Is competing important for your BJJ progression

Quebec Nick

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm fairly knew at grappling and I hear a lot about competitions.

What's your opinion on the subject, how far can you go without doing competitions, can it stop your progress, do you feel that a guy that doesn't compete isn't legit.

Is it only important at a certain level (like purple belt and up) and if you don't see does guys competing their belts are bullshit.

I go to classes a lot and we have a lot of rolling time so I don't feel like I need more mat time and it's all at a really good intensity. My trainer can see my progression just fine.

We also have enough training partners so I don't feel like I'm just getting use to 2 or 3 guys/styles.

I'm really busy on the weekends with my kids, my family and my business and I can barely put in 2-3 hours of workouts. So to book a whole weekend would be really tough for me.

Also, maybe some of you already know about it, due to an administrative glitch BJJ competitions are now illegal in the province of Quebec. So even if I'm in the Montreal area (the second biggest city in Canada) I would have to go in Ontario, rent an hotel + traveling time...

So, to sum it up, are BJJ competitions only a trill for some people and that doesn't mean anything or if you don't compete your a fraud with fake belts

I think competitions give a person a glimpse into how they might do in crisis situation. Formal competition against an unknown face, with people watching puts pressure on the competitor that isn't replicated inside the Academy. In this sense, it makes the competitor more aware of their physical, technical and more importantly, their mental make-up. It's reveals a little bit of what you have inside.

It is not however needed to be "Legit" as long as you train with varied partners at a reasonably high intensity. Just don't expect anyone to email you asking for seminar quotes....

Last edited:
Personally, I feel like everybody should try competing at least once in their BJJ journey just to have the experience (plus, you might actually like it). With that said though, as long as a person is drilling well and getting plenty of good rolls in, they are going to progress. Tournaments can certainly accelerate your development, but they're not for everybody and I don't think they're 100% necessary to improve for a regular hobbyist.

Like Coconutwater said though, if you are looking to open a gym or something like that some day, competing kind of becomes necessary.

I think so yes.

I'd say in fact that competition is important for the health of a martial art in general.

I think that competing shouldn't be an academy requirement. I do find it odd that someone serious about a hobby/sport wouldn't want to compete at all but I know it happens. I feel like those who don't compete are only robbing themselves of an excellent learning tool and experience.

So, to sum it up, are BJJ competitions only a trill for some people and that doesn't mean anything or if you don't compete your a fraud with fake belts

I'm just going to address your summary question.

As other's have stated, competition helps with your development within the sport. The pressure felt at tournaments is different than that experienced in your own academy. It it absolutely necessary? No. Will you continue to progress? Yes. Is your belt fake? No.

I do believe that you're doing yourself a disservice by not testing yourself in competition.

It's your journey. You get to define it.

I think that competing shouldn't be an academy requirement. I do find it odd that someone serious about a hobby/sport wouldn't want to compete at all but I know it happens. I feel like those who don't compete are only robbing themselves of an excellent learning tool and experience.

The slight difference with other sports it's that sparring can get really serious without injuring anyone and can simulate a lot what it would be in a competition.

I'm pretty sure the urge of competing will get to me in due time and I will be more creative about how to manage my weekend to get into a competition.

I also hope that this BJJ competition ban in Quebec will be lifted soon because it's getting pretty popular and I'm pretty sure we could have frequent local events.

A competition is worth 30 classes in terms of improvement.

The slight difference with other sports it's that sparring can get really serious without injuring anyone and can simulate a lot what it would be in a competition.

That's a common misconception amongst new people. While rolling in BJJ is certainly more representative of a match than doing forms would be in something like Karate, it really doesn't simulate what you feel at a tournament. The intensity isn't even close in my opinion.

That's a common misconception amongst new people. While rolling in BJJ is certainly more representative of a match than doing forms would be in something like Karate, it really doesn't simulate what you feel at a tournament. The intensity isn't even close in my opinion.

That's why competing is so important. Because it's nothing like sparring, and as having a sense of urgency and aggression is so important to being a good grappler competing and picking up that mindset rapidly accelerates your progress.

Just to continue the discussion do you guys have a lot of competition available in your area, can you do one monthly??

That's why competing is so important. Because it's nothing like sparring, and as having a sense of urgency and aggression is so important to being a good grappler competing and picking up that mindset rapidly accelerates your progress.

I see your point, and it's really convincing, It made me realize that sparring lack the sense of consequence. Theirs no points, you can tap all you want, you can take risks, it's just the ego issue between you an your partner.

Competing is so different bit I don't feel like it's any more dangerous than rolling in the gym. I have partners in the gym that are rough and who you better tap fast against and it's taught me to take care of myself in a way that I didn't in my white belt days. As long as you do that you should be good in my opinion.

I live in Texas and there's lots of competitions here if you're willing to go to them. If my work schedule permitted and I wanted to, I could possibly go to more than one a month most months. Might have to travel a few hours in some cases though.

My wife and family has been real supportive of my jiujitsu to the point that we go on vacation for tournaments and seminars. Get somewhere Friday night and weigh in. Compete Saturday and then have Saturday night and whatever other time for fun. Heck, a couple of years ago my wife took me to a 3 day Reilly Bodycomb camp for our anniversary and we're doing an in town stay for a tournament this anniversary.

Just to continue the discussion do you guys have a lot of competition available in your area, can you do one monthly??

Depends on where you live. Where I'm at, I can find a tournament within a few hours drive at least once a month. There's going to be a couple around me all within an hours drive just in the next 3 months.

Try to find out what the local tournaments in your area are called and see how often they run events. Check multiple promotions

I've competed at least once a year since I started grappling and feel like that's not enough.

I'm always motivated after thinking "they ain't seen nothing yet".

Depends on where you live. Where I'm at, I can find a tournament within a few hours drive at least once a month. There's going to be a couple around me all within an hours drive just in the next 3 months.

Try to find out what the local tournaments in your area are called and see how often they run events. Check multiple promotions

In my province it's illegal since this winter. The federal changed a law and it was up to the provinces to make new laws for every amateur sports. They chose to make a lazy law that accepted only Olympic combat sports (taekwondo, boxing, wrestling and judo are ok).

So right now we would have to go to Ontario wich major cities are 2 to 5 hours from home.

But it's bound to change and in a big city like Montreal we're gonna have all those possibilities again

Competitors make a small percentage of a Bjj school.

I guess if you don't compete, you just train a martial art and it is hobby.

If you compete, then it is a sport for you.

Competing is very important, not necessary but very important. Nothing accelerates your progression faster than being in a training camp situation and competing itself win or lose. It will develop you not just physically but psychologically as well. And as an added bonus winning the gold medal really feels so good.

It's the preparation that helps your development. Or if you are in a small school competition helps you open your eyes to new games.

Back