Is it time to call it quits??? Too many injuries and need advice

I'd be really cautious about that last one. I'm not saying that anti-inflammatories don't have a role to play, but there's enough evidence of potential adverse health effects that different medical groups have advocated that ibuprofen be classified as a controlled substance.

I'll use ibuprofen in response to specific injuries, for specific periods of time, but I personally wouldn't want it to be a regular part of my lifting the way straps or braces might be.
Using too much ibuprofen put me in the hospital for 5 days. I had a nagging shoulder problem due to lifting and bjj. Instead of letting it heal properly I decided to just use ibuprofen and push through. Well it caused irritation in my intestines....which then caused my intestines to swell shut. My stomach swelled up because nothing was going through my body. Horrific pain. I ended up with tubes up my nose down to my stomach to relieve the gasses and pressure. No food or fluid for 4 days. Just the iv. So be really cautious about using ibuprofen.

Using too much ibuprofen put me in the hospital for 5 days. I had a nagging shoulder problem due to lifting and bjj. Instead of letting it heal properly I decided to just use ibuprofen and push through. Well it caused irritation in my intestines....which then caused my intestines to swell shut. My stomach swelled up because nothing was going through my body. Horrific pain. I ended up with tubes up my nose down to my stomach to relieve the gasses and pressure. No food or fluid for 4 days. Just the iv. So be really cautious about using ibuprofen.
Antibiotics are not an option for me anyway. I have an auto immune disease (colitis) that required the removal of my entire large intestine. Antibiotics and stomach conditions are not a good combination.

I train UFC professionally and my advice and opinions are more valuable.

If MMA fighting, yes quit.
You stated not having the disciprine so stay safe and healthy. Dreams of being a champion isn't everything in life. Living a nice humble life is golden too.
If quitting Martial Arts? Then it is up to you. I love martial arts and believe everyone should do it.

yolo

Mods: im not asking for medical advice. Just curious to know what routes and channels others with a similar history have taken to address said situation.

I am a 31 year old expat in the Middle East. I've rotator cuff tears on both shoulders (according to MRI) and patella femoral syndrome on both knees ( X ray). Any sort of exercise will end up in pain and I don't mean the good kind. I've had prp injections on both shoulders to no avail. I'm due for an MRI on both shoulders to see if there has been any progress with the PRP but I'm confident there has been no improvement.

Some of you may suggest physiotherapy but it sucks here. I know the exercises necessary from the physiotherapy sessions I've had in London (hometown) but don't have the discipline to stick to it. What you're really paying for when you arrange therapy is for them to stay on top of you because we're not disciplined enough without their influence. Besides, by shoulders seem beyond therapy at this stage.

Surgery may be an option but I could be out for a year since it's both shoulders.

Get your shoulders done one at a time. You will be out 6 weeks either side probably.

Don't stop moving. it will make your problems worse.

If you don't have the discipline to stick to the exercises, go see a physio. Just having regular appointments will give you some accountability. Whethter or not it is a big scam, it is better than you letting your body rot on your own terms. Even if you go the surgery route, having the shoulders in decent shape connective tissue wise will aid things along. Do whatever you can to make doing the exercises the path of least resistance. Keep the small dumbells next to the couch/keep the resistance bands next to where you sit for coffee or whatever.

Get your shoulders done one at a time. You will be out 6 weeks either side probably.

Don't stop moving. it will make your problems worse.

If you don't have the discipline to stick to the exercises, go see a physio. Just having regular appointments will give you some accountability. Whethter or not it is a big scam, it is better than you letting your body rot on your own terms. Even if you go the surgery route, having the shoulders in decent shape connective tissue wise will aid things along. Do whatever you can to make doing the exercises the path of least resistance. Keep the small dumbells next to the couch/keep the resistance bands next to where you sit for coffee or whatever.
Thanks for posting. Could you elaborate on what you meant by "big scam"? Never come across that before.

Thanks for posting. Could you elaborate on what you meant by "big scam"? Never come across that before.
Don't read into it - you just made it sound like you weren't sold on going to a physio since you know it is just supervised exercising which you already know how to do. However, if you aren't doing it at all, sounds like it might be what you need to stay on top of it.

In addition to all of the non-surgical advice in this thread, I'd be more open to the idea of not lifting seriously for a year while you heal from shoulder surgery. A year is nothing. You're already saying that most exercise hurts. It would be tragic for you to push through with painful shoulders for 10 years, get the surgery in your forties, and think to yourself "I should have done this a decade ago".

Not in any way suggesting that surgery should be your top option.

Yeah I had a complete shoulder reconstruction. Sling for 6 weeks, couldn't lift weights for a year. Started back after rehab a year post surgery benching the bar.
It healed better than ever though and never had to worry about my once torn shoulder again, eventually hitting 275 at 165 once more.

I've rotator cuff tears on both shoulders (according to MRI) and patella femoral syndrome on both knees

Ouch...

If I were you, and I'm not, but if I was, I'd seriously contemplate by future in the cage.

And I'd consider the type of work I'd be able to do after retirement. I really hope you have an education and an opportunity to use it in a seperate career.

And lastly, my quality of life or however long I hope to live. Sorry to be so bleak, but having four of the most inportant joints of my body being shot... sheesh...I'd hope I'm still mobile in my 50s and 60s.

Ouch...

If I were you, and I'm not, but if I was, I'd seriously contemplate by future in the cage.

And I'd consider the type of work I'd be able to do after retirement. I really hope you have an education and an opportunity to use it in a seperate career.

And lastly, my quality of life or however long I hope to live. Sorry to be so bleak, but having four of the most inportant joints of my body being shot... sheesh...I'd hope I'm still mobile in my 50s and 60s.
I'm not a fighter! I just want to go to the gym and hit the free weights and be in good shape once again is all! We're not talking Pro bodybuilding or me wanting to bench press 275. Just something ala mens health front cover.

I'm not a fighter! I just want to go to the gym and hit the free weights and be in good shape once again is all! We're not talking Pro bodybuilding or me wanting to bench press 275. Just something ala mens health front cover.

Oh shit.

Well, then, I'd change my workout routine towards more body weight exercises, pilates, and swimming.

In the short term you mean ?

Yes, and perhaps long term if you become comfortable with it.

Given your injuries, your desire to heal and avoid reinjuring your knees and shoulders - avoiding exercises that led to the original injuries would be basic advice that requires no expertise.

One more thing, I can't site this but I recall a poll from the last summer olympics of which physiques of the male athletes were the most attractive to women, and the swimmers won it by a wide margin.

One more thing, I can't site this but I recall a poll from the last summer olympics of which physiques of the male athletes were the most attractive to women, and the swimmers won it by a wide margin.
Yea I'm 5"8 - swimmers physique is not applicable to me.

Did you miss my post? I'm a skinny 5'10 white guy who needs to force feed to weigh 155 and who had a torn shoulder for years and was still able to get a complete shoulder reconstruction and bench 275 a couple years later. Also the (quite roided) men's health cover models would have benches over 275 too.

Go to the best surgeon you can find and get yourself fixed up, trust me it works. After the surgery and recovery my non torn, never been operated on shoulder was in worse condition, that's how good they are at shoulder surgery these days. Back in the day I admit you would of been hard pressed but torn rotators and busted knees isn't the end of the world anymore.

Did you miss my post? I'm a skinny 5'10 white guy who needs to force feed to weigh 155 and who had a torn shoulder for years and was still able to get a complete shoulder reconstruction and bench 275 a couple years later. Also the (quite roided) men's health cover models would have benches over 275 too.

Go to the best surgeon you can find and get yourself fixed up, trust me it works. After the surgery and recovery my non torn, never been operated on shoulder was in worse condition, that's how good they are at shoulder surgery these days. Back in the day I admit you would of been hard pressed but torn rotators and busted knees isn't the end of the world anymore.
Yes I'm in the process of discussing my options with the doctor. Surgery may be an option for one of my shoulders. Issue is I have problems with both shoulders and knees. But there is hope.

only idiots use ibuprofen or any other pain killer. it's toxic as fuck

Acupuncture helps a lot. i did a lot of rehab work with doctors after i got my elbow snaped in Judo and nothing help apart from acupunture and chinese massage combined

only idiots use ibuprofen or any other pain killer. it's toxic as fuck

There are definitely times when pain killers are appropriate. When you have acute pain, you should not simply try to grind through that.

The discussion here isn't really about the use of ibuprofen as a pain killer, but rather as an anti-inflammatory. Yes, it's pretty toxic, but most people can tolerate it for short periods of time, and depending on the injury, reducing the inflammation may get you back to training faster. I think we all agree that NSAID's shouldn't be part of your regular routine.

Back