Is 2023 the WORST movie year in history so far?

This was actually the most times i've been to a theater in probably 10+ years. Went 4x for UFC PPV, 2x for a Metallica concert double header, and then saw 4 movies which I really enjoyed all of them (Spiderman, Boy and the Heron, Oppenheimer, Godzilla).

I can safely that I didn't watch any movie from 2023. Would like to see Godzilla and Oppenheimer though.

I'm surprised so many people liked the Barbie movie.

It had some clever jokes but it really dragged on too long and the story wasn't that engaging.

I wonder if people's expectations were just so low that when it turned out halfway decent they were all surprised and praised it.

I'm highlighting objective truths substantiating the (rather widespread) opinion for why cinema has declined in quality. This isn't something just those on Sherdog feel. There are books being written about it on shelves, papers being written in universities, and plenty of videos you can scour on YouTube.
Ah, at last, my anti-capitalist comrade. I'm glad you've come around to realizing the toxic and corrosive effects of the profit motive in art and cinema.

....or is this about wokeness?

audiences and critics disagree with you. You having poor taste or being unaware doesn't invalidate consensus.

This guy is so self important he thinks his opinions invalidates the consensus of millions.

Here's what's really going on buddy, you're a right wing culture warrior, right? So you have to paint and stick to the narrative that Hollywood sucks. Thank God audiences and critics don't give two shits about your political agenda 🙏
Wrong again.

As opposed to the subjective drivel you've offered? Here, let's paraphrase you in this thread:

"Oof! Listen to all the mouthbreathers whine about a year they didn't watch a ton of movies because the movies they watched didn't make them want to watch more! I watched movies! I spend all day watching movies! This year was great. Historic, even! One of the best years ever!"

Pure opinion. Meanwhile, I've cited the decade shouldn't be expected to be especially strong because:

1. COVID effectively crippled two years of filmmaking with lockdowns
2. Cinema has been weakened by the entertainment industry's severely fragmented media audiences due to on-demand services like streaming, but more so by the fact the younger generation is more interested in non-fictional entertainment outlets such as those they find on Tiktok and YouTube, and by many first worlders opting to stay home (because home theater equipment has gotten so cheap)
3. Compounding this, mainstream theater has leaned into luxury and blockbuster cinema to survive despite diminishing in total locations because so many don't find the silver screen enticing anymore

You forgot what traditional book publishers are doing to cinema. The entire literary industry is being shut off by a traditional close minded industry merging with modernised demographic based audience driven marketing. Its a nightmare relationship leading to processed regurgitation and copy cat fiction which by extension is putting a chokehold on modern film. No one is willing to take a risk on new writers, unless they are already catering to a strong preestablished market and even then its rare. Someone mentioned in another thread comedy changes every decade. Fiction is meant to do the same but the industry and people in it have barely updated in aeons. Now it is stagnated and has an overwhelming feeling multiple generations and innovations have been missed.

I'm surprised so many people liked the Barbie movie.

It had some clever jokes but it really dragged on too long and the story wasn't that engaging.

I wonder if people's expectations were just so low that when it turned out halfway decent they were all surprised and praised it.
I really enjoyed the sub-text of the film that critiqued neo-liberal feminism. You would think the anti-woke culture warrior crowd would have appreciated that, but it likely went over their heads.

Also, as Mattel is a client of mine, I appreciated their willingness to make fun of themselves.

Ah, at last, my anti-capitalist comrade. I'm glad you've come around to realizing the toxic and corrosive effects of the profit motive in art and cinema.

....or is this about wokeness?
What a drab little world you live in.

I only saw 2 superhero movies this year I thought were great. GOTG 3 and Across the Spiderverse. Everything else DC and Marvel did was mediocre. If that's what you think makes a good year for movies, then it was a bad year for you. But the independent scene was fantastic. Horror had a banner year.

Where Evil Lurks
Talk to Me
Beau is Afraid
Evil Dead Rise
Thanksgiving
Infinity Pool

What a drab little world you live in.
Please link me these university papers and research articles talking about the decline in cinema, that is not about the profit motive. WTF else could you be talking about when you say -
There are books being written about it on shelves, papers being written in universities, and plenty of videos you can scour on YouTube.
No one is writing papers in universities crying about black people being in movies. What else could be talking about other than how corrosive the profit motive is???

You mean in a decade where two years were crippled by lockdowns, and where cinema has already reached a historical nadir in terms of quality due to the fragmentation of media, and the fact we've entered an era where home theater has largely obviated physical theater locations, in which major cinema locations like the one in Sherman Oaks have resorted to putting up blockbusters like Frozen II on every single one of their over 16 screens upon release in order to stay afloat? That isn't just an American issue, either. Frozen 2 had to survive an anti-monopoly challenge in Korea by citing the fact that while it was on well over 50% of screens when released, it only took up 46% of total national screenings.

What does this have to do with the quality of the movies this year? Did you actually watch many films this year?

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Poor Things
Red Rooms
Past Lives
Anatomy of a Fall
May December
Bottoms
Fallen Leaves
Do Not Expect Too Much From the End of the World
Monster
Dream Scenario
John Wick 4
Godzilla Minus One
How to Have Sex
Beau is Afraid
Blackberry
Rotting in the Sun
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Partner
Barbie
Naga
The Killer
Infinity Pool
Close Your Eyes

need me to go on? i can go on.
so whats the good one?

Please link me these university papers and research articles talking about the decline in cinema, that is not about the profit motive. WTF else could you be talking about when you say -

No one is writing papers in universities crying about black people being in movies. What else could be talking about other than how corrosive the profit motive is???
Why are you shrieking about race? Who the hell brought up race?

Back