Is Judo effective in a streetfight?

Maybe you do and maybe you don't.

Depends on skill level but have you seen the size of some people these days? lol

I don't like to make too many assumptions about my opponent's skill level. Even a year of training or a wrestling background makes a difference.

Yes and with size/strength difference your margin for error shrinks rapidly. It might not be an issue for many arts but it is an enormous risk to turn in for a Judo throw, so one would be advised to have every advantage to use it in a street fight.

I'v recently restarted Judo after doing it for maybe a year as a kid but me and my friends have been disagreeing about teh merits of it. I say it would obviously be an advantage in a street fight as it improves you're balance, grip and grappling strength as well as adding various techniques such as throw and submissions etc, i mean i'm a big guy but i got easily threw around at practise by people that werent even trying. They are trying to say taht it is useless because if you go into a fight looking for a throw you will more than likely be caught by a punch and get smashed.

Do you think Judo is a good weapon to have in a street fight?
Hell yes, trips and throws both.

Imagine getting Uchi-mata'd on asphalt or concrete. That would mess somebody up.

A local story from yesterday morning in Osaka, Japan:
Yesterday morning, a guy follows a woman, working as a nurse in a kindergarten.
She parks her bicycle and enters the premises, where she looks through the window, just to see the guy stealing the bicycle seat (!?) and running away.
She chases him down the street, catches him, trips him with Ouchigari (turns out she is a recreational judoka) and PINS HIM DOWN FOR TWENTY MINUTES, until the police arrives.

Point 1:
She was under 60kg, pervert was 78kg
Point 2:
He tried biting her tits and punching her in the face, which only managed to enrage her even more, so she tightened the pin
Point 3:
An 18 kg lighter girl can hold a guy down for 20 min, if proper technique is used... 20 minutes... let that sink in...

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160725-00000004-kantelev-l27

Boxing+judo are the two best arts to train if you want to become dangerous in a (relatively) short amount of time. Nasty combo, and someone competent in both arts isn't going to be taken lightly by anyone.

A local story from yesterday morning in Osaka, Japan:
Yesterday morning, a guy follows a woman, working as a nurse in a kindergarten.
She parks her bicycle and enters the premises, where she looks through the window, just to see the guy stealing the bicycle seat (!?) and running away.
She chases him down the street, catches him, trips him with Ouchigari (turns out she is a recreational judoka) and PINS HIM DOWN FOR TWENTY MINUTES, until the police arrives.

Point 1:
She was under 60kg, pervert was 78kg
Point 2:
He tried biting her tits and punching her in the face, which only managed to enrage her even more, so she tightened the pin
Point 3:
An 18 kg lighter girl can hold a guy down for 20 min, if proper technique is used... 20 minutes... let that sink in...

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160725-00000004-kantelev-l27

The natural ambient lava and HIV needles that exist on teh streets obviously must have been working against him.

Last edited:
The natural ambient lava and HIV needles that exist on teh streets obviously must have been working against hi.
Or maybe she simply had her technique down to perfection
... and had no intention to let some pervert sniff her bicycle seat at home...

If you are to use Judo in a fight, do you be aggressive and attack with it, or do you wait for the opponent to make his move, then use judo as a counter? If you attack with it, what tech do you initiate contact with? What be the jab or power double of judo that you use?

If you are to use Judo in a fight, do you be aggressive and attack with it, or do you wait for the opponent to make his move, then use judo as a counter? If you attack with it, what tech do you initiate contact with? What be the jab or power double of judo that you use?

1. Entry off of a punch, your opponent attacks first, you block the punch, wrap the arm and throw him. Not taught much in sport Judo these days but Gracie jiu-jitsu covers them. Probably something on YouTube.
2. Enter quickly by surprise to get your grips (or over/underhook, Russian tie, etc.), then throw him before he knows what's happening.

But I much prefer using it as a plan B for my kickboxing. Grappling as a primary strategy is not optimal since you are forced to be close to your opponent.

Against a better trained opponent, closing the distance is risky. Grappling is risky if you live in a town with tons of grapplers, but most grapplers can't strike for shit. Always better to be able to do both.

Often the person getting the worst of a striking exchange will try to clinch, in that case simply throw him from the clinch and stomp his face. Don't get down there with him, he might be a blue belt. lol

On the other hand, if I was losing the striking exchange, attempting the clinch will look much more attractive to me.

I don't ever plan to grapple, but I will if my opponent makes it past my long/mid range striking.

Last edited:
I'v recently restarted Judo after doing it for maybe a year as a kid but me and my friends have been disagreeing about teh merits of it. I say it would obviously be an advantage in a street fight as it improves you're balance, grip and grappling strength as well as adding various techniques such as throw and submissions etc, i mean i'm a big guy but i got easily threw around at practise by people that werent even trying. They are trying to say taht it is useless because if you go into a fight looking for a throw you will more than likely be caught by a punch and get smashed.

Do you think Judo is a good weapon to have in a street fight?

Anything is better than nothing, and Judo is especially useful if you happen to get your hands on the other guy while standing.

In my experience Judo instructors are far more likely to cross train and be able to counter a looping right hand with a throw than gracie jui jitsu. I went to a gracie Jui jitsu combatives academy after 2 years of judo and was able to throw the bluebelts around when we did the reflex drills/ sparring. I had done some boxing so I wasn't afraid of punches. I found it kind of gimmicky, as they focused on punch defense more than passing guard or throws, but their punching technique was way below that I had learned in boxing. I do Mauy Thai and it is way better at dealing with punches and clinches than Gracie combatives, but it does hurt more.

One of my current BJJ instructors does incorporate some of the Gracie combatives into his lessons, but he teaches judo throws and guard passes too.

I will probably end up helping him teach this class at one point. I think it is kind of silly to be honest, because the curriculum doesn't include how to throw a proper punch or really defend one well, but at the same time its an intro class. We don't want a BJJ intro calss to become an MMA class and have new people get hurt. The MMA class has a blue belt requirement and is geared to winning mma competitions.

Last edited:
Against a better trained opponent, closing the distance is risky. Grappling is risky if you live in a town with tons of grapplers, but most grapplers can't strike for shit. Always better to be able to do both.

Grappling is a more controllable or deterministic situation compared to striking in the neutral, which always has a certain level of uncertainty.

To use an analogy, man who is slightly better at k1 or wko than another can beat perhaps 6 or 7 times out of 10, whereas a man slightly better than another at sambo or ebi rules or the like can often end up winning 8 or 9 times out of 10, which can obscure the reality of the skill differentials involved to the unfamiliar

Last edited:
Grappling is a more controllable or deterministic situation compared to striking in the neutral, which always has a certain level of uncertainty.

To use an analogy, man who is slightly better at k1 or wko than another can beat perhaps 6 or 7 times out of 10, whereas a man slightly better than another at sambo or ebi rules or the like can often end up winning 8 or 9 times out of 10, which can obscure the reality of the skill differentials involved to the unfamiliar

If someone tries to windmill, I fold him in half and drop his hands with a kick to the top of the groin then come with my own combinations. Same as a teep, just lower and harder. Leg kicks are great too since unskilled fighters and grapplers can't take them nor defend them.

Genuinely skilled strikers have the advantage, there's no uncertainty. But it seems it's hard to find a good coach that teaches proper distance management. Sort of like half guard in BJJ, if you let him get too close, bad things happen.

What Holly Holm did against Rousey is a decent example. Once you get it, it's like fighting behind a control panel, there's no real threat from some drunk.

When it comes to more than 1 opponent, yeah striking all the way...lol I always prefer to win with a kick first, punch second, knee third, elbow fourth, headbutt fifth...grappling is way back there. I stay as far away as I can.

Obviously grappling is good and necessary too in other situations.

Last edited:
In my experience Judo instructors are far more likely to cross train and be able to counter a looping right hand with a throw than gracie jui jitsu. I went to a gracie Jui jitsu combatives academy after 2 years of judo and was able to throw the bluebelts around when we did the reflex drills/ sparring. I had done some boxing so I wasn't afraid of punches. I found it kind of gimmicky, as they focused on punch defense more than passing guard or throws, but their punching technique was way below that I had learned in boxing. I do Mauy Thai and it is way better at dealing with punches and clinches than Gracie combatives, but it does hurt more.

One of my current BJJ instructors does incorporate some of the Gracie combatives into his lessons, but he teaches judo throws and guard passes too.

I will probably end up helping him teach this class at one point. I think it is kind of silly to be honest, because the curriculum doesn't include how to throw a proper punch or really defend one well, but at the same time its an intro class. We don't want a BJJ intro calss to become an MMA class and have new people get hurt. The MMA class has a blue belt requirement and is geared to winning mma competitions.

So you did two years of Judo and was able to throw around some Gracie combative guys? I don't believe it. lol

The punch defenses are not designed to work against boxers or Muay Thai, they won't work. They'd drop you with a leg kick anyway.

I got a little annoyed with them too since I am primarily a striker. If I come to grappling class, I don't want to learn half assed striking counters I'd never use. OTOH if you're ONLY doing grappling, maybe you better understand how to enter off a punch.

That's why Judo or any martial art can not stand alone at a high level and MMA was born.

Goes back to what I said earlier, a man needs to know his limitations.

Last edited:

Well, as an untrained striker I can strike about as well as the untrained guy I'm likely to be fighting, and I've got years of Judo backing me up once we're past that initial haymaker stage, while he's likely got nothing. If you're saying that a pure grappler is not going to be able to handle a guy with a high level of both grappling and striking, then yeah, obviously.

What is it with the neuroses among grapplers that years of training in a fighting sport somehow make you worse at fighting some drunk retard outside a bar? Some of you guys have to have been in fights before you started training... Think about how terrible you were when you started Judo, BJJ, whatever compared to how skilled you are now. You'll be fine.

If someone tries to windmill, I fold him in half and drop his hands with a kick to the top of the groin then come with my own combinations. Same as a teep, just lower and harder. Leg kicks are great too since unskilled fighters and grapplers can't take them nor defend them.

Genuinely skilled strikers have the advantage, there's no uncertainty. But it seems it's hard to find a good coach that teaches proper distance management. Sort of like half guard in BJJ, if you let him get too close, bad things happen.

What Holly Holm did against Rousey is a decent example. Once you get it, it's like fighting behind a control panel, there's no real threat from some drunk.

When it comes to more than 1 opponent, yeah striking all the way...lol I always prefer to win with a kick first, punch second, knee third, elbow fourth, headbutt fifth...grappling is way back there. I stay as far away as I can.

Obviously grappling is good and necessary too in other situations.
Holm/Rousey, I see.
How many examples of a judoka or grappler finishing a striker in mma do you want me to provide ? :D

Holm/Rousey, I see.
How many examples of a judoka or grappler finishing a strikergrappled in mma do you want me to provide ? :D

I was using that to explain how it works, not to get in any dumb pissing contest about MMA.

There are no non-strikers in MMA anyhow so you have no examples. lol

Judo is legit but I have seen judoka get outwrestled in a backyard grappling match before.
As far as street defense goes, id honestly put wrestling first and bjj/judo tied.

I was using that to explain how it works, not to get in any dumb pissing contest about MMA.

There are no non-strikers in MMA anyhow so you have no examples. lol
Well, let's say there were fighters with virtually no striking compared to their opponents.

Akiyama vs Botha
Akiyama vs Manhoef
Royce Gracie vs Jimmerson
Jennum vs Melvin Bowen
Ogawa vs Leko

and many more.

Well, let's say there were fighters with virtually no striking compared to their opponents.

Akiyama vs Botha
Akiyama vs Manhoef
Royce Gracie vs Jimmerson
Jennum vs Melvin Bowen
Ogawa vs Leko

and many more.
Honestly thats not completely untrained.
I can totally understand what he means about once you become a competent striker, a drunk guy is almost a non-threat.
The guy sounds full of shit though. Chances are he has never ended a fight with a kick, knee, elbow or headbutt standing.

Im pretty sure UFC 1 proved that grappling > striking if you have to choose one art.... But in a street fight its probably better to be a striker since chances are you wont be facing a trained grappler or a striker but just some regular dude.

Honestly thats not completely untrained.
I can totally understand what he means about once you become a competent striker, a drunk guy is almost a non-threat.
The guy sounds full of shit though. Chances are he has never ended a fight with a kick, knee, elbow or headbutt standing.

Im pretty sure UFC 1 proved that grappling > striking if you have to choose one art.... But in a street fight its probably better to be a striker since chances are you wont be facing a trained grappler or a striker but just some regular dude.

That's true, I never really dropped someone with a single kick. Never used elbows or knees, mostly punches and some kicks since that was prior to most of my training. Now I'm way better though.

In sparring, I use this strategy of distance management and it works well when people try to swarm. Legs are longer than arms. The groin kick is mainly just kicking him on the top of his dick to get him to drop his arms and open his face, not to end the fight that way. In sparring, it's just a foot higher. lol

I ended an threat laced argument with a headbutt when I was younger, broke his nose and that was that. Most people don't believe in headbutts because they are not legal in MMA. A situation where someone is up in your face is different and you have to be ready to defend it.

My most effective fighting technique ever is stomping a downed opponent's head wearing shoes. Judo can make that happen quick though it is frowned upon.

Last edited:
Back