Is Adesanya #2 MW in ufc history a general opinion here?

Fuck No ..... top 5 MW Maybe..... top 10 OK....

Prime Vitor, Hendo. Don't forget them. Tons guys could've beat him. Historically. In their prime. Machida. Bustamante. Who made him ever grapple. Israel vs Murilo Rua with stomps allowed.
Well Israel got 70 kockboxing fights. He is golden. But he dodged a bullet vs Brunson. Tkod him before takedown.
Sean, Dricus. What if Izzy losses to both
Barely won vs Old Romero and the Withaker rematch. Struggled mightily vs Kelvin.

And fucking LOL at Romero.
nothing to lol at, Romero has only lost close fights in the UFC with whittaker, Izzy and Costa. He has arguments for having beaten all 3 of these fighters.

Yoel has finishes over Kennedy, Weidman, Brunson, Machida and Rockhold with a decision over jacare.

IMO his record is better than whittakers in terms of fighters he's beaten (and when he has beaten them) He has also never been finished in the UFC, 2 of his 4 losses are split decisions.

Seems like his time on top was pretty short to me...but I'll leave it for some butt hurt fanboy, Sorry, I mean fan, to point out the stats to me. Izzy was certainly willing to test himself.
He won the Interim title April 2019
Unified against the Undisputed title holder Oct 2019
Five successful defenses, a failed bid for the LHW title and then lost the MW belt Nov 2022
Won the rematch with Alex Apr 2023 and lost the belt to Sean Strickland Sept 2023
That is 11 Title fights in under 4 1/2 years.

If we assume his "Time on Top" is now over 4 1/2 years may be short but I am not sure compared to who? Factor in his level of activity and that's pretty good.

By Comparison
Anderson Silva had 12 title fights (13 if you include Lutter) over 7 years.
Chris Weidman had 5 title fights over 2 1/2 years

I think its fair to say Chris' time at the top was fairly short. Izzy's time 4 1/2 years is pretty long relative to anyone else in MW history.
Look at other "Long tenured champs in the UFC.

Usman won his title March 2019 and lost his rematch with Leon Mar 2023 so 4 years with only 8 fights.
Volk won the FW title Dec 2019 and has 8 title fights soon to be 9 in the 4 1/2 years.
McGregor had 4 UFC title fights from July 2015-Oct 2018 so his time on top was just over 3 years but he barely fought.

I am not a Fanboy when it comes to Izzy but I thought I would break it down for you.

He won the Interim title April 2019
Unified against the Undisputed title holder Oct 2019
Five successful defenses, a failed bid for the LHW title and then lost the MW belt Nov 2022
Won the rematch with Alex Apr 2023 and lost the belt to Sean Strickland Sept 2023
That is 11 Title fights in under 4 1/2 years.

If we assume his "Time on Top" is now over 4 1/2 years may be short but I am not sure compared to who? Factor in his level of activity and that's pretty good.

By Comparison
Anderson Silva had 12 title fights (13 if you include Lutter) over 7 years.
Chris Weidman had 5 title fights over 2 1/2 years

I think its fair to say Chris' time at the top was fairly short. Izzy's time 4 1/2 years is pretty long relative to anyone else in MW history.
Look at other "Long tenured champs in the UFC.

Usman won his title March 2019 and lost his rematch with Leon Mar 2023 so 4 years with only 8 fights.
Volk won the FW title Dec 2019 and has 8 title fights soon to be 9 in the 4 1/2 years.
McGregor had 4 UFC title fights from July 2015-Oct 2018 so his time on top was just over 3 years but he barely fought.

I am not a Fanboy when it comes to Izzy but I thought I would break it down for you.
Thanks Man!

1?? Like over Anderson Silva??

I don't think that's possible, they're not that really close.
Elaborate? I believe he would be in the running for number 1 if he can capture the belt on two separate runs. Even Anderson couldn't do that. Israel's last MW win is the current LHW champion.

I am not a fan of Israel but he didn't play the Jon Jones is my friend schtick when it came to trying to capture the LHW strap. In terms of title fights win or loss; Israel isn't that far from Anderson.

No, it’s Yoel then whittaker
greatness isn’t about title defenses, you can rack up 10 defenses against a guy like vettori, or a guy like costa who was gifted a decision against yoel and whose best win is Uriah hall, it’s about all your wins, and how well you did in them

”but izzy beat both of them” he beat rob once and got gifted two decisions

stunk it up against vettori and cannonier, complete snoozefests

literally alternating wins and losses for his last 10 fights, the ultimate 50/50 fighter
There is definitely some merit to this opinion. Izzy has been competing in one of the weakest eras of ANY division I have ever seen with guys who have absolutely no business in a top 10 getting title shots and he still looks like total crap in the majority of his fights. I also agree that title defenses are a grossly overrated stat on here... JDS basically cleared out the HW division before he even fought for the belt... he is WAY above Stipe in the HW GOAT debate and Yoel had a similar run at MW.

I have no issue with someone ranking Izzy as #2 MW of all time and really it's splitting hairs... Yoel, Whittaker, and Izzy are all hovering in that range. I do however have a massive issue with anyone thinking Izzy is even remotely close to being #1. His title reign was extremely lackluster for the most part and he was never and will never be close to Anderson's level. He didn't even look good against an ancient Anderson who had already been dropped by Bisping recently FFS

There is definitely some merit to this opinion. Izzy has been competing in one of the weakest eras of ANY division I have ever seen with guys who have absolutely no business in a top 10 getting title shots and he still looks like total crap in the majority of his fights. I also agree that title defenses are a grossly overrated stat on here... JDS basically cleared out the HW division before he even fought for the belt... he is WAY above Stipe in the HW GOAT debate and Yoel had a similar run at MW.

I have no issue with someone ranking Izzy as #2 MW of all time and really it's splitting hairs... Yoel, Whittaker, and Izzy are all hovering in that range. I do however have a massive issue with anyone thinking Izzy is even remotely close to being #1. His title reign was extremely lackluster for the most part and he was never and will never be close to Anderson's level. He didn't even look good against an ancient Anderson who had already been dropped by Bisping recently FFS
Some people are stuck in the idea that your legacy begins and ends with beating people when there’s a belt on the line, even if you’re taking out the exact same people the champion of your division is in even more dominant fashion

No, it’s Yoel then whittaker
greatness isn’t about title defenses, you can rack up 10 defenses against a guy like vettori, or a guy like costa who was gifted a decision against yoel and whose best win is Uriah hall, it’s about all your wins, and how well you did in them

”but izzy beat both of them” he beat rob once and got gifted two decisions

stunk it up against vettori and cannonier, complete snoozefests

literally alternating wins and losses for his last 10 fights, the ultimate 50/50 fighter

Yoel lost to Whitaker twice and Costa. Izzy beat Whitaker twice and Costa.

WTF are you smoking.

nothing to lol at, Romero has only lost close fights in the UFC with whittaker, Izzy and Costa. He has arguments for having beaten all 3 of these fighters.

Yoel has finishes over Kennedy, Weidman, Brunson, Machida and Rockhold with a decision over jacare.

IMO his record is better than whittakers in terms of fighters he's beaten (and when he has beaten them) He has also never been finished in the UFC, 2 of his 4 losses are split decisions.
I genuinely honestly believe he was robbed 3 fights in a row, but no one seems to care becuase A) Robert whittaker is an extremely popular fighter and romero missed weight B) paulo is also very popular even at the time, and took it to romero from the first bell like not even Whittaker had, and C) izzy was the champ, he was popular, it was a boring fight, so the blame was placed on yoel, and rogan pushed this “he literally didn’t do anything!!!” Narrative cause he has a crush on adesanya, even though two judges gave him the first 2 rounds and the fight was decided on the 5th, which is insane

Kennedy, permanent ranked guy, some good wins
Tavares, straggler always just outside the top ten or just in it
Brunson, always a good win for anyone
Machida, former champ, first guy to knock him out in years
Weidman, just lost his belt, first real knockout
Rockhold, just lost his belt, finished his chin
Whittaker, champ, knocked him down twice, rocked him multiple times, 10-8 in the 5th
Adesanya, multiple defenses, as overrated as he is he was the champ fair and square and did have some legitimate title wins against number one contenders

Back