Is Judo effective in a streetfight?

good point. i guess by 'justify' do you mean in the context of law/ethics type thing? a lot of times when someone's hassling someone else, no need to go for lethal force or try and bounce their head on concrete. good example is that matt serra video where he subdues a drunk guy

good point. i guess by 'justify' do you mean in the context of law/ethics type thing? a lot of times when someone's hassling someone else, no need to go for lethal force or try and bounce their head on concrete. good example is that matt serra video where he subdues a drunk guy
Yes. Judo is a good option for that because it gives you the choice, you can put them down gently with something like osoto gari, or you can annihilate them with uchi mata, destroy their arm with ude gatami or simply pin them with kesa

I know a skin who knows judo who threw a goof over his head through a table once at a party. Just tossed him through the air and this judo guy is maybe 160 lbs. Can't judge a book and judo is great in a street fight...

Any one martial art is effective in a street fight against untrained people.

Against people who trained some martial art, MMA is the most effective.

Hip tossing someone onto concrete will fuck up people to some extent, so yes

Depends. In the street, how long does it take for the ref to stand you up when you turtle into a ball?

I don't get in street fights, but I dominated some middle school playground fights with Ogoshis.

Feel like finding a good Greco school would be better and more bang for your buck.

Greco is annoying and boring not allowing trips.
I feel ya, but if someone is just looking to improve their street fighting/self defense skills, greco is more practical and easier to learn than judo imo. Trips are easy to drill with a partner on your own. Throws not so much unless the person youre doing it with has a good knowledge of judo. I guess it depends on how much time you have to invest.

I feel ya, but if someone is just looking to improve their street fighting/self defense skills, greco is more practical and easier to learn than judo imo. Trips are easy to drill with a partner on your own. Throws not so much unless the person youre doing it with has a good knowledge of judo. I guess it depends on how much time you have to invest.

no.

I honestly can't believe this is even a question.

Is a martial art where you learn dozens of ways of hitting your opponent with the Earth an effective means of defending yourself?

Freestyle is a ton better. If you do just pure greco you will suck on the ground too.
I don't disagree that at all, but Im just saying that for somebody pressed for time and not terribly athletic, basic Greco is the best imo as its easily translatable to a street encounter and simple and direct. No doubt freestyle is "better" but Im just talking about something easy to learn and very effective. A 50 year old guy could learn and do Greco with no grappling knowledge. He wouldn't be able to take up freesyle as easily.

Do you train greco wrestling? We used to share a gym with greco wrestling and when grappling with them it was mostly their upper body strength (which was a super big focus for them compared to other sports) and some grappling instinct that where their assets. Freestyle wrestlers move a lot better and didn't get trivially swept.
Saw a greco guy take the beginners class get swept from the white belts and tap them from closed guard with stuff I assume he saw on the UFC or youtube.

@HunterAcosta Why are you even on about Greco?

Want to know what I would find if I searched for martial arts schools in my area? A few karate places, a few judo places, a few BJJ places....

Greco? Not a one.

I don't disagree that at all, but Im just saying that for somebody pressed for time and not terribly athletic, basic Greco is the best imo as its easily translatable to a street encounter and simple and direct. No doubt freestyle is "better" but Im just talking about something easy to learn and very effective. A 50 year old guy could learn and do Greco with no grappling knowledge. He wouldn't be able to take up freesyle as easily.

Not experienced in Greco but I have wrestled before. Wrestling relies heavily on strength and conditioning. I would imagine this is the same for Greco? There are too many variables to determine which is the best. The grips in judo are insane. Off balancing skills alone would give you serious advantage against a street assailant. Most scuffles do involve shirt, and clothes grabbing. I'm not saying you have to go for a big throw, but just being able to manhandle a guy with your grips will give you an edge.

A 50 year old, unless he is a stud, is going to struggle against someone reasonably in shape in their 20s or 30s. However, judo applications can become fuzzy without clothing (tank tops or bare back). I'm not going to promote one being superior over the other because there are arguments, and counter arguments for each.

However, if it were between the two, and they are equally reputable schools I'd probably tell the 50 year old to do judo. The reason being is that body locks have to be done at a closer distance than grip fighting. If things go bad I'd rather them have the arm's distance to work from in order to mount an escape (flee) than being trapped. That is my assessment. Again, too many variables to consider.

Back