Iaquinta: 'Dana is out of line'

White has stated he's discussed the matter with fighters behind the scenes. He wants to move weigh-ins to the afternoon as soon as possible. It's unclear how soon that could happen, though, due to various regulatory questions.

Al might get his wish for August, but not for his next fight

I don't believe Dana about talking to fighters and the majority want a return to afternoon weigh ins.
At the press conference he said "the numbers speak for themselves". He's obviously referring to the number of fighters who have missed weight since the change. That's what has forced this decision.

I don't believe Dana about talking to fighters and the majority want a return to afternoon weigh ins.
At the press conference he said "the numbers speak for themselves". He's obviously referring to the number of fighters who have missed weight since the change. That's what has forced this decision.
Yeah, the MMA fighting reporters at UFC 225 said every fighter they asked would prefer the early weigh in's.

It seems to be universally accepted that more time to re-hydrate will lead to fighters being in better condition and under less risk of brain injury, so to change it back for the benefit of some guys who are either too lazy or too big for the division seems to be a very shortsighted decision.

Dana is a child when it comes to these type of situations, I bet he already regrets saying they will be moved back to the afternoon, but his ego will not allow him to back down.

He is talking like the head of a union

I agree in essence though, Dana White shouldn’t be able to run the ufc like a dictator controlling a totalitarian government, operating on the whim of his own emotions.

He’s crossed the line too many times throughout the years. I’m surprised he is still here.
He was doing what his boss(es) wanted, with his own approach to carrying out their decisions.

Would be great if Al had real backing on this issue and every fighter on the event turns up to the event to weigh in early and refuses the later time slot, they would have to buckle to the fighters or scrap the card.

But MMA fighters have never really shown that level of unity so it's very unlikely.

this is the first time I have ever heard most of them on the same page though, and its got nothing to do with money for once, so maybe, just maybe, this is the thing that unites them

war Al, I fucking love that dude, he doesn't give a fuck

this is the first time I have ever heard most of them on the same page though, and its got nothing to do with money for once, so maybe, just maybe, this is the thing that unites them

war Al, I fucking love that dude, he doesn't give a fuck
I agree, but I think that Dana and Co would go on the offensive, wouldn't surprise me if everyone of them are contacted in advance with the threat of either accept the new weigh in's or you are off the card, Al's one the only guys will the balls to follow through, the rest will buckle if the pressure is applied in advance.

It's not even that it's a big issue for the UFC, but something like this could galvanize the union talk and they would crack down hard before letting it get that far, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the UFC actually cancelled a card before bowing down to fighter pressure, control is that important to them.

Of all the shitty decisions Dana White has made over the years, this is one decision I wholeheartedly agree with.

Fighters ballooning in size after "replenishing" in order to gain a size advantage, and fights cancelled due to unhealthy weight cuts. It's getting out of hand.

What's the point of weight classes if the fighters don't actually weigh as such during the fight itself.

Of all the shitty decisions Dana White has made over the years, this is one decision I wholeheartedly agree with.

Fighters ballooning in size after "replenishing" in order to gain a size advantage, and fights cancelled due to unhealthy weight cuts. It's getting out of hand.

What's the point of weight classes if the fighters don't actually weigh as such during the fight itself.
Yeah but this decision won't help that situation in the slightest.

I agree, but I think that Dana and Co would go on the offensive, wouldn't surprise me if everyone of them are contacted in advance with the threat of either accept the new weigh in's or you are off the card, Al's one the only guys will the balls to follow through, the rest will buckle if the pressure is applied in advance.

It's not even that it's a big issue for the UFC, but something like this could galvanize the union talk and they would crack down hard before letting it get that far, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the UFC actually cancelled a card before bowing down to fighter pressure, control is that important to them.

100% its totalitarian leadership or bust in their eyes, but one day something has gotta give, and for all we know it may be this...or maybe not

The idea that they can cut more / replenish more for weigh ins as a rally cry is a bit absurd. Manage your weight better and you don’t need 36 hours to replenish / recover. How many months lead time does he fuckin need to build that into his planning?

100% its totalitarian leadership or bust in their eyes, but one day something has gotta give, and for all we know it may be this...or maybe not
For me it would take 4 or 5 of the absolute top guys who have some leverage banding together and refusing to fight until the UFC would concede an inch, but the problem is the UFC know all they need to do in order to keep rest in line is sweeten the deal for those top guys and the problem will go away.

I do agree that eventually a straw will break the camels back and the fighters will all come together, but sadly I think it's still some way off.

Dana's not his president.

It's Leslie Smith.

Bitches the lot of ye. Who woulda thought the Conor McGregor/Colby Snitchington generation were going to be a bunch of ass kissers and snitches?

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Al is an incoherent mess, but he's on the money here. This sport was built on these fighters backs, and year by year the UFC takes things from the fighters in the most tyrannical of ways. "Most of these fighters we talk to love the old weigh ins" shut your goofy ass mouth up!

Cards/important fights haven't been canceled due to weight this year. The problem is and will continue to be the company, at least until they start producing some quality cards and the match making gets sorted (not entirely their fault). Fuck yeah can't wait for UFC Singapore! Said no one ever.

Why is Cody rematching TJ? There are lots of great fights out there for him, if he losses to the champ twice, you essentially kill off a star.
Why did Holm have to derail Cyborgs only legit competition (weight lass not skill wise), kill off a potential star and opponent for Cyborg. Why is Justin Gaethje allowed to fight every few months?

There are plenty of things the UFC could do in house to unfuck themselves, but no let's just fuck it up for the fighters and cause the first death in the UFC.
<Dana05>

Last edited:
Why move the weigh in back at all? If fighters don't make weight they give up their purse to their opponent, period end of story. If they miss by more than 2 lbs they are suspended for a year. Actions should have consequences.

Someone needs to give Al a talk about Joe Scarola.

I feel like it's probably Dana's friendship with Serra which is letting him Al away with so much; but at some point..

Lol at dana not loving the sport "anymore"

Dana ever hated the SPORT, dude love $$$
Yeah, if he could have succeeded at boxing would he ever have bothered with MMA?

Dana is always out of line. But then the Fertittas (and now WME) recognize the benefits of having a "bad guy" front man to draw heat while they make moves behind the scenes.

Yeah, the MMA fighting reporters at UFC 225 said every fighter they asked would prefer the early weigh in's.

It seems to be universally accepted that more time to re-hydrate will lead to fighters being in better condition and under less risk of brain injury, so to change it back for the benefit of some guys who are either too lazy or too big for the division seems to be a very shortsighted decision.

Dana is a child when it comes to these type of situations, I bet he already regrets saying they will be moved back to the afternoon, but his ego will not allow him to back down.
I don't think Dana regrets anything and I don't think it matters to him whether the fighters like the change or not. He'll just say whatever he thinks will push that issue aside. The only thing that matters to him is the number of weight misses lately.

I can see why fighters who do the right thing and come in to the morning weigh ins on weight would be upset. The new system allowed them extra time to recover from the weight cut, now they lose that because of other fighters cutting their weight cut too close. I can definitely see the point someone made above that it's the weight missers who are to blame for this.

He is talking like the head of a union

I agree in essence though, Dana White shouldn’t be able to run the ufc like a dictator controlling a totalitarian government, operating on the whim of his own emotions.

He’s crossed the line too many times throughout the years. I’m surprised he is still here.
Kim Jong White

Al doesn't realize it is his fellow fighters that he should be mad at, not Dana or UFC in this instance.
They tried something & the fighters as a collective shit all over it by missing weight more than before.

there is enough to blame Dana & UFC for, this is on the fighters.

While I 50% agree with you I also can make the argument that the big weight cutters have been awarded by the UFC many times. Fighters who are missing weight have like a 80%+ win rate lately. There is pressure to still take the fight for the other fighter who made weight.
If a fighter misses weight then wins they move up in the UFC rankings(though I remember reading about Dern being moved back down in rank after fan outrage).

Yoel missed weight for an interim title shot, won, got to fight for the title instantly and misses weight again. Yet still the fight was on. Joe Rogan even seemingly tried to make a third fight happen, though that is probably on Joe unless he had some voice in his ear telling him to bring it up.

If the UFC really wanted to take a stand against fighters missing weight they could have punished the individuals missing weight. But cancelling fights hurts the bottom line, so they don't do it (understandable to some extent).

I think the blame is on both parties, but mainly the problem is weight cutting in itself. I'd have to say IMO it's better for the UFC to take action by stopping with early weigh ins rather than doing nothing.

Whatever happened to that fighters union haha? Could do with the fuckers now.

Back