Is Brady that good or has Gas gotten that bad?

I agree with you that he's old and at WW he's facing faster guys but he wasn't getting away with being fat and lazy at MW anymore either. Gastelum is 4-6 in his last 10 and it could be worse if not for the gift against Chris Curtis.

I was pretty surprised that he looked just as out of shape at WW as he did at MW.
Gift against Curtis? Lol

Belal is a top fighter now like it or not. He had the wrestling to make it a boxing match and beat the shit out of Bradym either way that was over a year ago

It's sad to say but Kelvin hasn't looked great for a hot minute. I don't want to disparage him I just want to see him do well. To answer your question though Brady (Tom) looked great out there. I was surprised how much he outstruck Kelvin

Kelvins entire career has just been so unpredictable

Bottom line is that he's undisciplined and inconsistent. I think this is also a good example of how changing a weight class is rarely going to fix much of anything. If anything he looked worse at WW. He still looked flabby on fight night and got absolutely grapple fucked.

He's lost 3 of his last 4 fights. It's been a long time since he KOd Bisping and nearly beat Izzy. He's done being a title contender. Although I think he will continue being dangerous.. it's time to accept he isn't consistent enough to be elite at WW or MW, and will almost surely never be a champion.

Sean Brady on the contrary, is a guy with a lot of upside. I think everyone wrote him off after losing to Belal in embarrassing fashion and he deserves a mulligan

I think what we all overlooked with Kelvin dropping to 170 was how much of his game is based around being a faster and more dynamic athlete than his competition.

At MW even though he looked chubby he had shocking quick hands and foot-speed relative to most of the division, and his incredible chin and block head let him eat shots from bigger men so that he could implement his attacks.

But at WW he appears drained of energy and confidence, on top of having his speed advantage completely negated. Pretty sad seeing him motivated to lose the weight but unable to implement any realistic game plan.

One of those fights where it looked like 1 guy drilled takedowns and grappling all camp long and the other guy stuck to stand up and making weight. Maybe Gastelum was relying on his strength and conditioning to carry him through the wrestling. He definitely looked like he planned for a standup fight. He did alright in the scrambles for a while but he got submitted at 170 so he’s got some things to think about. Highly effective game plan for Brady but stylistically Kelvin looked like a push over on the ground. Speed was also a factor. He’s undersized at 185 but he seems to have more get up and go at that weight and some of his best performances were where the TD was not a threat.

Last edited:
Gift against Curtis? Lol
Did you even watch the fight? A lot of people thought Curtis won. The ref totally missed Gastelum's head butt that put Curtis on queer street in round 2 I don't even like Curtis but Gastelum got a huge gift there.

I think what we all overlooked with Kelvin dropping to 170 was how much of his game is based around being a faster and more dynamic athlete than his competition.

At MW even though he looked chubby he had shocking quick hands and foot-speed relative to most of the division, and his incredible chin and block head let him eat shots from bigger men so that he could implement his attacks.

But at WW he appears drained of energy and confidence, on top of having his speed advantage completely negated. Pretty sad seeing him motivated to lose the weight but unable to implement any realistic game plan.
His gameplan didn't really do him any favors. After that first round it was obvious he was outmatched in the grappling and he came out in round two throwing these weak ass kicks while moving forward. Frustrating to watch, and surprise surprise he got tripped up and fell on his ground without Brady even having to do much of anything to get him there.

I don't know what camp he is at, but he looked completely unprepared to face a guy who is 16-1 and a strong grappler. He had no answer for anything in that fight.

I think it’s more Brady being very good , but Kelvin’s takedown defence was a complete bag of shit as well

His gameplan didn't really do him any favors. After that first round it was obvious he was outmatched in the grappling and he came out in round two throwing these weak ass kicks while moving forward. Frustrating to watch, and surprise surprise he got tripped up and fell on his ground without Brady even having to do much of anything to get him there.

I don't know what camp he is at, but he looked completely unprepared to face a guy who is 16-1 and a strong grappler. He had no answer for anything in that fight.

I think he spent his entire camp dieting and cutting weight, with little regard for working on technique or game-planning.

He fought like someone that showed up expecting to be able to do what he always did in fights, but be bigger and stronger now (on top of being historically faster) so hypothetically more effective.

Quickly he found out he’s no longer faster and that weight cut actually makes him weaker and saps his cardio.

To his credit he did damn good as an undersized MW, I think he just peaked early and never cared about pushing himself after that.

Gas hitting 170 and looking good had me hopeful.

I still remember Neil Magny outgrappling Gastelum. He's never had great wrestling defense.

Kelvin got outgrappled and lost to Neil Magny at WW. Hes also Weidmans only finish win in like the last decade. Hermannson tapped him in a minute.

Can we finally stop pretending Kelvin was ever this future champ? it was always ridiculous

Kelvin missed his window due to lack of discipline and drive. Sucks but shows that talent can only take you so far.

Brady is obviously good at what he does, but I thought Gastelum looked beyond terrible. BJ Penn's last few fights level of bad. He must not train hard, or is an alcoholic, or I don't know what. He's not that old and hasn't been in enough wars to be this shot this soon. His last good win was almost 6 years ago now. Strange fighter.

I think Brady is that good. I don't feel his loss to Belal was even that bad.

Did you even watch the fight? A lot of people thought Curtis won. The ref totally missed Gastelum's head butt that put Curtis on queer street in round 2 I don't even like Curtis but Gastelum got a huge gift there.
Scorecards and headbutts are different. The headbutt may have changed the course of the fight, but Gastelum clearly won it

I think he just looks soft in general

Can you imagine if he didn’t train UFC?

Back