Media Ilia Topuria: "Fighting Brian Ortega Makes MORE Sense, Max Can WAIT w/o BMF Belt"

Max is one of Dana and hunter favorite fighters in the promotion. On top of it he is now a huge star. The ufc will determine the FW title fight. I don’t think Ilia has much say in it to be honest.

Because he already turned down a Volk rematch and now he's putting stipulations on a possible Max fight.

He's literally calling out Ortega lmao.
No fighter deserves an instant rematch. If max was the warrior that he claims and weight don’t matter blah blah blah. Why will he not put the BMF belt on the line?

Ortega is a bum but if Max is too scared to lose his jewelry than he does not deserve the fight.

No fighter deserves an instant rematch. If max was the warrior that he claims and weight don’t matter blah blah blah. Why will he not put the BMF belt on the line?

Ortega is a bum but if Max is too scared to lose his jewelry than he does not deserve the fight.
If it helps you process it, try to think of the BMF belt as a separate division exclusively for BMF's. If Ilia wants to challenge for it he needs to come to that division but that would require him to stop being such a pussy and qualify by being a bad ass.

As other posters have said, when a champ challenges another champ, only the belt for the division the fight is taking place in is contested. Since Ilia is most definitely NOT a badass motherfucker, he can't challenge for the belt.

Imagine the BMF belt being held hostage by some diva.... Would completely undermine the purpose of it.

Now with all that said, the whole BMF belt thing is a little silly so nobody is necessarily wrong with their opinion, I just find this to be the only logical way of thinking about it since it does exist.

Sounds like he's looking for easy fights.

Demanding the BMF title to be put on the line is strange when it's the UFC who decides this, not Max.

Why is this guy putting more value on the BMF gimmick belt than every other fighter who has fought for it, combined. Nonsense

I think he wants this BMF belt for the money essentially. I recall Justin Gaethe saying that the BMF belt comes with the same benefits as being a champion thus you have ppv cuts (or something like that). I guess Ilia wants to use his two belts status (if he wins) to negotiate something with ufc.
Its clear he thinks winning the BMF title will open the doors for a Conor fight and hes basically been begging to fight him...
Absolutely insufferable person, the sooner the titles off him the better.

If Max does fight illia and puts the belt on the line this little Spaniard better not just spam fucking takedowns. I don’t want to see any BMF title fight follow up to what we just witnessed spoiled by a wrestling heavy gameplan.

Also I believe Max starches him regardless of Topuira’s gameplan. I said this post Top beating Volk. Styles make fights and I think Max gives him major problems.

I’ve seen other fighters say the same thing they see max beating ilia. In fact Volk just gave an interview saying he thinks max beats ilia.

Mac never said he wouldn’t put the bmf belt on the line, what he did say was that’s not very bmf of ilia to demand the bmf belt on line to fight him. And if you think about the bmf meaning, he is right.

1. Topuria makes announcements about the BMF belt after Holloway wins. - Question: If the BMF belt is given for other purposes, why is UFC silent on Topuria's statements? - This proves that what Topuria says is possible.

2. Topuria's goal, by what logic should not be a BMF belt? "Would any of you say no to that? Isn't a double benefit better than just defending the belt?" - It's clear that we all love Holloway, but there's a bit of bias and, in addition, distrust of Topuria.

3. If "Dustin Poirier" was given to Islam Makhachev, why can't Topuria defend the belt compared to "Ortega" with less risk? earn extra money, with less risk than it would have been with "Holloway"... If others make career defenses against sometimes lower weight fighters, doesn't Topuria have the right to have his first belt defense against a relatively easy opponent?

4. Topuria will certainly meet Max, either now or at most in the defense of the second belt. You haven't seen his wrestling yet, it's Makhachev's or Khabib's level of wrestling, if not more. You will see all this yourself. He controls his opponent's legs like Khabib did and then slowly puts the opponent under pressure. You haven't seen Topuria's power in this component yet, he is a heavy wrestler, you can't escape easily if he takes you to the parterre. I have one soul when I see him against Yevloev so that you all can see how Yevloev will lose with his own advantage.

I think Ilia is a nightmare for the UFC right now when it comes to negotiations. He think he will be the highest paid athlete in 2025, in all of sports (crazy talk). Joe Rogan already said he turned down a Volk rematch, did he want more money (probably)?

He has alot of potential, exciting, great fighter but this behaviour where he think he is the biggest star ever in MMA is just silly and he is not gaining any fans by it.

I’ve seen other fighters say the same thing they see max beating ilia. In fact Volk just gave an interview saying he thinks max beats ilia.

Got a link? I'd like to watch it.

Hard to root for a diva, especially in a division that had classy champions as Aldo, Max and Volk.

BMF should be the best, regardless of weight division.

I wanna see Max v Alex Pereira.

Diva formula -Fight a few select fights...Win belt .. then never take a real challenge again .
Following the great Volk's reign, this clown is an embarrassment to the belt.​
Hard to root for a diva, especially in a division that had classy champions as Aldo, Max and Volk.
Truth, a weak AF look from this total Non-BMF clown.​
Ortega has 2 wins in 5 fights, that's who I'd pick too. Not very BMF though.
F'n DIVA cowardly callout. No respect for this gutless "champ".​

Following the great Volk's reign, this clown is an embarrassment to the belt.

Truth, a weak AF look from this total Non-BMF clown.

F'n DIVA cowardly callout. No respect for this gutless "champ".​
I respect ilia, I think he definitely has skills and is dangerous for any ufc FW, but I don’t appreciate how he handles things. And he did ko volk cold and that is a massive achievement, however he needs to not act like he is levels above volk and max. Volk won the first round. And volk also had been just ko’d a couple months before their fight. Volk made a terrible decision to fight him on such short time frame. But who knows if the outcome would have been the same had he not been ko’d couple months before. Maybe it would have.

To be honest I think there both credible opponents, main thing is they happen relatively quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowtrooper444
Back