Igor Vovchanchyn vs Andrei Arlovski

Volkov unbeatable on Rebound Ace canvas.

alexander-volkov-ufc-fight-night-115-3.jpg

synpave1.jpg

So you are putting a glass chinned fighter up against a man that has heavy mace balls for hands, a guy that had a competitive fight with Ernesto Hoost the best HW k1 kickboxer of all time in a pure kickboxing bout, my question is, why do you hate poor Alovski? Whats he done to you?

Really though Hoost always looked comfortable in that fight blocking all Igor's punches pretty easily whilst lowkicking him until his leg fell off. Not that I'd pick ARlovski to beat Hoost either but I think he'd have more of a chance of landing something big for an upset were as Igor tended to push forward and throw those quite telegraphed hooks.

I tend to view Igor as more inline with someone like Wanderlei standing but without the threat of knees in the clinch.

Last edited:
Really though Hoost always looked comfortable in that fight blocking all Igor's punches pretty easily whilst lowkicking him until his leg fell off. Not that I'd pick ARlovski to beat Hoost either but I think he'd have more of a chance of landing something big for an upset were as Igor tended to push forward and throw those quite telegraphed hooks.

I tend to view Igor as more inline with someone like Wanderlei standing but without the threat of knees in the clinch.

hes a special kickboxer bro, highly skilled fast powerful, rangy, the best hw k1 guy ever, to do what he did to last that long, is extremely impressive , he took out many other elite k1 strikers alot faster

I know its hard to see virtue in a defeat it all gets swayed to the negative but theres loads here, same with mcgreggor

hes a special kickboxer bro, highly skilled fast powerful, rangy, the best hw k1 guy ever, to do what he did to last that long, is extremely impressive , he took out many other elite k1 strikers alot faster

I know its hard to see virtue in a defeat it all gets swayed to the negative but theres loads here, same with mcgreggor

The defeat really was how things were always likely to go though, I mean Hoost has power but he's not naturally that aggressive and was always likely to pick Igor off with lowkicks safely behind his gloves rather than looking for an early stoppage.

Dunno, seems like I'm just repeating what everyone had said, but I do think that Igor would be bad matchup for Arlovski....

A lot of more 'modern' HWs would have exploited Igor's limited grappling, size, and looping punches, but I think that Arlovski, with his straight line movement, limited orientation in exchanges, and generally glass cannon traits, would just get caught by some huge counter...

2utrtzn.gif

giphy.webp

Badly timed punch - counter - Ondriej goes down.

As in 2001 so in 2017

Last edited:
The defeat really was how things were always likely to go though, I mean Hoost has power but he's not naturally that aggressive and was always likely to pick Igor off with lowkicks safely behind his gloves rather than looking for an early stoppage.

Hes very technical hes not an idiot fighter that comes out bum rushing he sets you up counters asserts his range and he does all that with loads of speed and power, and many high level strikers* as in not mma strikers but kickboxers crumble in the 1st round vs hoost

Igor would be a top 10 HW today if that tells you anything about the state of the HW division. No way guys like Struve, Volkov, and Lewis take him out. He hit hard as fuck and outwrestled Prime roided out and abusing pain killers Mark Kerr.
Igor v Struve would be amazing

Hes very technical hes not an idiot fighter that comes out bum rushing he sets you up counters asserts his range and he does all that with loads of speed and power, and many high level strikers* as in not mma strikers but kickboxers crumble in the 1st round vs hoost

He certainly wasn't a Leben style brawler but then again neither was Wanderlei during his prime years, neither for me were right at the top for HW technical striking either though. I mean look at the legend of Igor and then consider that Tra jabbed him to a decision and it doesn't quite hold up for me even as someone who was a big fan at the time.

Arrlovski back at his peak of confidence was a very dangerous fighter indeed though, a very accurate and powerful puncher with significant reach and speed advantage whilst his chin was not nearly as bad as his rep makes it. Could he make a mistake and get KOed by Igor? yeah definitely but I suspect Igor goes down himself before that happens most of the time or if the fight is more tentative loses a decision.

Last edited:
Tyson was 5'11. Fedor is 5'11. Both are arguably the GOATs in their sports.
Please make the argument that Tyson is the GOAT. He's so far from being the GOAT its laughable. He'd be lucky to scrape into the underside of a top 15 HW list, let alone best of all time.

Igor had faster, cleaner hands and punched just as hard

Bad matchup for Andrei

Please make the argument that Tyson is the GOAT. He's so far from being the GOAT its laughable. He'd be lucky to scrape into the underside of a top 15 HW list, let alone best of all time.

Prime Tyson on his best night beats any other HW on their best night. > Ali. > Foreman. > Everyone.

His career? Sucked. Tyson though? The GOAT.

He certainly wasn't a Leben style brawler but then again neither was Wanderlei during his prime years, neither for me were right at the top for HW technical striking either though. I mean look at the legend of Igor and then consider that Tra jabbed him to a decision and it doesn't quite hold up for me even as someone who was a big fan at the time.

Arrlovski back at his peak of confidence was a very dangerous fighter indeed though, a very accurate and powerful puncher with significant reach and speed advantage whilst his chin was not nearly as bad as his rep makes it. Could he make a mistake and get KOed by Igor? yeah definitely but I suspect Igor goes down himself before that happens most of the time or if the fight is more tentative loses a decision.

Alovski did nothing hoost couldn't do on the feet and doesn't have the kicks that stopped Igor, he gets KOTFO save for a lucky punch yes very good hands but not as good as Hoosts or Igors

It would be alot like Fedor Alovski, Fedor being Igors closest match for who Alovski has faced, simlar striking style simlar punching style simlar power simlar height n reach disadvantages etc

Ummm... Do you know how to read? I never said he was a ground wizard. I said he had formal training in grappling. He was a sambo guy and had a very good kickboxing record.

You're saying he's so shitty he outstruck bigger and just as hard hitting guys like rampage and Overeem to the point they had to resort to grappling in order to win?

So shitty he literally stood and traded with Takeda a K1 kickboxer, and out skilled him on the feet without taking it to the ground?

So shitty he finished Gilbert Yvel faster than JDS did with a takedown and a choke?

He's not a Goat and no one is arguing for that. Truth is he fought much bigger guys who thought they would win on size alone, while being fat and undertrained, and he won the majority of the time.

He should have been a welterweight had he been in shape.

"He should have been a welterweight had he been in shape"

Hmmm... Did u see his legs?

At the end of his career, he tried his luck at Pride MW (=LHW)...

wiiiiw.gif

Alovski did nothing hoost couldn't do on the feet and doesn't have the kicks that stopped Igor, he gets KOTFO save for a lucky punch yes very good hands but not as good as Hoosts or Igors

It would be alot like Fedor Alovski, Fedor being Igors closest match for who Alovski has faced, simlar striking style simlar punching style simlar power simlar height n reach disadvantages etc

Hoost didn't have to go out looking to KO Igor of course as he could take him out with lowkicks at less risk but I would argue ARlovski was a more dangerous puncher than him at his peak if obviously not a better all around kickboxer.

Again if you look at results when Igor fought an opponent with good striking he almost always lost, Goodridge a couple of times were his best wins but he came off second best to Crocop, Tra and Herring. I mean the latter two are definitely underrated standing but if he was the wrecking machine he's talked up as then he wouldn't have lost fights that way.

A big issue of course is that Igor really was a tiny HW, by todays standard he would probably be a MW and that played a big factor in the loses above(well maybe not Crocop but reach was key for the other two).

Last edited:
Igor's hands were too fast and AA was always chinny. KO for Vov.

"He should have been a welterweight had he been in shape"

Hmmm... Did u see his legs?

At the end of his career, he tried his luck at Pride MW (=LHW)...

View attachment 284233

The guy literally fought at 170lbs at one point in his career. He was out of shape for the majority of his fights. At the very least, for the sake of the argument, he could have been fighting in middleweight. But instead we saw him go up against a bunch of guys in HW and LHW.

Hoost didn't have to go out looking to KO Igor of course as he could take him out with lowkicks at less risk but I would argue ARlovski was a more dangerous puncher than him at his peak if obviously not a better all around kickboxer.

Again if you look at results when Igor fought an opponent with good striking he almost always lost, Goodridge a couple of times were his best wins but he came off second best to Crocop, Tra and Herring. I mean the latter two are definitely underrated standing but if he was the wrecking machine he's talked up as then he wouldn't have lost fights that way.

A big issue of course is that Igor really was a tiny HW, by todays standard he would probably be a MW and that played a big factor in the loses above(well maybe not Crocop but reach was key for the other two).

Hoost doesn't come out like Leban vs anyone hes a professional hes technical, he uses counters, range, set ups etc so hes not aggressive vs all the other pro strikers he took out in the 1st round so your point is invalid.

He couldnt get Igor with his hands because Igor has good boxing defense, the low kicks eventually got to him because that was the only thing hoost could get to work not because he was taking it easy, you fool, he was tryng to KO him the who time every counter with the hands and feet full power trying to finish, which is the dutch way of doing it. He was also trying to survive the hands and pressure.

He just always found an opportunity to land a low kick due to Igors lack of low kick defense and Hoosts excellent low kick offense, MMA prioritises good hands and doesn't prioritize good low kick defense due to take downs and small glove hand counters, so Hoost could only exploit a hole that isnt so important in real fighting or MMA fighting

Alovski doenst have better hands than Hoost, are you crazy? He perhaps has a better right hand marginally maybe but doubtful, but his left sucks hoost has excellent hands all around left right, jab, body shots combos etc he has much better more dangerous hands

Last point if it were straight up boxing vs hoost or alovski Igor would have won, you can clearly see more strikes landed and less taken in the hands department vs hoost

Anyway you wont listen to reason so I give up

Last edited:
Back