If you could offer ONE piece of advice for BJJ....

Yeah. I'm year and a half in and I've always showed up to minimum 4 days a week, but mostly 5 or even 6 days. I don't roll too much at end of each class (maybe 2 or 3 rolls) to avoid injury and fatigue.

Debating whether to cut down to 4 days a week and spar more at end of class or keep the 5-6 day schedule

How long are the classes and what do they consists off?

2-3 rolls seems to be low in numbers.

Do not participate in BJJ politics and avoid cult mentality.

Make specific goals for your game and write it down.

And, more importantly, tell your training partners everything you're going for so that they can properly counter you which forces you to open up your game.

Don't get caught up learning too many different techniques, learn the concepts behind it so that you can apply it to everything else.

One thing I got from visiting Ryan Hall's academy as a blue belt was to try to do every single roll unless injured and not to sit out rounds. I had to adjust my gas tank and my average pace to do it. But as a 'serious hobbyist' I think that's some of the best advice I've received.

I'm not super young anymore and I will occasionally sit out a roll if there are odd numbers or if I'm hurt. But trying to have a game and a pace where I can still perform well without having to sit out rounds has been very good for my jiu-jitsu.

... what would it be ?

If you only had to choose one thing to say to someone that helped you a lot when you discovered it, what would it be ?

U5ViXWC.png

Well classes are 1 hour except two days where they are a bit longer.

Class consists of 2-3 techniques that we then drill with a partner. At the last 10 or 15 minutes of class , instructor pairs us up for rolling /sparring. Each roll is 5 or 6 minutes timed.

We have option to stay longer and roll.

I want to try and roll at least 4 times, but I am a bit older too

I have a buddy that does that. I don't know how you can put each step of a technique into words. Wish I can take a pic for every step!
It's changed a lot over the years i've been doing it. My first year or so was all 'left hand here, right hand here'sort of stuff but as we know you can't think in those terms in BJJ. Now it's 'high hand, low hand'.
But it's more a reminder for me, cue's to remember moves. If someone else read my notes they wouldn't be able to do it properly.

Keep showing up. Perseverance will get you through the tough times.
Have fun. Find a way to stay motivated. Your goals will change. Don’t hang on to one idea forever. Change and flow with the changes in your life.
We do “real shit.” Have pity on those who live in ignorance.

Edit...Sorry, gave more than one. Oops.

Last edited:
Someone made a similar thread years ago and one quote that stick with me was from some poster's instructor. "Don't move me, move YOU."
Ricksons quote flow with the go also makes a lot of sense and distills many concepts as you progress.
Also @Knock Out Ned had a blog post that was really good. His instructor told him in jiu-jitsu you are trying to be a ball, and trying to break down the ball that your opponent is trying to be. To paraphrase, anyway. Makes a lot of sense.
And one thing I've learned. When in a bad position-- MOVE! Make something happen. Create a scramble. Technique is fine, but sometimes you just have to throw some force into it to create space for something to happen.

Don't compare yourself to others.

Be yourself and enjoy the journey and don't stress about the goal.

I have been teaching for 6 years.

I learned that people learns a different way and different pace.

Just hang out with the positive people in your club and be Happy. Spread that love and you ride the fun.

Training is training, not competition - it's there for you to practice what you learn and refine your techniques, the "result" of roll (i.e. who "wins") is far less important than what you learn and get from it.

Yeah. I'm year and a half in and I've always showed up to minimum 4 days a week, but mostly 5 or even 6 days. I don't roll too much at end of each class (maybe 2 or 3 rolls) to avoid injury and fatigue.

Debating whether to cut down to 4 days a week and spar more at end of class or keep the 5-6 day schedule

I’d say cut down to 4 days a week but train longer and more intense on those days. Your joints will have more stress on them by training harder, but you’ll have additional recovery time by training less times per week. I only train BJJ 3x a week, but roll hard.

I’d say cut down to 4 days a week but train longer and more intense on those days. Your joints will have more stress on them by training harder, but you’ll have additional recovery time by training less times per week. I only train BJJ 3x a week, but roll hard.

Well we have a Saturday class which is about 45 minute of straight rolling. No technique drills or anything.

I'm thinking of always going to that plus Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Take Wednesday off middle of the week to give my body a rest in the middle.

Friday is important to me because it's literally the ONLY no gi class. Wish we had more but we don't.

Back