Is 25 Mbps enough?

Pliny Pete

Puts Butts In Seats
@plutonium
Reaction score
Tired of getting reemed by Comcast for 300 bucks a month so I'm cutting my cable and just keeping internet
Is 25 Mbps enough for Netflix, Youtube, Kodi, Xbox?
I'll be the only one using it so it will only be one thing at a time

It is, 25mbs should get you DL speeds up to 3.125MBs, nothing should need more than that for streaming until 4k is common.

It is enough but holy cow, I don't think I've been at 25 since 2006? 2007? Currently I'm at 300.

The hell are you paying that much for with Comcast?

I just upgraded to X1 with all the movie channels and 200MB internet for $150.

But yeah, that should be fine for streaming. Might notice some issues if you're doing any online gaming.

It is enough but holy cow, I don't think I've been at 25 since 2006? 2007? Currently I'm at 300.
I'm at 100 right but I suspect that most of that is unneeded so thats why I want to downgrade
I'm never home anymore and I'm tired of wasting money on shit I dont use

I'm at 100 right but I suspect that most of that is unneeded so thats why I want to downgrade
I'm never home anymore and I'm tired of wasting money on shit I dont use

Obligatory <{poor?}>

It's enough. I say go for it. You can always upgrade later on if you change your mind.

25mbps for netflix, youtube and browsing is more than enough for one person.

I get 7Mb p/sec and its still not enough on youtube sometimes. It all depends on how they account for neighborhood traffic. Sometimes I will download a DVD and it is done in 15 minutes, sometimes when watching youtube it buffers forever, and blames it on neighborhood traffic.

It's all I have TS. And I stream Netflix and surf the Internet no problem.

I have 10mbps and do everything i want. Even get pwnt on battlefield 1. And I can't even blame lag!

I've been at 25Mbps for like 5 years because I refuse to abandon my grandfathered bundle which allows me to use my own router and get a $45/mo cellphone credit.

It's enough for Netflix/Amazon Prime, Youtube and the occasional torrented "Linux distro" which is all I do these days. In the past I've gamed on way less.

I was going to look into this same thing, thanks TS.

yeah, i've ran all those apps on 25 and have had no issues. Are you running DSL or Cable?

I pay $120 for internet only 50 Mbps. Sadly, I don't have many options.

Not good ebough for 4k stream

I run all that shit on 4mbs.

25mbps should suffice unless you stream a lot of 4k. In which case, I have 50mbps and it works great!

I get 7Mb p/sec and its still not enough on youtube sometimes. It all depends on how they account for neighborhood traffic. Sometimes I will download a DVD and it is done in 15 minutes, sometimes when watching youtube it buffers forever, and blames it on neighborhood traffic.

Then it wouldn't matter which service you had.

The bottleneck at that point is not your service, but their delivery network.

They upgraded our neighbor several years back and service was always solid.

Now, I've notice evenings starting to bog down too. It'll reach a breaking point soon I think and they'll have to do wholesale upgrading around the country as normal cable TV dies off and streaming becomes the norm.

I pay $54 a month for 25 MPS connection and I've never had an issue. I play Xbox online all the time and never have had connection issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back