Is competing important for your BJJ progression

It seems to be less important the longer I train.
I get essentially everything I want from a competition (which is mainly rolling with other styles) from dropping in at other gyms. And the more I train, the less surprising different gym's game is.

But I always learn some new items at each gym.

I'd say if it's important to you to really be great at the implementation of jiu jitsu then competition is pretty important. As a hobbyist and someone who finds joy in BJJ through learning BJJ I have fun adding weapons to my arsenal, or tools to my tool belt. If you want to sharpen the spear or sharpen the knife though competition is probably pretty important.

Competing belts always seem sharper than the BJJ regulars even at the same belt

That's why competing is so important. Because it's nothing like sparring, and as having a sense of urgency and aggression is so important to being a good grappler competing and picking up that mindset rapidly accelerates your progress.

I am so much more relaxed in sparring after I just did my first tournament 2 weeks ago. It really puts sparring in perspective (for learning) and it seems so much easier by comparison.

Its a great experience and I hope to do it again soon.

What's happening in Quebec is so stupid.

It's important until it's not important any more.

Think Rafa. Do you think competing is important to him?

I've competed once at each belt (brown belt now). I'm not sure it made me better but it definitely let me know if I'm at the right level. By that I mean being able to hold my own at said belt. I haven't won any matches at any level but was confident in my performance at each level. I lost all my matches on points but was never put in a position to get submitted and felt comfortable the whole time.

Did it make me better probably not did I learn from it? YES!

I am so much more relaxed in sparring after I just did my first tournament 2 weeks ago. It really puts sparring in perspective (for learning) and it seems so much easier by comparison.

Same. Training at a high intensity still feels nothing like competition speed -- it is far easier.

By learn I meant that my belt was correct. Did I learn a new submission or slick escape? No.

There are also other things you get out of competition than what has already been mentioned.

You also get exposed to a larger community beyond your own academy and/or organization. You meet other competitors, coaches, people who run tournaments, etc.

If your academy sends a bunch of folks to tournaments, it also makes for a unique experience that you do not get in training. You are all there together, representing your academy, org, instructor, etc, you share in each others victories and losses, it pushes the camaraderie to a higher level. You get to know your training partners even better, since there tends to be a good amount of downtime. If you are at a really big school, might even get to know people that you may not have had a chance to interact with otherwise.

If say if you are competing generally you train harder and each class you have a purpose.

Plus you also supplement your classes with specific cardio and strength training.

Training for a comp you have a purpose and as such you do not miss any available classes plus your coach knows you have a comp coming up and they go extra hard on you.

All of the above accelerate your fitness, you bjj awareness and your coach pays extra attention to you.

To me, this is what makes you advance quicker. Having a goal and going all out in order to achieve it

Last edited:
It's important until it's not important any more.

Think Rafa. Do you think competing is important to him?

It was instrumental and I'd argue essential in getting him to where he's at today skill wise. I'd guess that at this point he's not really worried about improving his own practical skill level so much as getting better at teaching and refining details of technique to that end. Hence, competition not being a priority any longer.

Same. Training at a high intensity still feels nothing like competition speed -- it is far easier.

Very true at white/blue but from purple and definitely for me at Brown competing started to feel more like a hard roll.

It was instrumental and I'd argue essential in getting him to where he's at today skill wise. I'd guess that at this point he's not really worried about improving his own practical skill level so much as getting better at teaching and refining details of technique to that end. Hence, competition not being a priority any longer.

Competition has been a big part of my bjj experience. I just wanted to be sure that I was legit. I love the honesty of the mat . I love not being able to fool myself. Competition did that for me.

I have told my teammates that someday I will most likely quit competing. I have to really want it. I really wanted to win a major tournament at black belt. Now that I did, I don't really care if I win another one.

So, it is important until it's not important.

Competition has been a big part of my bjj experience. I just wanted to be sure that I was legit. I love the honesty of the mat . I love not being able to fool myself. Competition did that for me.

I have told my teammates that someday I will most likely quit competing. I have to really want it. I really wanted to win a major tournament at black belt. Now that I did, I don't really care if I win another one.

So, it is important until it's not important.

I agree. I've done well enough on the regional scene that I know I'm pretty decent, I also know that at this point in my life I'm not going do what I'd have to do to perform at the highest level, assuming I even could as a 35 year old who is not an especially gifted athlete. I want to fight MMA one or two times, mostly to know what it's like, and then I'm probably done with regular competition. Time to start coaching. My mind is now better at BJJ than my body :)

If say if you are competing generally you train harder and each class you have a purpose.

Plus you also supplement your classes with specific cardio and strength training.

Having a goal means you have a purpose and as such you do not miss any available classes plus your coach usually knows you have a comp coming up and they go extra hard on you.

All of the above accelerate your fitness, you game plan awareness and your coach pays extra attention to you.

To me, this is what makes you advance quicker. Having a goal and going all out in order to achieve it

This is so on. Plus your coaches take an interest when u show up at comps to represent.

Competition is a good thing, but perhaps not for every person all the time. But I think it is a good thing to do at least a few times for most practicioners.

I've competed once at each belt (brown belt now). I'm not sure it made me better but it definitely let me know if I'm at the right level. By that I mean being able to hold my own at said belt. I haven't won any matches at any level but was confident in my performance at each level. I lost all my matches on points but was never put in a position to get submitted and felt comfortable the whole time.

Did it make me better probably not did I learn from it? YES!

this was interesting to read. A part of me makes me wonder how I would perceive myself and be perceived by others (gym mates & instructors mainly) if I had a losing record. I know you're supposed to leave your ego out the gym but humiliation is such a powerful emotion. I've always played team sports all my life and had my share of success and failures but a one on one sport is different.

I know this looks like it's missing the point and I know you're just trying to be a better version of yourself than yesterday in JJ but my question is how many people do you know have a losing record in BJJ competition and is there a point where you've had enough losses and decide to stop competing?

I don't believe that competing in the art is the be all end all but I do think a few competitions is a good overall thing for your bjj journey/experience

this was interesting to read. A part of me makes me wonder how I would perceive myself and be perceived by others (gym mates & instructors mainly) if I had a losing record. I know you're supposed to leave your ego out the gym but humiliation is such a powerful emotion. I've always played team sports all my life and had my share of success and failures but a one on one sport is different.

I know this looks like it's missing the point and I know you're just trying to be a better version of yourself than yesterday in JJ but my question is how many people do you know have a losing record in BJJ competition and is there a point where you've had enough losses and decide to stop competing?

I have no issue with the losing record. Like many of us we played team sports and know what it's like to win and lose.

My other hobby and past professional career was in golf and competing in golf was way more stressful than any of my BJJ journey. I've always said that BJJ is a hobby for me and not about competition. I like it better that way but sometimes my ultra competitive side kicks in and a sign up for a tournament just to check my progress. I really think I've learned way more from drop ins at other schools and seminars than any of my comps. It's the exact opposite with my experiences from golf but my golf at one time was a job its now a hobby and not nearly as fun now as it was when I was competing.

Back