If Jon Jones moves to HW and win the title, would he become automatically theGOAT without any doubt?

And there you have it..."may already be the best ever". No way of knowing until he starts actually fighting in the big boy division. People calling Jones the GOAT, without Jon having ever won a fight at hw, defies common sense. If you want to argue that Jon is some sort of p4p king, despite being a hw who's dominated (mostly) men he's dwarfed at lhw, then ok. It's highly subjective. But to extrapolate that because of his success at lhw, he would neccessarily dominate hw as well, is silly and nonsensical.
Yeah you are right, how would he ever compete with those 45 year old killers at HW, the talent in that division is so stacked that is why Jones doesn't want to move up

It'd be hard to deny it regarding what he has accomplished.
He could be dethroned later though, because there is a certain champion in the UFC that plans to take two belts before anyone else.
The only reason Jones would be GOATier than McGregor (should both win two titles) would be that he had more fights in the UFC.

Jones is already the GOAT and that is not even in question. Becoming the HW champ will only add further to his already GOAT status.

And there you have it..."may already be the best ever". No way of knowing until he starts actually fighting in the big boy division. People calling Jones the GOAT, without Jon having ever won a fight at hw, defies common sense. If you want to argue that Jon is some sort of p4p king, despite being a hw who's dominated (mostly) men he's dwarfed at lhw, then ok. It's highly subjective. But to extrapolate that because of his success at lhw, he would neccessarily dominate hw as well, is silly and nonsensical.

So true, Jones is exempt from the title of greatest ever until he moves up in weight. Sound logic from gspieler.

He isn't going to do sh*t at heavyweight. Can you see him trying to fight a guy like Rothwell ? Someone like that would walk through his punches and just throw him out of the octagon. lolol. When he fought Rampage I though Page should have taken care of him. But Page was too hesitant. Only had to worry about those sidekicks to the knee and only way he could rock Page or any heavyweight is with a shin to the head.

Yeah you are right, how would he ever compete with those 45 year old killers at HW, the talent in that division is so stacked that is why Jones doesn't want to move up
You're contradicting yourself. If Jones ruling over hw is such a lock, why does he bother to even cut? The answer is simple; because size is an asset. Jones/Jackson are probably just waiting until the waters are extremely warm at hw(if he ever does fight there), i.e. when the entire division old, broken-down, punch-drunk versions of their former selves.

I would say no.

I would also say no to Jones being LHW GOAT.

Everyone calls certain fighters GOAT while in the peak of their career.

You have to wait until the twilight of their career, or even better, after it is over until they are ranked in the annals.

Fedor is a natural LHW with a 10 year win streak at HW, with some elite and some not so elite. Jones is a HW with a shorter streak at LHW, against a lot of guys that could be fighting at 185. If he can beat Overeem, Miocic and Werdum, to go with Cormier then he's there.
Frankie Edgar dominating the best LW of all time whilst being no bigger than the average BW are the mega impressive feats for me, not Jones beating Rashad who looked like he was pushing 2 weight classes smaller

I would say no.

I would also say no to Jones being LHW GOAT.

Everyone calls certain fighters GOAT while in the peak of their career.

You have to wait until the twilight of their career, or even better, after it is over until they are ranked in the annals.

s300_Foresight-fade.jpg

He already is the GOAT. He's p4p more skilled than McGregor.

You could argue that Jon Jones is already the greatest of all time.

- Youngest champion in UFC history.
- Won the title his first time out.
- Took over what was universally considered the best division in MMA. The LHW division, where no fighter could reign.
- Beats fighters at their own game.
- Has a resume with more Legends, Champion, and future hall of famers than anyone in the GOAT argument. (Fedor, Anderson and GSP)

Winning the HW belt would make Jon the undisputed GOAT, he would end the debate.

So true, Jones is exempt from the title of greatest ever until he moves up in weight. Sound logic from gspieler.
In absolute terms? Yes. That is valid logic. The best ever = the best hw ever. Jones has never fought at hw.

In terms relative to size/p4p? Probably. Men Jones' size have already dominated hw, eg Fedor, Cain, Cro Cop, etc. Meanwhile Jones has looked invincible beating up much smaller men. And all other factors being equal, beating great hw's > beating great lhw's/mw's.

and that's why he cuts weight, because he'd rather fight the killers at LHW than take the easy fights at HW and not destroy his kidneys

If you want to argue that Jon is some sort of p4p king, despite being a hw who's dominated (mostly) men he's dwarfed at lhw, then ok.
That's weird, I seem to remember Jones hitting the LHW limit every time he's fought. Did I forget something?

You could argue that Jon Jones is already the greatest of all time.

- Youngest champion in UFC history.
- Won the title his first time out.
- Took over what was universally considered the best division in MMA. The LHW division, where no fighter could reign.
- Beats fighters at their own game.
- Has a resume with more Legends, Champion, and future hall of famers than anyone in the GOAT argument. (Fedor, Anderson and GSP)

Winning the HW belt would make Jon the undisputed GOAT, he would end the debate.

3021307-inline-fb-thumbsup-printpackaging.jpg

and that's why he cuts weight, because he'd rather fight the killers at LHW than take the easy fights at HW and not destroy his kidneys
Lol, this. Jones cuts because the level of competition is just too easy for him at hw.

After Cormier you can't really deny that he's among the best ever. He doesn't need to move up and get another belt to be the best, Georges didn't and Anderson fought stylistic matches at LHW en route to testing positive and DQing himself from the discussion.

That's weird, I seem to remember Jones hitting the LHW limit every time he's fought. Did I forget something?
Yeah, the part where he's dwarfed most his opponents, eg Shogun, Rashad, Machida, Belfort, Chael, etc, inside the cage.

Back