If GSP demanded to fight Askren do you think the UFC would do it?

If GSP demanded Askren would the UFC make the fight happen?

• Total voters
Agreed its not likely GSP would want it. I could see him trying to avoid Whittaker. Maybe want to avoid Woodley too.

Problem is Diaz and McGregor are fights he would want before hand that he wouldn't try to avoid and make him more money so long as the ufc can reach a money deal with either of them.

More curious on seeing how much poll people think GSP has in terms of naming an opponent and if he could even name one the UFC would prefer not to sign.
pretty sure UFC would do it for GSP

also, Askren is ending his career and negotiations would be much more soft than in the past:
only one fight, and that fight would draw so money would be not a problem and they could pay him what he deserves

let alone if askren beats GSP and calls woodly (unfortunately they are friends and that won´t happen)

but again, it´s a risky fight for GSP

beating MW cans is much more profitable

GSP can get whatever he wants. They will do everything to keep him fighting. He demanded Bisping In a titlefight for his comeback, And the UFC refused to match Bisping up with anyone until GSP was ready, in case he would lose And spoil GSPs comeback.

Mw is very weak at the moment, And medio WWs take advantage of it, so I think GSP will rather stay there.

Curious to see how much power people think the handful of stars have in this sport. Can GSP essentially get any opponent he wishes for his next fight because they fear retirement again? I'd say yes.

Georges wants nothing to do with Askren.

This fight will never happen.

The UFC would make it happen if they believed that there was money in it.....they would likely have GSP vacate the title....but i dont think anyone actually wants to see this fight.....

Yes.. But Ben would be fighting in Montreal and making 1/3 what GSP makes..

The UFC would not let it happen because there is no upside:

If GSP wins, great, their marketable champ beat somebody nobody has ever heard of, big freakin' deal!

And if GSP loses they've got a boring WW on their books who has sworn never to fight their boring WW champ. So now what?

Put down the bottle or learn how to read. Now fuck off Toranaga

Edit: to help you out the question is could GSP make it happen not would GSP want to make it happen
The answer is an obvious No. The fight would generate no interest and even less money. GSP in a lay n pray fest against a no name ... I skipped over you're stupid ass question because it has no basis in reality. Great thread. People like you perpetuate this fucking circus. CHAMPS NEED TO FIGHT THE INTERIM CHAMPS. NOT BEN FUCKING ASKREN. MORON.

Why would he want to fight Askren. No casual fan has a clue who he is and he brings nothing to the table.

No.

Because...

<31>

I voted Yes. Money dictates the rules in the current regime. They could also do the fight in Singapore and make tons of money.

Last edited:
The poll doesn't have a - No, none of the million people who buy GSP fights knows who Askren is and making the fight would be a great way to make sure a million people don't buy the next GSP fight.

Nope.

Most fans haven't seen an Askren fight.
To bring in some wrestler from outside the UFC to have GSP fight him wouldn't give much hype, compared to every other possible fight GSP has.
Also less sportsmanship than fighting the interim champ.

What's funny is that's probably the only MW that GSP would fight, besides Bisping

Dana doesn't want Askren. GSP probably wouldn't want Askren if offered that fight vs. other options. Askren is not an exciting fighter or super highly ranked, but he is always a threat to beat the best with his elite wrestling skills. This fight never happens. The UFC is a business. The UFC wants only big money fights for GSP since he only has a few fights left before he goes away again.

Their wrestling would neutralize each other. Which means it will come down to striking, and GSP will have to face the formidable muay thai of Kru Askren.

Nope.

Most fans haven't seen an Askren fight.
To bring in some wrestler from outside the UFC to have GSP fight him wouldn't give much hype, compared to every other possible fight GSP has.
Also less sportsmanship than fighting the interim champ.

It seems you (and many people) are addressing if it makes sense for GSP to ask for the fight. To which most agree the fight doesn't make a lot of sense for GSP to demand.

The thread subject was intended to be more about if GSP tells Dana and crew "Give me Askren or i'm going back into retirement" do they grant his wish. Can't imagine they wouldn't fold into any demand GSP wants especially given how few stars our out there currently

GSP would never ask for a dangerous opponent with poor name recognition.

He would sooner blow a mil on lottery tickets.

Hypothetically, I don’t think Dana would cave.

The thread subject was intended to be more about if GSP tells Dana and crew "Give me Askren or i'm going back into retirement" do they grant his wish
Oh.
Well, based on what Dana has said about GSP in recent years I don't actually think they are that desperate to suck up to him as we might think.

But yeah, maybe the situation is changed now that GSP is the only star available at the moment.

It all depends on Askren's demands. If they were high I think the UFC would fight it til the bitter end, trying all their tricks to get GSP to fight someone else, and even waiting til he had one foot out the door - to see if he was just bluffing about retiring. And by that point it might be too late.

UFC doesn't just seem to be on bad terms with Askren, they also seem to think he's boring.
So they don't wanna risk having him as the champ.
And doing a 1 fight deal doesn't seem like the UFC's style unless it's a star like Brock.

* This is all very hypothetical. I don't think GSP is obsessed with facing Askren. And I don't think he's the type of guy who'd be hell bent on getting the UFC to sign anyone.

Last edited:
Back