If you could offer ONE piece of advice for BJJ....

Master mount, side mount and half guard escapes as early as possible so you aren't afraid to go for submissions. Building up those defensive techniques will let you be more aggressive, which will let you get better faster.

Just keep showing up. The rest will fall into place over time.

Going more frequently doesn't necessarily make you get better faster.

I went twice a day for a while, but didn't see twice as much progress. Definitely felt twice as sore though.

bang all the BJJ chickas

...then leave your gym when drama arises

learning proper posture for every position is more valuable than a random set of techniques for every position that you will never get close to hitting without proper posture.

I always pass on the same advice I got from Miguel Torres “keep calm and don’t panic” just breathe and remember your techniques and game. Spazzing is the leading cause of injury.

I always pass on the same advice I got from Miguel Torres “keep calm and don’t panic” just breathe and remember your techniques and game. Spazzing is the leading cause of injury.
For both parties. A spazz that I rolled with a month ago was on bottom, and I was standing and trying to pass, then the fucker upkicked me.

Nothing more scary than 2 whitebelts that found a calling in life from heelhook videos on YouTube. Guy gets the position, other dude spazzes while reaped, and holy shit...

Last edited:
have good health insurance ready

Back