getting ko'd by Canelo and Garcia doesn't mean you can't take a punch. The punch Canelo hit him with would have knocked any lightwelter fighting at middleweight out.

Maidana also had him in loads of trouble but he hit him with loads of shots and still didn't stop him. I think Michael Gomez put him down too and Julio Diaz so he's got up off the canvas to win 3 fights.

Clearly he's not got a great chin but it's not terrible either or he'd have at least 3 more losses than he has as fighters with glass chins don't get up to win fights.

Is this some sort of Khan appreciation society here?

He's got a fucking shit set of whiskers, his balance is really poor and if he gets hit at the right time, he gets hurt and often drops

People who have a good chin stay up regardless of whether they are off balance, moving the wrong way...it does not matter.....Khan has a terrible chin

People always forget Khan’s demise in the Garcia fight was an equilibrium punch behind his ear for the 1st kd and then a grazing punch to his head for the 2nd kd

Malignaggi landed a few on Khan’s chin and he didnt even flinch

People really over exagerrate on how bad Khan’s chin is

Is this some sort of Khan appreciation society here?

He's got a fucking shit set of whiskers, his balance is really poor and if he gets hit at the right time, he gets hurt and often drops

People who have a good chin stay up regardless of whether they are off balance, moving the wrong way...it does not matter.....Khan has a terrible chin
i never saw him fight, so not admiration from me. i'm just mentioning that there is a relativity thing going on with a chin. Floyd Patterson had a glass chin as a champion, getting knocked down by every other challenger and kayoed by Johannsen and Liston. He still went on, post-championship, fighting top contenders and not getting kayoed again until his second ali fight. Part of that might have been stylistic changes, but the biggest part, in my opinion, was that he was really a middleweight fighting heavyweights. Had he been fighting in the lower divisions, his chin might have been rated pretty good.

i'm watching a reel of his kayoes now, jeez, why was he fighting canelo? wasn't khan a lightweight? he sure got clobbered, that shot in particular would have kayoed a lot of guys.

i'm watching a reel of his kayoes now, jeez, why was he fighting canelo? wasn't khan a lightweight? he sure got clobbered, that shot in particular would have kayoed a lot of guys.

Money is the only answer.

Below average chin, below average toughness. They combine and make it seem like his chin is worse than it is.

Khan has often been said to have a glass jaw, but does he really, or is it just below-average? He took punches from Maidana and never went down, and Canelo and Prescott are hard punchers.
For an elite level fighter, its pretty poor. It has a bit to do with his fight IQ too though. He's not the smartest guy in the ring. Against Garcia, he was just staying in exchanges for too long when he took a lead and when he got tagged he couldn't recover, even after a break in rounds.

No matter the reason, he responds poorly to punches and its a bad quality in a boxer.

Khans been a welterweight for a number of years now.

Canelo fought at welter for quite a while too.

His chin is shit but his recovery is pretty damn good. He gets buzzed easily and often in nearly every fight but he almost always recovers and wins anyway. Look how many times Chris Algeri wobbled him and he has no power whatsoever.

Lots of guys with much better chins get hurt and stay hurt so they get stopped. Khan gets hurt much more easily but one round later he's just fine.

Some of you seem to be thinking having a glass jaw and shit recovery are the same thing. They most certainly are not. Khan has a bad chin and very good recovery. Plus as much as I dislike him he has heart all day long so he doesn't let getting hurt stop him. You finish him or you lose.

Back