If you knew then what you know now

I wouldn't have let my friends sucker me into a drunken grappling match thus never blowing out my knee and most likely being a BB by now.

Dems the breaks, tho.

yea the drunken grappling matches don't usually end well, last one I did with my friend I accidentaly swept him into into bar stool and broke it. also my knees were so sore the next few days from the hardwood floor lolz

yea the drunken grappling matches don't usually end well, last one I did with my friend I accidentaly swept him into into bar stool and broke it. also my knees were so sore the next few days from the hardwood floor lolz
Ended up taking almost 3 years off and getting fat haha.

Didn't even realize it until I got out of bed the next day and collapsed as soon as i put weight on it.

I made it back around Nov/Dec of 2013, though.

outside of not joining earlier. nothing. i would just be way better at BJJ if i knew then what i know now.

i would be more careful when training with whitebelts. all my injuries were from spaz whitebelts

Don't eat that kimura. Do more wrestling. Maybe some more judo.

Drillers make killers. I should've just drilled and drilled and drilled.

Don't take it, and myself so seriously. I was never talented enough to make inroads on the circuit, let alone be a world champion so there was no point beating myself up about it. I should've just turned up, enjoyed myself on the mats and tried to be better today than I was yesterday.

Be more open minded when I rolled. For the longest time (white through to say, mid blue) I rolled way too conservative. Just stuck very much with what I knew and as such, I never evolved for years. These days, I try (within reason) everything and anything. Keeps things fresh and interesting.

Don't roll with guys that are just way too big. I totally bought into the hype that a little guy can beat a big guy. Yeah it's true... when the big guy doesn't know anything. But if they know something, it's gonna me a long round. Winning battles, losing wars type thing. And you can't come back the next day.

Oh and I guess if I'm being perfectly honest, my instructor was a complete douche. I knew it and most people knew it but it took us way too long to do something about it. It led to us at that time being very closed minded and we burned a lot of relationships with good people who we could train with.

Rolled less with guys who outweighed me by at least 25lbs+.

So what if you can survive or win, I've gotten more injuries and conditions because of rolling with big guys than any other cause. In my case, I didn't have much choice, most guys happened to be big. At the end, I didn't get a medal for it or money, just injuries.

Now I just don't spar with big guys, I say no or sit it out. Being injured is my biggest fear because it ruins not only jiu-jitsu but everything else.

This is easy. Back when I started there was a lot of low percentage bjj being taught. Heck, that's still alot f low percentage bjj being taught.

I'd take my knowledge of mendesbros.com with me and just drill the material I learned there. To me, it's the most efficient way to get good, learning three fewest movloves you need too to work in every situation.

That was always the dream, wasn't it? 'I wish I'd known then what I know now'? But when you got older you found out that you NOW wasn't YOU then. You then was a twerp. You then was what you had to be to start out on the rocky road of becoming you now, and one of the rocky patches on that road was being a twerp.
What a great quote, very true also.

It would be awesome to start again with the knowledge we have not, but it's impossible, because it took all those years of trial and error to acquire that knowledge and get wiser.

What a great quote, very true also.

It would be awesome to start again with the knowledge we have not, but it's impossible, because it took all those years of trial and error to acquire that knowledge and get wiser.
it's by terry pratchett, by far my favorite writer. if you haven't read anything from him yet, i strongly advise you to. all of his work is lighthearted, laugh out loud funny, and full of sharp quotes like the one in my original post.

For my 8 yr old self: Don't slouch. Mind your posture. Your lower back will thank your 30 yr old self.

If you could start training all over again what would you do differently? What would you tell new people just coming into the sport to do versus what you may have done?

Buy Defense Soap or use anti-bacterial soap right after training. Don't take staph or MRSA lightly.

Soap and good hygiene cost much less than surgery.

This is easy. Back when I started there was a lot of low percentage bjj being taught. Heck, that's still alot f low percentage bjj being taught.

I'd take my knowledge of mendesbros.com with me and just drill the material I learned there. To me, it's the most efficient way to get good, learning three fewest movloves you need too to work in every situation.

'Low % BJJ' is a great way to think about it. There is a lot of that being taught, I certainly spent a fair amount of time on it.

I wouldn't have let my friends sucker me into a drunken grappling match thus never blowing out my knee and most likely being a BB by now.

Dems the breaks, tho.
I know, the first time I got hurt it was drunk wrestling with a friend that I literally could just toy with. Have no idea how I got hurt, but I fucked my shoulder up pretty bad. It didn't hurt until the next day. That was 15 years ago. Same shoulder just got reinjured. ugh.

I wouldn't have taken that bonus friendly match at the tournement that led to ankle destruction and a 2 year layoff from judo.

I would say it takes courage to step onto that mat the first time. everyone starts at the bottom and works there way up don't be scared. Just do it!!

And don't ever get married bitchez be crazy.

The thing I would do differently is not starting at all.

I would have gone to college closer to NYC or NJ, or any place I can get training.

If you could start training all over again what would you do differently?

Honestly, nothing. All the good and bad experiences I've had have been beneficial to me in some way. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't be the person (and practitioner) I am today.

Back