Is Erick Silva the only prospect who never panned out?

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I don’t get why the guy is always singled out as soon as someone wants to mock a potential up and comer.

I get it, a bunch of people jumped on Ericks nuts when he finished his first few opponents. He looked like a world beater against the low tier guys, but got exposed against the guys in the 10-15 range.

But Erick Silva is not the first or last mma prospect that never reached perceived potential.

Ah good ole Sherdog groupthink.

Who was David Terrell?

Everything goes in phases around here. If people aren't falling for one guys gimmick they are for another.

Too early to tell whether he's panned out or not.

Also almost everyone on this board is very supportive of Erick and optimistic about his long future ahead. Your the negative one saying he's been exposed and won't reach his potential.

Last edited:
I don’t get why the guy is always singled out as soon as someone wants to mock a potential up and comer.

I get it, a bunch of people jumped on Ericks nuts when he finished his first few opponents. He looked like a world beater against the low tier guys, but got exposed against the guys in the 10-15 range.

But Erick Silva is not the first or last mma prospect that never reached perceived potential.

On the contrary my friend, he’s the only prospect who ever DID pan out. And to think, he’s not even in his prime yet. The best is yet to come and that’s a scary thought!

Hugo Duarte.

What do you mean didn't pan out? The kid is young AF

For every prospect who lives up to the hype there are 20 who don't. It's the nature of the game.

On the real though, who could ever forget Houston Alexander? Well, apart from everyone I mean. That guy did look terrifying initially though.

I know sounds weird to say this all things considered, but I’m always shocked every time Anthony Pettis looses. During the Bendo era I thought he looked like an all time great- super skilled on the feet and the ground.

Sokoujou, he looked like a killer at the start but late provided to be a bust. hmmm a Cameroonian with crazy power turn out to be a bust.

Is it because of this? Or too much importance from my part?
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/136509563/

This is hilarious to me that people thought Silva was prospect. Everyone assumed he was a young up and comer because he looked so handsome and young. The dude debuted at 28 years old and is now 33. Erick Silva was never young in the UFC he debuted in his prime. Certainly he had room for improvement and 28 isn't that old but he was never a young prospect he was always a good fighter in his prime debuting.

He stayed looking young (until this day). He could pass for 24 years old even today. It gives the illusion this guy has a great future but his body is far older than that.

As for prospects panning out? I've seen many flame out. Plenty of guys have come to the UFC with undefeated records and have won a few fights got people excited then flamed out. Look at Jouban is he that great? Plenty of guys never make it.

The point is at least with Erick Silva he was never a young up and coming world beater. He came into the sport fairly near his potential and now is 33 years old on the way down. He is what he is. You just over rated him due to his appearance.

U could actually argue that Vitor Gracie underachieved a lil bit...

Back