If BJJ is to evolve into a complete grappling martial art, it needs to combine with wrestling and...

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
As many MMA fans have seen and pointed out in the recent years, fighters with a BJJ base have a difficult time reaching championship level and often fall short.

One of the main alleged reasons for this is BJJ's lack of effective techniques to get the fight to the ground where BJJ is king. Because BJJ was built from Japanese Jujutsu and Judo, it relied on takedown techniques from these disciplines. However, takedown techniques from Judo and Jujutsu are not adequate as compared to the techniques in wrestling.

p5nax86wejb11.gif
2ix9x8.gif

Therefore, some efforts have been made by BJJ trainers to incorporate wrestling into their arsenal to evolve BJJ into a more complete grappling martial art.

However, I believe this is not enough to evolve a martial art.

As a long time MMA fan and someone who has taken TMAs, I recognize the importance of full contact competition and how the rules of these competition shape the evolution of the martial art itself.

It dawned on me how important and overlooked this is after I read the follow post:

@WARinsertname:

BJJ and grappling comps usually do not award a guy keeping it standing. So either one guy is taking the other down or one is pulling guard.

There is no real sense of urgency or need to go full boar into takedowns like in wrestling or MMA.

Look at bjj and no gi matches. The guys aren't super aggressive at taking the other down...USUALLY. Both guys tend to softly play chess instead of driving a single or double.

Not all guys are like that...There are players who will go after it.

This observation is spot on!!! The type of high-level full contact competitions that are available and how the competitions are scored have shaped and will shape how the martial artists fight and the evolution of martial arts themselves, as time passes.

For example, in Karate and Tae Kwondo, the competitions are point based, so over the years, these styles have been fine-tuned for point fighting and not really for real full-contact knockouts that is suitable for real combats like in MMA.

On the flip side, Muay Thai competitions are about who can avoid / absorb damages while dissing out the most firepower to KO the opponents, and thus, Muay Thai's training system has evolved into one that focused heavily on conditioning and simple but powerful techniques.

Getting back to BJJ and wrestling... if BJJ is to evolve into a complete grappling martial art by combining with wrestling, then the competition's rule and scoring system must ALSO combine wrestling's rule and scoring. Such a grappling match would have to allow and reward for takedowns, slams, control, pins, etc. (as in wrestling) and allows for submission holds (as in BJJ).

crazy-wrestling.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Eh if you ever watched wrestling on a local level. There are dudes that completely stall

Wrestlers picked up their slack and learned bjj. Bjj guys stayed stuck in their world and didnt embrace wrestling in the same way.

Why would BJJ evolve at all, it's BJJ.
It'd be like saying they need strikes in Judo or wrestling because there aren't enough ko's.

BJJ is finish-oriented, wrestling is more of a olympic sport, where points matter, not submission.

They're completely different, in fact, had they refrained on making up wrestlnig-friendly rules UFC would have never made into US, and therefore lost a shitload of money.

Just look at US in fighting before UFC, it was just boxing, and boxing alone would not be enough.

BJJ is finish-oriented, wrestling is more of a olympic sport, where points matter, not submission.

They're completely different, in fact, have they refrain for making up wrestlnig-friendly rules UFC would have never made into US, and therefore lost a shitload of money.

Just look at US in fighting before UFC, it was just boxing, and boxing alone would not be enough.

While i agree that the rule set favors wrestling, bjj guys have a hard time taking down strikers who dedicate to takedown defence. I also dont get why these ground aces dont pull guard as a last resort. Get the fight to the ground any way possible.

While i agree that the rule set favors wrestling, bjj guys have a hard time taking down strikers who dedicate to takedown defence. I also dont get why these ground aces dont pull guard as a last resort. Get the fight to the ground any way possible.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, and if you come o think of it UFC would be a lot more fun this way.

I'm not trying to say that BJJ is better or worse, just that they made the rules to favor wrestling so that they could break the surface of water in US. (I really forgot how that slang goes... sorry, long time I haven't spoke english)

Then many hobbyists, who prefer BJJ's low impact quality, would be driven away. This lessens the number of practitioners and the amount instructors can bill for their tutelage.

maybe bjj needs to dig in to it's judo roots again to fix this shit.

BJJ shouldn’t even be a thing

It’s just Jiu jitsu-judo

Idk how the Gracies sold that idea to the world, they were taught by a judoka but worst of all they watered it down and maybe that’s why to this day “B”JJ is lacking in takedowns and everyone wants to start on their damn backs or buttscoot instead

BJJ shouldn’t even be a thing

It’s just Jiu jitsu-judo

Idk how the Gracies sold that idea to the world, they were taught by a judoka but worst of all they watered it down and maybe that’s why to this day “B”JJ is lacking in takedowns and everyone wants to start on their damn backs or buttscoot instead
Judo wasn't even a term then when Maeda taught Carlos Sr. You wanna bitch about BJJ, have you seen what the IJF did to Judo?

It's MIXED marital arts. Just MIX in wrestling with your training.

Isn't this the base of Jake Sheilds ? He coined the term AJJ/ American jujitsu which is wrestling based jujitsu

Judo wasn't even a term then when Maeda taught Carlos Sr. You wanna bitch about BJJ, have you seen what the IJF did to Judo?

It is also worth noting that the Gracies are very critical of "Sport" Jiu Jitsu nowadays. Gracie Jiu Jitsu is a lot more geared towards street fighting and MMA

It is also worth noting that the Gracies are very critical of "Sport" Jiu Jitsu nowadays. Gracie Jiu Jitsu is a lot more geared towards street fighting and MMA
That's a different topic though. BJJ/GJJ are all the same. Royler was dominant in that ruleset. When Helio's lineage lost a representative for IBJJF events is when they started talking trash about sports JJ. That's my 2 cents.

Just about every takedown from wrestling exists in Judo. Just as well as it IS a form of wrestling.

Back