PlayStation I'm Buying a PS3!

Came here to say that. I'd even toss in 3 too because all Yakuza games are amazing. I still need to play 5 and 0 and those HD remakes...6 is releasing this year too? Man, I'm way behind on that series despite actually buying a physical copy of the first two PS2 Yakuza games back in the day.

6 is next month and looks fantastic

Ps3 is my all time favorite console,
I also watch bluray movies on it.
Games recommended :
Uncharted 2&3
Mgs4 & mgs Hd collection
Ico & Shadow of collosus Hd collection
Demons souls & Dark souls
Limbo
Journey
Bioshock

Good news, everyone! I'm returning after a long layoff (mostly missed the last generation) by buying a PS3. I never had a PS2, so I'm going to grab some re-released PS2 exclusives I missed (Ratchet and Clank, ect.).

I have some questions for the brain trust:

1. Big PS3? Slim? Super Slim? Recommended HDD size?

2. Game suggestions? Any must-haves for the PS3? I'm planning to grab the PS3 Yakuza titles.

Thanks for the help!
I just did the same.
NHL 11 is great.
Arkham Asylum has a fun combat system but you can't button mash your way through it.

Ps3 is my all time favorite console,
I also watch bluray movies on it.
Games recommended :
Uncharted 2&3
Mgs4 & mgs Hd collection
Ico & Shadow of collosus Hd collection
Demons souls & Dark souls
Limbo
Journey
Bioshock
People say don't use your PS3 to watch movie discs because it'll wear out, but I like being able to replace the laser myself, but I don't know if I can buy and replace my standalone DVD player's laser. I also don't know if the PS3 laser is standardized and used in enough other machines where it'll be easy to buy in the future. DVD's do look better on PS3 than my DVD player.

PS3 will also play mp4, mp3, etc via USB flashdrive.

Myself and many other people I know couldn't play that game for more than an hour without gettng bored to absolute tears.
The game gets progressively better throughout. We joke in the speedrunning community that the start of the game is a walking simulator, but it's still a great game overall. Very nice mix of story and action. Beating the game on grounded mode is very satisfying.

No need to get offended just an opinion didn't think it sucked it was just boring to myself and the 5 or so friends I know that tried it. Didn't really see what was so special about it, none of us really. Didn't say it was a bad game just not our cup of tea, I give pretty much every game a chance at least.
Personally, I'm not offended, but just to clarify, did you only play the game for an hour and then quit, or what? The best part of the game is towards the end. The game might not be for everybody, but there's definitely a payoff if you stick with it.

Thats why I hated it
Fuckin game holds your hand way too much
See that's just it, I love the fact that I'm able to rise above the game holding your hand while playing it at a high level. The game guides you to crouch, but I literally sprint past enemies unscathed on grounded mode. There was a guy on Twitch who got about 700k views on Twitch this week speedrunning the game on grounded. He set a world record and he beats the game in less than 2 hours and 55 minutes without glitches, even though it's supposed to be a 15-hour game. I understand what you mean, though. I just get a kick out of using skill to take the game to higher levels.

Mark of Kri, jak and daxter collection, re 4, re revelations, demon souls, twisted metal, MK 9,DMC remake, dishonoured.

It isn't that Last of Us is a bad game, it is that it just isn't much of a game at all. The story is good but the "gameplay" is almost non existent if you really think about it. It's a film mascaraing as a game, I don't mind games like RPG's that focus less on combat and more on story but at least give me some choices. Last of Us is totally linear in the levels and story. Playing on harder difficulties just results in wasting more of your time with no real benefit since the only point of the "game" is to see the cut scenes. That being said media like this is subjective so I see both sides, this was also the first naughty dog game I played and I really didn't know I was getting into a interactive film instead of a game where you actually have skill involved. Even games with bad combat (a lot of rpgs) have skill in the way you create your character and define their attributes, Last of Us is just walking your self through a movie (albeit a interesting and good one). You said it your self, "experience", that is what it is, it's not a game.
To me, an interactive movie is like the David Cage bullshit, I didn't experience any of that with The Last of Us. I also think it takes a lot of skill to speedrun the game or do no damage runs like some people do.

You're not gonna see action in gameplay like that in a David Cage movie, I mean game.

People say don't use your PS3 to watch movie discs because it'll wear out, but I like being able to replace the laser myself, but I don't know if I can buy and replace my standalone DVD player's laser. I also don't know if the PS3 laser is standardized and used in enough other machines where it'll be easy to buy in the future. DVD's do look better on PS3 than my DVD player.

PS3 will also play mp4, mp3, etc via USB flashdrive.
I have my ps3 slim since 2011 and so far no problems with it. It is not fast machine like ps4, but it does get job done. And yeah don’t watch bluray/dvd very often, but still no problem since 2011.
Also forget to add The last of us to the list. I think it shines a little brighter on the ps4, but like a game in a whole, it is one of the best.

How is it overrated? It is one of the greatest games I’ve ever played. I didn’t need media to tell me that either. I honestly didn’t even know what the game was before playing it. I was blown away.
probably agree. took me some time to realize that. it's not that naughty dog just released one game and it became a huge sucess in one night. uncharted series are very good games and the last of us even better. (at least for me)
the best thing about last of us is not gameplay actually, but the environment design, the way they used lighting and colours, ambience... it is honestly the most believable post apocalyptic game I have ever played. and it is one of the most believable horror games I have played (together with classics like Silent Hill !!!). Just play the Left behind dlc and explore it a little, don't force it, look at the enviroment arround you. It is almost they (naughty dog) blured the line between movies and games, and not even just movies(some horror b-movie for arthouse festival).
yeah, the story may be cheesy some time, the whole zombie apocalypse thing is beatten to death, but this is just a video game at the end of the day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My ps3 power source went bad

I was just trying to play MGS4 :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back