Is Khan's chin that bad?

Well below average chin. The guys who put him down pack a hell of a punch.

Well below average chin. The guys who put him down pack a hell of a punch.
But then he also seemed bothered at times by Chris Algieri and Julio Diaz.

People always forget Khan’s demise in the Garcia fight was an equilibrium punch behind his ear for the 1st kd and then a grazing punch to his head for the 2nd kd

Malignaggi landed a few on Khan’s chin and he didnt even flinch

People really over exagerrate on how bad Khan’s chin is
Mate, Malignaggi's hands are softer than Khan's chin is weak.

Khans been a welterweight for a number of years now.

Canelo fought at welter for quite a while too.
ok, first time i saw a pic or vid of khan he was a lean lightweight and canelo looks pretty big.

ok, first time i saw a pic or vid of khan he was a lean lightweight and canelo looks pretty big.
He began at lightweight, yes. But he's been fighting at 147 for a while without appearing to be at a size disadvantage.

anyway, speaking of chins, it is a relative thing, look at how joe frazier was able to eat shots from all the leading contenders and Ali never beat a man as bad as he did frazier in the first fight in my opinion, not even in manila, and frazier only wobbled a couple times. yet foreman bounced him up and down like a basketball. Frazier had a great chin and was durable but foreman was just too big for him and never gave him a chance to get out of trouble. Joe tried, he got up every single time.

Am I taking the term “glass chin” too literally and you guys use the term to describe a guy like Khan, who clearly cannot withstand hard punches in the proximity of his chin???

I remember a long time ago when Mundine got KTFO by Ottke who at the time was the worst champ ever and hit like a girl, it was baffling to see, but it was a solid punch to the temple which is more catastrophic to a fighters health long term, anyway, a punch to the chin isnt the only way to ko a fighter is the point ive been trying to make all along

But then he also seemed bothered at times by Chris Algieri and Julio Diaz.
Ya, I dont think having his lights brutally shut off multiple times has done him any favors in taking punches.

Last edited:
Am I taking the term “glass chin” too literally and you guys use the term to describe a guy like Khan, who clearly cannot withstand hard punches in the proximity of his chin???

I remember a long time ago when Mundine got KTFO by Ottke who at the time was the worst champ ever and hit like a girl, it was baffling to see, but it was a solid punch to the temple which is more catastrophic to a fighters health long term, anyway, a punch to the chin isnt the only way to ko a fighter is the point ive been trying to make all along
ya, that's why i'm not too strict with how i rate chins. I've seen guys with great chins or great reputed chins fall from powder puff punches. I'll never forget when the never floored Edwin rosario came the closes to kissing the canvas, it wasn't chavez or Randall who did it, it was feather fisted howard davis. I think a kayo punch is a lot of factors, not just punching power, and, as floyd patterson once said when he was baffled by how young clay knocked down Sonny Liston when liston had eaten shots from huge punchers before "maybe the body is made so that you can take a better punch on some days than others". lots of factors, some i have listed is, being caught cold (as liston probably was) timing, seeing the shot coming and some people like Alex Wallau seem to think a fighters heart has some effect, i don't know if i believe that one myself, i've seen big hearted fighters with bad chins. I've also confusingly seen fighters who couldn't take a shot like Benitez, take some pretty good shots without going anywhere.

ya, that's why i'm not too strict with how i rate chins. I've seen guys with great chins or great reputed chins fall from powder puff punches. I'll never forget when the never floored Edwin rosario came the closes to kissing the canvas, it wasn't chavez or Randall who did it, it was feather fisted howard davis. I think a kayo punch is a lot of factors, not just punching power, and, as floyd patterson once said when he was baffled by how young clay knocked down Sonny Liston when liston had eaten shots from huge punchers before "maybe the body is made so that you can take a better punch on some days than others". lots of factors, some i have listed is, being caught cold (as liston probably was) timing, seeing the shot coming and some people like Alex Wallau seem to think a fighters heart has some effect, i don't know if i believe that one myself, i've seen big hearted fighters with bad chins. I've also confusingly seen fighters who couldn't take a shot like Benitez, take some pretty good shots without going anywhere.
This reminded me of a stupid statement Arum said about UFC fighters not having chins, for all we know Floyd and Benitez (in his prime) had terrible chins but rarely caught clean punches to the chin because of their exceptional defense, in which case like Khan’s, he always had sub par defense, hence the ko losses.

Its shit in comparison to his peers but probably far better than the average joe.

People blow it out of proportion. But his defense is pretty weak at times. He puts his hand down, then gets caught with a strong one.

There no really a good or bad chin.

Its the ability to see punches coming, and Khan seems to lack that

There no really a good or bad chin.

Its the ability to see punches coming, and Khan seems to lack that
Ridiculous post is ridiculous.

Oh Lord no, not a MALIGNAGGI punch. The humanity.

People always forget Khan’s demise in the Garcia fight was an equilibrium punch behind his ear for the 1st kd and then a grazing punch to his head for the 2nd kd

The guy with 7 knockouts in like 40 fights lol

Back