If Pereira become 3 divisions champ

I think max Holloway and Charles Oliveira holds most of UFC records.
Tim Elliot and Jim Miller have a lot of records too.
those things absolutely makes them notable fighters, but don't put'em in GOAT conversations.

Alex Pereira achieving champion in 3 divisions is unprecedented in UFC and is a historic feat, specially being in the 3 heaviest divisions ( MW to LHW have 20 lbs gap, and LHW to HW is like 40 lbs[250 lbs is the limit, but almost anyone reaches the limit])

I think it make him a legend, grant him a place in the HoF, and make him definitely unbeatable in accolades discussions.
But definitely not in GOAT conversations
All of the true GOAT contenders (which doesn't include Khabib) have a double-digit (or close) number of title defenses. Quickly jumping around 3 weight classes, especially during a very weak period for LHW/HW, doesn't make one a GOAT. Imagine Poatan trying that when LHW had Jones/Cormier/Rumble and HW had prime Stipe/Ngannou or maybe even Cain/JDS/Overeem/etc. a few years earlier.

is he the UFC GOAT or at least in the debate?
I'd think no.
Because he would do something that wasn't much on the table before Connor. If I may remind you that a year prior, Aldo wanted to fight the LW Champ in Pettis, and Dana demanded he relinquish his FW belt in order to move up.

So I'd say if he got AND defended them; then it would be a different conversation!

Fast tracked or not, you wouldn’t be able to argue against the results.
Yes you would. Who's the best wrestler Poatan has fought? Jan? Jones and GSP both beat like 6 or so D1 guys, plus Cormier in Jones' case. Poatan has beaten some good strikers (including going 1-1 with Izzy), but his overall competition level hasn't been GOAT-level at all yet.

I agree but beating 3 different champions is not easy. That’s 3 fighters that should be at the top of any resume

Yes but match-ups and timing matter. If Conor went to 170 and beat Leon, would you say he's the GOAT?

Of course not. Not even top 5.

Yes but match-ups and timing matter. If Conor went to 170 and beat Leon, would you say he's the GOAT?
I would put him on the list for sure. The GOAT shouldn’t just be about title defenses

It's too subjective. My GOATs are Aldo, GSP, and Anderson. Each of their respective primes can be picked apart and broken down to the point that it seems unimpressive. So, I find the term GOAT to be a little too masturbatory. It's mostly a way for us to feel better about supporting someone else's accomplishments that we had nothing to do with.

GOAT and P4P are both very handy subjects lmao!

<RomeroSalute>

I would put him on the list for sure. The GOAT shouldn’t just be about title defenses

I think fighting and winning at the highest level for a long period of time without losing is the definition of GOAT. Anyone can have a few good fights.

I think fighting and winning at the highest level for a long period of time without losing is the definition of GOAT. Anyone can have a few good fights.
I think it’s about who you beat. The competition matters most

Hard to say. Just because he's a freak of nature in how easily he can lose or add weight to that massive frame he has. Not taking away from anything he's done at all.
Yeah, and making GOAT about the number of weight classes you hold belts in has a certain bias. If a HW the size of Aspinall or Lesnar dominated their division and made a case for being GOAT, there's no way they could cut to 205 let alone 185. It's also hard to imagine someone winning the Flyweight, BW and Featherweight belts. Cejudo won belts in lightest 2 divisions, but Mighty Mouse lost to a prime Dominic Cruz before moving down to then new Flyweight division where he dominated for years. I can't imagine him moving up to Featherweight and taking Aldo's belt back then, though.

Love Pereira but he got too fast-tracked to be in the convo.
His frame like Jones' really aren't built for heavyweight, no amount of heavy bulking will change that. Pereira's grappling also far from perfect, his TDD is a lot better and improving every fight though. But I don't fancy him getting grappled by or defend TD against true heavies like Pavlovich, Aspinall, Spivak, Blaydes, etc...

Would be a complete ragdoll if he has to defend against the likes of Ngannou, Lesnar, Ubereem until these 270-290 lbers gassed out.

Reactions: mkt
No. It would be cool, but no.

You can’t be the GOAT without MANY defences. And he doesn’t have any defences yet. He’s not even in any divisional GOAT conversation, imo.
2 division champ with zero defences, even got knocked out cold in his first title defence. Whoever thinks Alex is the goat doesn’t know shit.

Y'all better come back here and bow down to Conor The Goatgregor once he becomes 3 divisional champ. Keep the same energy.

I think it’s about who you beat. The competition matters most
Yes but consistently. Like I said, any of these guys can have a few good nights. I don’t think if he beats Aspinall he’s a GOAT candidate because also Aspinall doesn’t have the resume yet. Jones different story for sure

He beat Aspinall he would be in the elite tier with Aldo , GSP, Anderson. But he still wouldn't match Bones imo

If he could defend belts like gsp or jon for 10 plus years he could be in the debate

GOAT combat sports athlete? Yes. GOAT mixed martial artist? No

Back