Injuries by a White Belt?

I just recently joined a local Judo club. I wear a white belt for obvious reasons but I've done a fair amount of BJJ and Freestyle wrestling (and i'm physically big) that i've been using trips and working my way to getting RNC or armbar during randori.

Problem is these higher belt grades hate me i think. They're claiming everything is all strength moves I get them down with.

They then pair me with these junior kids (even though its an adult class) and i go extremely light to the point i feel like i'm about to take a snooze whilst letting them work but i scooted under an arm and had my arms round waist from back and pulled kid to ground leaving leg for tripping.

Main coach accused me of trying to hurt children with 'suicide move'.

I dunno what to do tbh. They're interested in my background but id rather keep it low key.

A different martial art i done before criticised every move i done when i told them i trained other martial arts.

(E.g. a kick...)

"That looks a little Muay Thai to me!"

Annoying because I full well know the difference between the 2 different kicks and only smiled and nodded my head to appear humble listening to your 10 minute insightful knowledge of 'Tom Po' (Tong Po) from JCVD's Kickboxer.

Last edited:
I just recently joined a local Judo club. I wear a white belt for obvious reasons but I've done a fair amount of BJJ and Freestyle wrestling (and i'm physically big) that i've been using trips and working my way to getting RNC or armbar during randori.

Problem is these higher belt grades hate me i think. They're claiming everything is all strength moves I get them down with.

They then pair me with these junior kids (even though its an adult class) and i go extremely light to the point i feel like i'm about to take a snooze whilst letting them work but i scooted under an arm and had my arms round waist from back and pulled kid to ground leaving leg for tripping.

I dunno what to do tbh. They're interested in my background but id rather keep it low key.

A different martial art i done before criticised every move i done when i told them i trained other martial arts.

(E.g. a kick...)

Annoying because I full well know the difference between the 2 different kicks and only smiled and nodded my head to appear humble listening to your 10 minute insightful knowledge of 'Tom Po' (Tong Po) from JCVD's Kickboxer.
Um you might need to find another gym

I think you're right. I thought judo would be good fit and the club is very nearby but I guess I'm hurting their ego more than they've been hurt physically by a white belt.

Part of me doesn't want to let them make me quit. I guess going from MMA gym to traditional club has drawbacks.

I think you're right. I thought judo would be good fit and the club is very nearby but I guess I'm hurting their ego more than they've been hurt physically by a white belt.

Part of me doesn't want to let them make me quit. I guess going from MMA gym to traditional club has drawbacks.
I had to make the same transition from college to a bjj gym. This will probably not come out right but you have to understand that it's not that hobbyists don't train hard or are scared to be physical, they're just less used to simply accepting violence or callousness about violence the way an mma gym or college room does. This gym sounds bad in general but you'll have to learn how to adjust wherever you go

(E.g. a kick...)

Are they aware of your training backgrounds?

In any case, sounds like you're hurting egos of people who aren't actually good at judo but like to believe they are.

Are they aware of your training backgrounds?

In any case, sounds like you're hurting egos of people who aren't actually good at judo but like to believe they are.

No they aren't fully aware of my background. I fell away from martial arts for a couple of years, packed on a lot of weight and struggled with the thought of going back to my usual gym for the same reasons. Going to an unfamiliar new gym seemed easier. I've now had 5 classes of Judo in my life.

I thought my best bet to avoid looking arrogant and getting less of the comparisons to anything other than Judo was to just say "years ago" and "a little Jiu Jitsu" when grilled by various club members.

It's technically true, a couple of years ago i did do BJJ. Some other guy I said "mix of some things".

Playing it down seemed like the best way to avoid looking like a bullshitter also because I thought i'd be much worse than i am after absence.

It's went the other way for me I guess, they say it's strength moves and danger techniques that is the reason i'm getting to an armbar stage than 'illegal Jiu Jitsu/wrestling' technique.

Overall there's only a few I'd give the time of day as being worthy training partners. All black belts and a knowledgable injury ridden brown belt who i can tell from drills would last about 20 - 30 seconds on mat if lucky.

You're right though, most aren't as good as the belt they wear makes them think they are.

Perhaps it's inevitable i'll be back to wrestling n BJJ.

Wait what? Why would you ever do that?
Yeah midget wrestling is dumb.. I'm a wrestler and I will start on bottom just to avoid that. My one personal pet peeve is that if they sit down too... I'll come up. Not really into double guard pulling personally, I'd rather work on top or bottom

Talk to the coach. This may not be the first time he's heard this.

It would be if he wasn't an expert grappler and coach
Appealing to a singularity as an authority in one instance is not a great idea when virtually no wrestling or grappling coach will tell you that. You need to go with the consensus. You have no leverage from your knees to be effective at it really except on someone who is tired, no stability, less mobility, less ability to adapt and transition, and it is more prone to developing injured knees.

Appealing to a singularity as an authority in one instance is not a great idea when virtually no wrestling or grappling coach will tell you that. You need to go with the consensus. You have no leverage from your knees to be effective at it really except on someone who is tired, no stability, less mobility, less ability to adapt and transition, and it is more prone to developing injured knees.

First point, yes you have a decent argument. Keep in mind I have probably worked on my takedowns from knees for like 20 minutes tops and it gives me a significant advantage against those that insist on playing it. Why should I concede top control to a big fat guy that never pulls guard? Why should I just chase those that run away from my butterfly guard? I don't concede shit in grappling.

and your second point, all I have to say is you are wrong. There are plenty of ways to takedown someone that is on their knees. If someone is immobile and has really good base then I can pull myself into guard and initiate a sweep easily. My favorite being the butterfly guard where you kick the knee out

I'm not saying concede top position, i don't concede ever either. I also don't do any form of knee grappling. I also don't have to chase people.

I'm not saying concede top position, i don't concede ever either. I also don't do any form of knee grappling. I also don't have to chase people.
pulling guard is by definition conceding top position

if you don't think it's valid that's fine. I've seen plenty of black belts employ it to know it has its uses. Hitting a takedown from an open guard requires you to come to your knees, for one thing.

It wasn't a child, but somebody accused me of using a "suicide move" when I decided to try te makura during a standup roll...

It wasn't a child, but somebody accused me of using a "suicide move" when I decided to try te makura during a standup roll...

Nice... With my case on that one the 'child' was approximately 16 years old. Not small in physique and not too bothered about being taken down.

I don't know the Japanese name for it but at the time I was pretty badly injured and only sparred (randoori) because I knew I would only further the injury by my own wrong doing.

I was standing behind him and wrapping my arms round waist from behind. I then dropped my bodyweight and pulled him to ground.

A little tripping action whilst pulling him down.

Not exactly a suplex on a 5 year old. Anyways I would prefer not dealing with the ones making the crossover from junior to senior. Feels like unpaid babysitting in some respect.

Last edited:
If he cranked your neck, and you got injured, its only your pride and ego that hurt you, not him. You should have just tapped.
If it was an "illegal" move, then you should have just tapped, and told him it was illegal.

The biggest problem with new people is usually hygiene and nails. Those are what you have to look out for.

Back