If Cormier wasn't really a champion, were Barao, Dillashaw, or is Holloway?

I've never seen there only be an interim champion. When Barnett got stripped of the Heavyweight Title after beating Randy and then Ricco beat Randy, he wasn't interim champion.

When Tito lost to Frank Shamrock for the Light Heavyweight Title and Frank retired, when Tito beat Wand, he wasn't an interim champion.

When BJ Penn beat Matt Hughes and then left the UFC, after Hughes beat GSP, he wasn't an interim champion. They were all considered the actual champion.

Seriously, it's cool to admit you're new to this.

Interim implies temporary or controversy. In all instances that the UFC has had an interim champion, there was another actual champion. Barao and Cruz, Carwin and Lesnar, Condit and GSP, etc.

This is different. Jones was stripped of the title. There was no other LHW Champ. Cormier beat Rumble, who Jones never faced, for the title. He then beat Gustafsson, who was Jones's toughest opponent, then he beat Rumble again after he earned a rematch by smashing Bader and Glover. How is that different than Barao? He never beat Cruz. He lost to a guy on two occasions who Cruz went on to beat.
You've NEVER seen there be only an interim champion?? Have you not been watching the FW and BW divisions in the last couple years?

I guess you haven't been watching that long...

When a champ retires with the belt, their belt is put on the line with the top contenders fighting for it. That makes sense to you, I hope, lol. You'll have to remind me when Jones retired...

The UFC has belts, and they're recognized as the best fighters for that weight class in the world (if you disagree, that's a whole nother topic). When BJ left and decided not to defend his WW title, that meant the next best WW's in the world would fight for it. Makes sense, right??

But Penn was NOT considered the WW champ after he decided not to defend the title. Obviously.

Your first example of Barnett winning the title is hilarious, considering he tested positive for roids and was stripped of the title. OF FUCKING COURSE that meant he loses the belt and the contenders fight for it. No interim title necessary, lol.

Frank had the belt, then he retired. What, should there never be a LHW belt again? Lol, stop being retarded dude.

When BJ beat Hughes, HE LEFT THE UFC. For fucks sake dude, you said it yourself!! Should they have acted like there was no WW title?? Lmao, your logic is off the fucking charts here genius...

Jones was stripped of the title, until he could come back. DC won the fight they set up against the top contenders, and they gave him a belt for it.

He's literally the best example of an interim champ you can come up with.

The second best fighter in a weight class holding a top spot while the real champ isn't able to fight.

I know you hate Jones, but that doesn't change reality.

Last edited:
Losing to Jones.

What happened as soon as Jones came back?

DC lost to Jones.

So....who was the real champ the whole time??
The real champ was the one defending the belt, dingus.

If you don't defend the belt, you aren't the champ.

The real champ was the one defending the belt, dingus.

If you don't defend the belt, you aren't the champ.
So...what exactly are you disagreeing with me with...dingus?

Jones never lost the belt...

And he defended it against DC, and then beat him again as soon as he was allowed to fight.

Did Jones not defend the belt enough for you? Including when he beat DC in two of his defenses?

DC was a pretty good interim champ tho, sure.

DC was champ, but he was never "The Man." To be "The Man" you gotta beat "The Man." - Kenny Florian

You can't stop playing the game (for whatever reason) and still be the champion, especially so if they win the belt and dip out of the scene immediately.

You have to be still playing the game to remain the best.

Lol at your av. I don't know, I said maybe. The rest have beaten everyone but the real champ. Barao lost a lot.

Barao was on a 31 fight win streak when he lost the belt????????

I'm a traditionalist. Interim champions who don't fight the undisputed champion are almost always less meaningful to me. Barão is no exception, even though he defended his belt against very strong competition.

Holloway and Cormier are even less meaningful champions IMO. Because they lost to the true champions before they got their interim belts. Simple as that.

Excellent fighters? No doubt, that's not in question. Lesser champions? Most definitively.

The show must go on. If you don't/can't defend your belt, it gets taken away. No matter the circumstance, whoever wins that belt afterwards is the champ.

You are not really a champion until you defend the title. DC, Barao and TJ all defended. The question is whether McGregor is a real champion?

Barao was on a 31 fight win streak when he lost the belt????????
Yes, but he lost to TJ who was still seen as a "paper champ" because he never beat the champ. He lost a lot of fights after also.

Yes, but he lost to TJ who was still seen as a "paper champ" because he never beat the champ. He lost a lot of fights after also.

So you question it with hindsight?

So you question it with hindsight?
Yeah I'm just saying I don't know, maybe Barao wasn't a real champion but the rest were. They just couldn't beat the best guy in the division.

Jones never lost the belt...

And he defended it against DC, and then beat him again as soon as he was allowed to fight.

Did Jones not defend the belt enough for you? Including when he beat DC in two of his defenses?

DC was a pretty good interim champ tho, sure.
No, he didn't. If he didn't defend the title for years, he wasn't the champion. You don't get to be the champion without defending the belt.
Especially since it would've been against Rumble and Gus.

TJ beats Cruz 5 out of 10 times.
DC beats Jones 0 out of 10 times. That's the difference why people don't question TJs reign as much as DCs.

Holloway is given a pass since Conor might not be able to make weight any more, he's legit 155er now.

You forgot to mention, GSP can be aged 80 and claim he's still the WW champ because he never lost it. He can tell Woodley he's a paper champ. Such is the logic on Sherdog.

Golden rule: When the true champion doesn't fight in over a year the new champ becomes a real champ.

If you win a belt, excluding interim, you're the fucking champion. I don't care if the previous champion never lost a fight and got stripped because he liked to watch Dana shave his balls through the bathroom window. Aldo was the rightful champion after Conor vacated featherweight with no intention to ever go back. Bisping is the rightful champion whether he ever fights Whittaker or not. Cormier was the rightful champion while Jones was out kicking puppies or molesting nuns or whatever the fuck he was doing.

Back