Is it time to call it quits??? Too many injuries and need advice | Page 4

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by RichardHarrow, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Grrrr HEY CLIPPY....BE NICE

Grrrr
    Using too much ibuprofen put me in the hospital for 5 days. I had a nagging shoulder problem due to lifting and bjj. Instead of letting it heal properly I decided to just use ibuprofen and push through. Well it caused irritation in my intestines....which then caused my intestines to swell shut. My stomach swelled up because nothing was going through my body. Horrific pain. I ended up with tubes up my nose down to my stomach to relieve the gasses and pressure. No food or fluid for 4 days. Just the iv. So be really cautious about using ibuprofen.

SRN, RichardHarrow and pliftkl like this.
  2. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    Antibiotics are not an option for me anyway. I have an auto immune disease (colitis) that required the removal of my entire large intestine. Antibiotics and stomach conditions are not a good combination.

3. itrainUFC Black Belt in UFC

itrainUFC
    I train UFC professionally and my advice and opinions are more valuable.

If MMA fighting, yes quit.
    You stated not having the disciprine so stay safe and healthy. Dreams of being a champion isn't everything in life. Living a nice humble life is golden too.
    If quitting Martial Arts? Then it is up to you. I love martial arts and believe everyone should do it.

yolo

4. ocean size Brown Belt

ocean size
    Get your shoulders done one at a time. You will be out 6 weeks either side probably.

Don't stop moving. it will make your problems worse.

If you don't have the discipline to stick to the exercises, go see a physio. Just having regular appointments will give you some accountability. Whethter or not it is a big scam, it is better than you letting your body rot on your own terms. Even if you go the surgery route, having the shoulders in decent shape connective tissue wise will aid things along. Do whatever you can to make doing the exercises the path of least resistance. Keep the small dumbells next to the couch/keep the resistance bands next to where you sit for coffee or whatever.

RichardHarrow likes this.
  5. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    Thanks for posting. Could you elaborate on what you meant by "big scam"? Never come across that before.

6. ocean size Brown Belt

ocean size
    Don't read into it - you just made it sound like you weren't sold on going to a physio since you know it is just supervised exercising which you already know how to do. However, if you aren't doing it at all, sounds like it might be what you need to stay on top of it.

7. aus101 Brown Belt

aus101
    Yeah I had a complete shoulder reconstruction. Sling for 6 weeks, couldn't lift weights for a year. Started back after rehab a year post surgery benching the bar.
    It healed better than ever though and never had to worry about my once torn shoulder again, eventually hitting 275 at 165 once more.

8. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    Ouch...

If I were you, and I'm not, but if I was, I'd seriously contemplate by future in the cage.

And I'd consider the type of work I'd be able to do after retirement. I really hope you have an education and an opportunity to use it in a seperate career.

And lastly, my quality of life or however long I hope to live. Sorry to be so bleak, but having four of the most inportant joints of my body being shot... sheesh...I'd hope I'm still mobile in my 50s and 60s.

9. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    I'm not a fighter! I just want to go to the gym and hit the free weights and be in good shape once again is all! We're not talking Pro bodybuilding or me wanting to bench press 275. Just something ala mens health front cover.

GearSolidMetal likes this.
  10. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    Oh shit.

Well, then, I'd change my workout routine towards more body weight exercises, pilates, and swimming.

11. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    In the short term you mean ?

12. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    Yes, and perhaps long term if you become comfortable with it.

Given your injuries, your desire to heal and avoid reinjuring your knees and shoulders - avoiding exercises that led to the original injuries would be basic advice that requires no expertise.

13. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom.

GearSolidMetal
    One more thing, I can't site this but I recall a poll from the last summer olympics of which physiques of the male athletes were the most attractive to women, and the swimmers won it by a wide margin.

14. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    Yea I'm 5"8 - swimmers physique is not applicable to me.

15. aus101 Brown Belt

aus101
    Did you miss my post? I'm a skinny 5'10 white guy who needs to force feed to weigh 155 and who had a torn shoulder for years and was still able to get a complete shoulder reconstruction and bench 275 a couple years later. Also the (quite roided) men's health cover models would have benches over 275 too.

Go to the best surgeon you can find and get yourself fixed up, trust me it works. After the surgery and recovery my non torn, never been operated on shoulder was in worse condition, that's how good they are at shoulder surgery these days. Back in the day I admit you would of been hard pressed but torn rotators and busted knees isn't the end of the world anymore.

16. RichardHarrow 'arrow

RichardHarrow
    Yes I'm in the process of discussing my options with the doctor. Surgery may be an option for one of my shoulders. Issue is I have problems with both shoulders and knees. But there is hope.

17. his airness White Belt

his airness
    only idiots use ibuprofen or any other pain killer. it's toxic as fuck

Acupuncture helps a lot. i did a lot of rehab work with doctors after i got my elbow snaped in Judo and nothing help apart from acupunture and chinese massage combined

ThunderL1ps likes this.
  18. pliftkl Green Belt

pliftkl
    There are definitely times when pain killers are appropriate. When you have acute pain, you should not simply try to grind through that.

The discussion here isn't really about the use of ibuprofen as a pain killer, but rather as an anti-inflammatory. Yes, it's pretty toxic, but most people can tolerate it for short periods of time, and depending on the injury, reducing the inflammation may get you back to training faster. I think we all agree that NSAID's shouldn't be part of your regular routine.