Is it time to call it quits??? Too many injuries and need advice | Page 2

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by RichardHarrow, Jul 31, 2017.

1. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    It appears you guys have had experience in this. In your opinion do you think it possible that I treat this without the intervention of a physiotherapist? I.e. - by just what I read online and youtube? I know my condition pretty well and have a decent understanding of what's required.

2. Lastofthemohican Orange Belt

Lastofthemohican
    Mate what the fuck did you do to your body. Are you ex-mil?

3. pokerandbeer Green Belt

pokerandbeer
    you should give up all physical activity and just sit there like a bum.....work on comedic skills with your time

4. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    I wish it was that. Bad form and posture combined with lifting very heavily as an ectomorph= injuries.

ripskater likes this.
  5. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    I'm not playing the mini violin. I'm legit prepared to take on what others have advised.

6. LatFlare EADC

LatFlare
    No you already told us that you're not prepared to do what others advise...

7. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    My previous post:

Sorry, I should have explained further. Part of what a therapist does is address all the nuances which we, ourselves, are ignorant of. In my situation the therapist has recommended xyz, I then travel back to ME, make a mistake, or jump the gun which only the therapist can address. Consequently I'm left to my own devices which doesn't really help.

8. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    Probably not. Unfortunately.

I was sorta lucky to meet the right people to learn from trainers and a chiropracter on the importance of proper posture and scapular glide over the rib cage. And a number of exercises to improve it for me. There is no way I would have learned it on my own.

9. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    Quite frankly, man, it seems to me you either don't know what you're talking about or what you really need is a psychotherapist.

ASUThermo likes this.
  10. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    Dude, I'm just asking for advice. Want to debate something go to the WR.

11. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    That's because it's more than just range of motion.

There is no doubt that a lot of people neglect exercises that address posture and some scapular muscles, but with tears and pain it's rarely a single thing that does the trick. Some people might benefit a lot from those exercises, others wont. It depends on the underlying problem.

What you need to do is visit a professional, like a physiotherapist, and get a treatment plan that works for you. If you already have a treatment plan that still works from the previous one, why not follow that again?

12. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    The issue is I'm never in the U.K. long enough to get more than a few sessions in. The lions share of my time is in the ME and there isn't a decent physio here. I need a physiotherapist to adjust any mistakes that I might be making if I jump the gun, am too aggressive in my approach etc etc. And this is exactly what I have experienced i.e. - Im experiencing pain with what the therapists have recommended and won't be in the U.K. for a while to address said issue. A therapist needs to be there throughout the entire process to address all the nuances.

13. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    Saying "I have a good understanding of my condition and I know what's necessary, what do you guys think" and "I know what to do but I don't have the discipline to do it" is a weird way to ask for advice, is all I'm saying.

wufabufa and NurseKnuckles like this.
  14. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    Look man, no need to be a jerk and kick a guy when he's down. Just tell him to go see a professional.

RichardHarrow likes this.
  15. miaou barely keeping it together

miaou
    He's already seen a professional. It didn't work for him. I'm not kicking anybody, I'm just being 100% honest and exposing the guy to the truth. If he can't take it, he can go to group therapy for all I care.

wufabufa likes this.
  16. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    Yeah you are.

17. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Why is it that when someone has been shown the flaws in their approach to what they want it's seen as a negative thing?

Getting to the truth, or identifying the true nature of things is how you go about an assessment. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable, but it's always beneficial in the end.

18. ripskater Steel Belt

ripskater
    It's not. It's the way you say it. Especially to a guy in chronic pain who is ready to call it quits and give up.

The guy needs to see a physiotherapist. No need to take subtle jabs at him.

19. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    I see it as simply pointing out issues he sees in his request and his approach to the issues. It's a decent way to get to the bottom of something in a sub-forum, and its far less time consuming.

20. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Yes absolutely I think you can treat this on your own. But I think you should go see a doc and get a full comprehensive bloodwork done if possible. Aside from that, what exactly hurts? Are you in pain all the time? Only when lifting? What exercises hurt and where?