Is 2023 the WORST movie year in history so far?

Why are you shrieking about race? Who the hell brought up race?
You are the one gesturing broadly at all these books and university papers that are talking about the decline of Hollywood while failing to actually explain what is causing that decline. The obvious and serious explanation for the decline in movie quality, the type of explanation that comes out of said books and university papers, would be the corrosive effect of the profit motive on cinema. Films being treated as investments that need to deliver huge returns, has eliminated the mid-budget production that made up a majority of the hits of years past. When I attributed the serious and academic critique to you, you said I live in a drab little world. Ok, so your criticism of cinema isn't based on the profit motive. Since you continually to fail to communicate what your explanation is for the decline of Hollywood (and the explanation of these supposed books and papers), I move on to the next possible explanation, which is that your criticism is based around your reactionary politics. i.e. "Hollywood is declining because of wokeness!!!". Wokeness of course being a stand-in for non-white and non-straight people appearing on screen more often than previous decades.

Did I miss anything?

The opposite for me, I liked Wick 2 and 3 well enough but they did feel more like "good franchise films", more your typical plot with a badass character in an action thriller plot. Wick 4 felt like it really pushed more into the Highlander influence more strongly, became more of an epic drama.
lol John wick “epic drama” that’s how stupid the average hipster movie goer has become

You are the one gesturing broadly at all these books and university papers that are talking about the decline of Hollywood while failing to actually explain what is causing that decline. The obvious and serious explanation for the decline in movie quality, the type of explanation that comes out of said books and university papers, would be the corrosive effect of the profit motive on cinema. Films being treated as investments that need to deliver huge returns, has eliminated the mid-budget production that made up a majority of the hits of years past. When I attributed the serious and academic critique to you, you said I live in a drab little world. Ok, so your criticism of cinema isn't based on the profit motive. Since you continually to fail to communicate what your explanation is for the decline of Hollywood (and the explanation of these supposed books and papers), I move on to the next possible explanation, which is that your criticism is based around your reactionary politics. i.e. "Hollywood is declining because of wokeness!!!". Wokeness of course being a stand-in for non-white and non-straight people appearing on screen more often than previous decades.

Did I miss anything?
Yes that you have embarrassing cringe taste in entertainment

Yes that you have embarrassing cringe taste in entertainment
"I didn't watch any of these movies but they're shit anyway!!!" why tf would I care what you have to say about this? If you've never eaten a pizza from X place, why would I care what you have to say about the quality of pizza from X?

"I didn't watch any of these movies but they're shit anyway!!!" why tf would I care what you have to say about this? If you've never eaten a pizza from X place, why would I care what you have to say about the quality of pizza from X?
I don’t need to watch to know that 99% are fucking horrible with no replay value. Hollywood is at an all time low stop fucking denying it you hipster dweeb

Did I miss anything?
Yes, you missed everything that I wrote. It was about technology changing the nature of the industry, about broadening interests (dividing the talent base), and the diminishment of glamor. The profit incentive and the nature of business is inextricable from any observations related to these. Many artists have bemoaned this lamenting in particular the disappearance of the middle budget movie as the space inhabited by many of the high-ambition art projects where studios marshaled their best talent to produce the best scripts that circulated in Hollywood that year.

Instead, your bigoted mind apparently sprung to this race obsession. Shame.

2023 was great for movies if you are a fan of horror. I saw 7 of these in theater and dug them all except Demeter which was pretty meh.

M3gan
Talk to Me
Evil Dead Rise
The Pope's Exorcist - not great but Crowe is fun
When Evil Lurks
Godzilla Minus One
Pale Blue Eye
Renfield
Infinity Pool
A Knock at the Cabin
Leave the World Behind
The Offering
Missing
Thanksgiving
Sick
Pearl
The Last Voyage of the Demeter
Totally Killer
No One Will Save You
Cobweb
Influencer
Good call on Influencer.

I caught that on Shudder one night and thought it was pretty entertaining.

Had zero expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Best year for movies IMHO. Creativity and excitement was the best way to describe 2023:

Rebel Moon
Indiana Jones
Mission Impossible
Flash
Black Adam
Shazam
Marvels
Napoleon
Thanksgiving

Its true though isnt it? Sherdog has a load of bitter middle aged right wing men on it who care way more about pissing and moaning about "woke" than they do cinema.

Personally I havent really seen enough this year to judge it yet, a product of much of the better cinema in the modern era being from the arthouse scene is that it takes much longer to filter down to most people unless you live in a big city near arthouse venues, the odd release like Dream Scenario goes wider due to Cage but mostly its well into the following year before I'v seen a lot of hyped stuff on streaming or disk.

Just blockbuster wise I think any year with Wick 4 isnt THAT bad but really I think were seeing now how dependant the blockbuster scene was on the MCU, for years I think those films covered for the mostly wave of mediocrity Hollywood was serving up and now there on the decline somewhat(Guardians 3 was good though) I think thats being exposed.

People recognize shit when they see it. I watched the 1899 series and they just randomly for no reason at all had a dude go jerk another dude off through a metal door to add some gayness to a series that had no need for it and was completely out of place from the storyline. That shit along with the fact that the series quickly went from super interesting to annoying repetitive garbage meant that it's wokeness and shitty creativity made for a terrible waste of time. You can kind of rinse and repeat that with a lot of content the last couple years.

This coming from a guy who thinks The Birdcage is a hilarious movie. Pointlessly adding woke content where it doesn't belong is just as annoying as pointlessly adding a fight scene for no reason whatsoever. It's very obvious when there is an agenda that isn't a part of the original idea and it's never been more apparent than these last couple years.

Yes, you missed everything that I wrote. It was about technology changing the nature of the industry, about broadening interests (dividing the talent base), and the diminishment of glamor. The profit incentive and the nature of business is inextricable from any observations related to these. Many artists have bemoaned this including the disappearance of the middle budget movie was the space inhabited by many of the high-ambition art projects where studios marshaled their best talent to produce the best scripts that circulated in Hollywood that year.

Instead, your bigoted mind apparently sprung to this race obsession. Shame.
99.999% of the time that a reactionary like yourself is decrying the decline of cinema, its based around wokeness i.e "wahhh black people are on screen". So I guess excuse me for my brain having pattern recognition, which is the basis of human cognition. Is that something you lack?

Also, exactly who am I bigoted against? Conservatives? If so, ya got me! I'm bigoted against bigots. Guilty as charged.

i won’t let you take full responsibility
It's too late, I've already taken to Twitter to make a statement and even posted an apology video on YouTube where I cry and play a guitar.

99.999% of the time that a reactionary like yourself is decrying the decline of cinema, its based around wokeness i.e "wahhh black people are on screen". So I guess excuse me for my brain having pattern recognition, which is the basis of human cognition. Is that something you lack?

Also, exactly who am I bigoted against? Conservatives? If so, ya got me! I'm bigoted against bigots. Guilty as charged.
It's not my fault you made an ass of yourself with these assumptions. You injected race into this discussion. You assumed and rationalized a simplistic, binary explanation for the deterioration of the artistic quality of film. You did this despite me offering, and then repeating, a three point outline that had nothing to do with "wokeness". You're the one who thinks prejudicially.

Most ironically, you did this while simultaneously signaling your effete contempt for capitalism despite your first post in this thread trumpeting the quality of films this year by citing scores compiled by RottenTomatoes, a corporate outfit, which is itself ultimately owned by Warner Bros: one of the largest international entertainment media conglomerates, and one of the original six major studios in Hollywood.

LOL. You played yourself.

wow great thread, I agree, this is the last good film ever made
giphy-2-e1553258994468.gif

It's not my fault you made an ass of yourself with these assumptions. You injected race into this discussion. You assumed and rationalized a simplistic, binary explanation for the deterioration of the artistic quality of film. You did this despite me offering, and then repeating, a three point outline that had nothing to do with "wokeness". You're the one who thinks prejudicially.

Most ironically, you did this while simultaneously signaling your effete contempt for capitalism despite your first post in this thread trumpeting the quality of films this year by citing scores compiled by RottenTomatoes, a corporate outfit, which is itself ultimately owned by Warner Bros: one of the largest international entertainment media conglomerates, and one of the original six major studios in Hollywood.

<bball2>

I didn't like it either but for other reasons. you had to know it was going to be all talking. It's a historical biopic about a scientist. He ain't gonna build an iron man suit and fly around

What were your reasons? The movie didnt even show the U.S. fucking up Japan.

What were your reasons?
I didn't like the fact that we only got to see Florence Pugh's tits twice. It would've been better if she put on the outfit she wore in black widow and slowly unzipped it, like that should've been at least an hour of the movie.

For real though it seemed like there was supposed to be some big dramatic reveal when you find out
that Robert Downey was the traitor, but that moment was completely lost because they didn't do a good job of building up any mystery first.

It's not my fault you made an ass of yourself with these assumptions. You injected race into this discussion.
I didn't. I could've used race, or gay people, or anything that stands for "woke" in the broken brains of reactionaries like yourself.
You assumed and rationalized a simplistic, binary explanation for the deterioration of the artistic quality of film. You did this despite me offering, and then repeating, a three point outline that had nothing to do with "wokeness". You're the one who thinks prejudicially.
I didn't see you do anything of the sort in response to me. I'm not reading every post in this thread. But I will read your responses to me.

Oh no, rotten tomatoes is owned by a corporation, I'm so owned. You got me.

Back