If you bash fighters for tapping to strikes I

This would be unnecessary if refs did their jobs consistently, but they don't so I'm really not bothered.

He didn't tap and it did wonders for his subsequent performances, ensuring he'll indeed be remembered as a true great.

True great, the only man to beat A. Silva twice. That's what those are made of.

My comment wasn't a putdown of Weidman, who I agree was truly notable at his best. Rather, I was focusing on what I take to be the thread's topic, the wisdom of tapping to strikes.

Does anybody else think that when a fighter taps to strikes, the ref did a poor job?

Why is it cool to save your bones from breaking but it's not okay to save your brain from trauma.. not to mention the future implications on your ability to take damage etc.. just silly.

If the fighter thinks there is no way out and the only road leads to brain damage then tap away screw the bad PR for some of this 'fans', it will be better in the long run for yourself.

It's not so simple. Tapping out is the resource to get out of unavoidable damage. The person doesn't "think" to tap out, it's a desperate decision. What a fighter might know, is that a leg lock that can bust the knee and screw him for over 9 months and make his career difficult is a no brainer. The effects of brain damage are not immediate, and most fighters take them a bit too lightly. Then again, boxing ends up being a much worse sport, because they punch harder, and that's all they do.

It should be on the referees to stop fighters a bit earlier, but people would complain, they want to see people being battered: so maybe, tapping to strikes is a good alternative to bad refereeing to avoid anomalies.

The problem is: you learn to tap to submissions in your first day in a grappling gym. You never learn to tap to strikes AND you might not be 100% aware of what is going on to even make the decision.

It's not trivial.

Completely agree, I also think a fighters corner should throw the towel in more often. The refs can let unnecessary punishment go on for too long in many cases.

Last edited:
Nah, beating Anderson on the downside of his career is pretty much all Chris will ever be remembered for.

GSP on the other hand was smart enough to tap to Matt Serra and come back with a GOAT win streak.

<Y2JSmirk>

Oh, but but but a bunch of sherdoggers called him a pussy.

<GSPWoah>

Last edited:
Back