Media Ilia Topuria: "Fighting Brian Ortega Makes MORE Sense, Max Can WAIT w/o BMF Belt"

Ilia just put up a photo of Volk getting KO'd after he apparently said he reckons Max will beat him.

Even his own fans were calling him out on ducking Max on that post haha.

If it's him making the posts he is Conor coke levels of bad on there, if he is paying someone, he needs a new guy. He is setting himself up for a huge fall. I don't think we will see more than a single defence to be honest. I get the feeling he is snorting coke and drinking like a posty Floyd Conor at this point with how his social media looks.

Full interview is here and Ilia just took the headlines they used. Volk says he is good and caught him, but hasn't defended so should focus on that.

All the fighters who have fought for the BMF belt are long time veterans who have been around the sport forever and are fan favorites. Topuria is new and no one was paying attention to him a few fights ago. To the extent it means anything it would cheapen the title to let him fight for it. Basically anyone can at that point. Theres no point to the BMF belt if it's just going to get rolled into a regular title defense. It's something we should see once a year on special occasions.
Fair enough.

Ffs Ortega got like two wins after he won Edgar in world war 2.
I dont care about diva bs but he talk like we dont understand shit about mma.

The guy is insufferable. He has to be the most entitled champion ever with zero defenses.
Champions should have to fight whoever they are told to, I blame coke head Conor for this BS.
Yeah, Conor is definitely to blame for Illia wanting an easy fight.

Would watch for sure. T City has proven his metal.

Dude is nails. TCity needs to put on a BJJ clinic to win this one and refrain from standup since he gets hit so much typically.
Mettle, and he hasn't proven shit except he doesn't fight and doesn't win when he fights the top.

Why are people bitching about this?
If max really wants to fight for the championship belt I don’t see what the problem is leveraging a silly promotional tool. If that’s what’s holding him back that’s silly.

But in reality it’s Topuria with the leverage here, everyone crying about how “that’s not BMF!” Has lost the plot and has fallen for the promotional bait.
I feel like the integral part that you're overlooking is that the person in this thread who cares the MOST about that little plastic belt is Topuria. And if that's what's holding him back, then I agree that it's silly.

Mettle, and he hasn't proven shit except he doesn't fight and doesn't win when he fights the top.

I feel like the integral part that you're overlooking is that the person in this thread who cares the MOST about that little plastic belt is Topuria. And if that's what's holding him back, then I agree that it's silly.
Skillwise probably but i doubt hes tougher than Ortega Ortegas biggest asset is his toughness

Sounds like he's trying to cherry pick an easy fight in Ortega. I already strongly dislike Topuria.

..What? You maybe wanna take another shot at that one?
Let's assume that Topuria does not fit into what is called a BMF fighter (he doesn't have a long career yet, so we can't say whether he is BMF or not, some people have already made premature conclusions and didn't wait for the events), if he has to meet Holloway, why are Holloway fans so angry when the BMF belt Did Topuria ask for more benefits? Moreover, UFC does not say anything about this, and what Topuria is talking about is completely legitimate. Did you hear now?! - That's why anyone in his place, who would potentially meet the "BMF" title holder in the next fight, would mention this belt, it's a common logic.
Cuz it doesn't actually give him more money? It's an accolade, but not one that really enhances the win you'd need to already get it.

No one is surprised by fighters trying to do what's best for them, but this is hardly even a calculable benefit, let a double one. Certainly not enough of a one to turn down the fight just cuz he doesn't get it
Because of this, I doubt Topuria refused to fight. He's just talking and discussing options, what's the problem with that. Looking for the best option for him, the final word will still be on Dana White, everyone knows that, but what problem do you see in a fighter looking for benefits.
Because Arman turned down Islam, as opposed to Ilia turning down Volk AND Max. The reason Dustin is getting a shot is purely because a date is being put together that the real contender wasn't prepared for. Ortega getting the shot when the top contender is good to go is not even close to the same thing. And I don't even get the second part of your point cuz it feels like a shot at Islam, but that was very clearly stated to be a reward for Volk, not Islam.
Friend, you are writing nonsense. Arman asked for more time to recover, Makhachev wanted earlier, and in the end he chose Poirier. And you compare Topuria and accuse him of absurd denial that he was offered Volk and refused? Why are you spreading fake information? He did not refuse either Volk or Max. He's just making egotistical statements, it's a normal game, and it oversells the fight. But, Topuria is definitely not giving up on all these fighters. Ortega's request from Topuria's "options" is not a bad decision, he himself analyzes that Max is next, it has already become clear that Max is better than Ortega, so Topuria - Ortega would be a great option for Topuria. Then he would get either Max or Volk. Makhachev defended his belt 2 times, both against the guy who came from below, and now that Tsarukyan could not agree to an early fight, he gave Poirier a chance, a completely uninteresting fight.
Yeah, I'm sure Ilia is better than Khabib. What was that you were saying before about "a little bit of bias for Holloway?"
The fact that Topuria gets 95% more negative comments and everyone thinks Holloway is the favorite is a "yes" bias. Topuria is 15-0, he has not beaten anyone in the fight yet, and when so many people write that Holloway will win outright, it is an American fairy tale. Have you seen Topuria's wrestling at all? It has been used only a few times, so I tell you this wrestling is on the level of "Khabib", if not more, and let's wait for the events, time will tell everything... I am not biased, I am writing a fact.

Max never said he wouldn't put the title on the line, only that this being the stipulation for Ilia to accept the fight wasn't BMF-esque.

Hopefully Ilia fights Volkanovski or Holloway rather than Ortega (LOL) and everyone involved gets paid handsomely. At the end of the day, win or lose, everyone is a prize fighter, and Topuria is a tough fight for anyone at 145.
Moments like these really help affirm that Max is one of my favorite all time fighters.

Let's assume that Topuria does not fit into what is called a BMF fighter (he doesn't have a long career yet, so we can't say whether he is BMF or not, some people have already made premature conclusions and didn't wait for the events), if he has to meet Holloway, why are Holloway fans so angry when the BMF belt Did Topuria ask for more benefits?
No, but you suggested that was a reason, so I called it out. No one is angry THAT he called for it, it's just that DEMANDING it and saying the fight won't happen without it is a bitch move. No one's saying that SHOULDN'T happen, just that they doubt it will but when it's a promotional tool that the UFC uses, then of course they don't want it to get attached to a real title, because that takes away the tool and is of less benefit to the UFC. And that makes it ultimately the UFC's choice, not Max's.

So, to recap: It IS a silly belt. If any of us seem like we're taking it seriously, it's only on response to the person who is seemingly taking it the MOST seriously, Ilia. He is making a demand for a fight that Max has little to no say for, and it's obvious who the biased people are around here because that's OBVIOUSLY an Ilia-UFC negotiation, but you still have some morons going "Why won't Max..."

Moreover, UFC does not say anything about this, and what Topuria is talking about is completely legitimate. Did you hear now?! - That's why anyone in his place, who would potentially meet the "BMF" title holder in the next fight, would mention this belt, it's a common logic.
Again, English just flew right out the window on this one. No idea what you're trying to say when you started this post by saying "let's assume Topuria does not fit BMF" and now say "what Ilia is talking about is completely legitimate." Did I hear now? Idk, did you speak yet?

Yes, the champion who may have to defend against a challenger with the BMF belt would probably mention it. But you'll notice the words I used are "have to defend against a challenger," because he is the champion, and that belt takes precedence, and shouldn't get to deny the fight, BMF or not, which is what he's suggesting.

Because of this, I doubt Topuria refused to fight. He's just talking and discussing options, what's the problem with that. Looking for the best option for him, the final word will still be on Dana White, everyone knows that, but what problem do you see in a fighter looking for benefits.
He hasn't refused yet. I doubt he would in the end. But there is talk that he has already refused one defense option, and he is fully talking about skipping Max which deserves criticism. AGAIN you say looking for benefits, when earlier you asked "did Ilia ask for more benefits?" Both of which after I explained that it really won't do anything much extra for him. He won't get double champ pay or anything. He won't be getting twice the fights and racking up twice the defenses.

Friend, you are writing nonsense. Arman asked for more time to recover, Makhachev wanted earlier, and in the end he chose Poirier. And you compare Topuria and accuse him of absurd denial that he was offered Volk and refused?
The guy who can't string 4 paragraphs together without making multiple contradictions and missing punctuation is saying I talk nonsense. Champ wants to fight, UFC puts a fight together. Arman wanted more time, Dustin didn't.

Ilia was reportedly offered Volk and said no. And YOU suggested it would be ok if Ilia picked Ortega even though Max is right here and ready.

You're right, those 2 situations can't be compared, cuz they're not the same. The first one is ok, the second one isn't.

Why are you spreading fake information? He did not refuse either Volk or Max. He's just making egotistical statements, it's a normal game, and it oversells the fight.
I didn't say he refused Max. YOU said he could, and fight someone other than Max or Volk so I told you why that's stupid. He is making egotistical statements and NOW you're saying we shouldn't expect them to be true, but you were greenlighting them in your previous post, so clearly you DO expect some truth from it.

But, Topuria is definitely not giving up on all these fighters. Ortega's request from Topuria's "options" is not a bad decision, he himself analyzes that Max is next, it has already become clear that Max is better than Ortega, so Topuria - Ortega would be a great option for Topuria.
Of course an easy defense would be better for Topuria. Hell, by that logic, Sodiq Yusuff would be an easy defense and great for Ilia. Do you really think fans should be like "Oh, the champ is just trying to get some easy title money, so we shouldn't criticize it." No, if course not, cuz that's fucking dumb.

Then he would get either Max or Volk. Makhachev defended his belt 2 times, both against the guy who came from below, and now that Tsarukyan could not agree to an early fight, he gave Poirier a chance, a completely uninteresting fight.
Again, already told you what happened, and your failure to absorb it is on you. Islam fishy defend against Volk because Islam was being protected. Whoever won Islam vs Charles was going to have to defend against Volk because Volk was being rewarded with a shot. And then Charles couldn't make the rematch, and it's pretty common affair for last minute fighters to be from the weight class below due to weight cuts, and Volk is the best fighter from below. Islam's title run can be criticized for not having LW defenses, but not for a lack of trying and not as some accusation that he's being protected or pick and choosy with his challengers, which is what you did, which is wrong.

The fact that Topuria gets 95% more negative comments and everyone thinks Holloway is the favorite is a "yes" bias.
The fact that Ilia gets negative comments is pretty telling because of how Ilia acts. Douchebags get called douchebags, who could have guessed.

Topuria is 15-0, he has not beaten anyone in the fight yet, and when so many people write that Holloway will win outright, it is an American fairy tale. Have you seen Topuria's wrestling at all?
Yes, a bit, and it's not Khabib's. That's 100 times the bigger fairy tale than Max winning

It has been used only a few times, so I tell you this wrestling is on the level of "Khabib", if not more, and let's wait for the events, time will tell everything... I am not biased, I am writing a fact.
I've pointed out several places where what you said comes from bullshit, so time has already told us where you're coming from

Ilia only wants Ortega because

- He wants an easier first title defence than Volk 2 or Max
- He wants on the Mexican Independence Day card and Ortega has Mexican background

Not because Ortega at all deserves a title shot. Going 1-1 with Yair across 2 years, while having been dominated by both Volk and Max, doesn't warrant you a title shot.

Pretty sad how nearly all the champions these days want to cherrypick their defences based on ease of the defence instead of the challenge of it. They want the number of defences beside their name, not the quality and challenge of them.

Which is rather hilarious when you realize how that's backfired over the years considering nobody's done more than 5 defences. Not to say 5 isn't impressive, but the GOATs who racked up 8+ were the guys nearly always just fighting the next challenger one after the other.

Ilia should actually stepped into the cage when Max was calling him out and tell him if he wants a shot at the belt then he should put the BMF on the line, would have been much better, the UFC & the fans would have loved that

But instead he looked like he was shook and didn't want anything to do with Max and now only weeks later he is talking shit on social media

Ilia should actually stepped into the cage when Max was calling him out and tell him if he wants a shot at the belt then he should put the BMF on the line, would have been much better, the UFC & the fans would have loved that

But instead he looked like he was shook and didn't want anything to do with Max and now only weeks later he is talking shit on social media

I feel like this would be good in theory, but in execution it'd be cringe with his deadpan and broken English.

Back