IBJJF legal lightweight gis

Minnja

Touch-Butt white belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Been looking around for information on this and sometimes see conflicting things. I am looking to buy a new gi and also want it to be IBJJF legal. I was looking at the lightweight ones to minimize the change of me being overweight, I will not be cutting weight (in the process of losing weight though) and want to start taking into consideration the weight of the gi.

I was looking at Gameness Air gis but some things I found said it IS legal and some other posts I saw (from googling) say it is NOT (or I am bad at reading). Can anyone confirm if it is legal, or know of any other lightweight gis that are most definitely legal and not super expensive?

Instead of focusing on "light" labels you need to understand that what makes the lightness/strenght ratio of a gi is the grams per square inch of the fabric they are made.
That way you can research and buy a 350 gms pearl weave that will last you 2 months and save you a couple of grams at the scale. Or the now standard 450 gsm pearl weave gi that every company makes, which will have a more reasonable life.
You also need to consider that the lighter ones are so thin and stretchy that will make all your sleeve/lapel grabbing oponents happy.

The only ones that are IBJJF illegal are the gis made out of ripstop. (Obviously the ones that dont fit the color and patches regulations won´t be legal either)

http://sanabulsports.com/product/essentials-gi/

About 3 pounds, dirt cheap, and pretty durable.

I bought one for NY PRO, and I still train in it without issue.

I just ordered a blue one. Thanks.

Instead of focusing on "light" labels you need to understand that what makes the lightness/strenght ratio of a gi is the grams per square inch of the fabric they are made.
That way you can research and buy a 350 gms pearl weave that will last you 2 months and save you a couple of grams at the scale. Or the now standard 450 gsm pearl weave gi that every company makes, which will have a more reasonable life.
You also need to consider that the lighter ones are so thin and stretchy that will make all your sleeve/lapel grabbing oponents happy.

The only ones that are IBJJF illegal are the gis made out of ripstop. (Obviously the ones that dont fit the color and patches regulations won´t be legal either)

Thanks for the information. I am going to go ahead and use that Sanabul one mentioned above. Whatever I get it will be a good upgrade from what I have (pretty much a judo gi). The Sanabul is cheap so if it ends up tearing or something then i don't think it won't be a terrible loss.

Gameness Air is IBJJF legal. I have worn a white and blue at multiple IBJJF tournaments and never had a problem with them. They are my favorite gis.

Ok, so I got my Sanabul a few days ago. Seemed pretty legit. I also ordered a Vulkan and Gameness and couldn't cancel in time lol. The Vulkan just got it. And my god... I thought the Sanabul was great but the Vulkan feels even nicer and it fits me a bit better than Sanabul (might have ordered a size too large for Sanabul, got A1 for both).

Sooooooo I think I'm actually going to return teh Sanabul and keep the Vulkan. Sanabul being cheaper is pretty nice but having this Vulkan gi in my hands is too much for me to turn down. Gameness is coming in next week, I'll almost definitely return that, if I really like that too I'll keep it as a spare.

Ok, so I got my Sanabul a few days ago. Seemed pretty legit. I also ordered a Vulkan and Gameness and couldn't cancel in time lol. The Vulkan just got it. And my god... I thought the Sanabul was great but the Vulkan feels even nicer and it fits me a bit better than Sanabul (might have ordered a size too large for Sanabul, got A1 for both).

Sooooooo I think I'm actually going to return teh Sanabul and keep the Vulkan. Sanabul being cheaper is pretty nice but having this Vulkan gi in my hands is too much for me to turn down. Gameness is coming in next week, I'll almost definitely return that, if I really like that too I'll keep it as a spare.

How many gis do you have right now? If you care about the IBJJF rules I assume you want to compete eventually? If you want to compete you have to train. If you want to train with any regularity, you will need several gis.

Now you may just want to buy Vulkan gis but IMO you will, sooner rather than later, need at least 2 and more likely 3 gis. If you stick with it you'll have a lot more than that :)

How many gis do you have right now? If you care about the IBJJF rules I assume you want to compete eventually? If you want to compete you have to train. If you want to train with any regularity, you will need several gis.

Now you may just want to buy Vulkan gis but IMO you will, sooner rather than later, need at least 2 and more likely 3 gis. If you stick with it you'll have a lot more than that :)

I'm going to the NY Open. I've always just trained with 1 gi. I usually train 3 days of gi a week and wash it after every practice. But I'm pretty sure it's more of a judo gi as it's very loose around the wrists.

So yeah, I have 2 gis now. I am thinking I will likely keep the Gameness gi coming in, if I decide not to keep it I will order a Sanabul since it's pretty cheap.

I'm going to the NY Open. I've always just trained with 1 gi. I usually train 3 days of gi a week and wash it after every practice. But I'm pretty sure it's more of a judo gi as it's very loose around the wrists.

So yeah, I have 2 gis now. I am thinking I will likely keep the Gameness gi coming in, if I decide not to keep it I will order a Sanabul since it's pretty cheap.

Awesome man. Good luck!

I might be doing NY Open too. What belt/weight are you?

Yeah, first IBJJF tourny.

Arrive early. Parking's a bitch! ;)

Good luck man. Just go out there, play your game, and have fun.

I've done two IBJJF comps at white, came home with 2 bronzes. This will be my first at blue. I want that goddamn gold this time!

How anal are they about the gi top length? I see on their site the top needs to go past your ass, my gi top doesn't quite do that, it's close to going past, but not quite. Otherwise the pants fit great and the top fits nicely as well.

Actually, certain ripstop gis are IBJJF legal. They can't be the waxy type of ripstop. It has to feel like "normal" cotton.

How anal are they about the gi top length? I see on their site the top needs to go past your ass, my gi top doesn't quite do that, it's close to going past, but not quite. Otherwise the pants fit great and the top fits nicely as well.

Has to go to the middle of your butt, and most aren't anal about the top length but will fuck you on patches and sleeve/pant length

Actually, certain ripstop gis are IBJJF legal. They can't be the waxy type of ripstop. It has to feel like "normal" cotton.

Has to go to the middle of your butt, and most aren't anal about the top length but will fuck you on patches and sleeve/pant length

Ok, it's deiniftely middle of my butt. The pants are almost touching the floor (only problem is if it's too short?) and the sleeves also are pretty much on my wrist.

Gameness Air is IBJJF legal. I have worn a white and blue at multiple IBJJF tournaments and never had a problem with them. They are my favorite gis.

Really? I bought one and hated it. Found it way, way too loose in fit. Though it was light.

Back