I want to know your thought on what Marc 'Animal' MacYoung said about grappling ...

I don't know where you train but we drill standing up from base quite a bit at my gym. Standing guard passes are also very popular when someone is on top.
then you train at a very good gym as most gyms dont train like that, could you imagine a grappling comp were as soon as it hit the floor both or even one competitiors stood back up?

Knee on belly, standing guard pass, throws and takedowns, standing from your back to scramble for position, sprawling? At least 60% for me?

all of those techniques are still grappling as your fixing your self to one oponent. fighting is dangerous so why prolong the fight and keep your self in danger any longer then nessesery by grappling? really if grappling works or not is irrelavent you want to get the fight over as quickly as possible.

toxo, dude, I watched some of that guys stuff on youtube now, and after reading what you posted, and some of his web page stuff, I'm sorry, but THIS is the authority your gonna use to back your point of view?

Give the dude your money if you choose, that's cool, but I remain happy investing in my BJJ training. Haven't lost a single street fight since I started training, haven't been in any either. How to bum rush a dude and kill him with multiple stab wounds with a knife is not a skill I intend to use any time soon.

I can't say why I would disagree with him. I would not be inclined to go to the ground on purpose in a street fight. I've worked in bars and clubs as a bouncer for a couple of years on and off, I can think of only few situations where I've seen people go to the ground on purpose. In street situations I think whenever possible it's always best to stay on your feet and be aware of everything around you. For the times I've seen people go to the ground it would have saved the loser if he had any grappling ability for sure.

There are however, standing options that include more than just striking. If you are more of a grappler you can still grapple while remaining standing and there are numerous submissions and restraints you can use in a self defense situation and still remain standing. In fact I've never thrown one strike period at all while working as a bouncer. I've always either locked people up in some form of chokes or restrain their arms while walking them out of the bar. One of my favorite techniques is to use the arm triangle choke while standing. Easy to do and it locks up one arm and the head and will allow you to see what they are doing with their free arm.

ok after i posted i saw your second post - so the weakness of grappling is that you can't fend off multiple attackers? show me a martial art that can!

thats not exactly a bold statement. In a one on one situation, grappling is the best self-defense to have. in a multiple attacker situation, a great pair of running shoes is the best defense.

I don't know of any martial art that teaches defense against multiple attackers, but fighting systems, such as Krav Maga teach defense against multiple attackers the moment you get to level 2.

I don't know of any martial art that teaches defense against multiple attackers, but fighting systems, such as Krav Maga teach defense against multiple attackers the moment you get to level 2.

LMFAO... i'll re-word that for anaconda, there are no martial arts that teach defense against multiple attackers that would actually work in a real life situation

toxo, dude, I watched some of that guys stuff on youtube now, and after reading what you posted, and some of his web page stuff, I'm sorry, but THIS is the authority your gonna use to back your point of view?

Give the dude your money if you choose, that's cool, but I remain happy investing in my BJJ training. Haven't lost a single street fight since I started training, haven't been in any either. How to bum rush a dude and kill him with multiple stab wounds with a knife is not a skill I intend to use any time soon.

well if you havent been in any streetfights since starting bjj then you couldnt of lost any lol his other stuff not withstanding he has some good points on grappling.

im not saying dont learn bjj ( you should really try reading post before commenting on them) only trying to point out some if its limitations.

I grapple competatively, made it to the quarters at Abu Dhabi last week...(blue division -lost on points)

About Marc MacYoung - I don't know much about his fighting "techniques" but I'd rather learn techniques from experts and sparr in each art (like GSP does)
maybe some Kali stick / knife fighting / Jeet Kun Do to boot. BUT

I couldn't stop reading his stuff a few years ago.
The guy has spme realistic wisdom on his website. He really seems to have a grip on some of the realities of fighting situations.

Edit: Just reread through it. I definately don't agree w/ everything on the site. There's some truth and some false things, I find some practical things rather useful - One part I've used is creating multiple deterrents to a roberry. (Lights, alarms, multiple locked doors, etc.)

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Child Safety | Criminal Mindset | LEO-Military Security | Knife Fighting | Legal | Martial Arts | Property Crime | | Psychological Survival | Rape | Robbery | Self-Defense | Stalking-Domestic Violence | Street Fighting |

I grapple competatively, made it to the quarters at Abu Dhabi last week...(blue division -lost on points)

About Marc MacYoung - I don't know much about his fighting "techniques" but I'd rather learn techniques from experts and sparr in each art (like GSP does)
maybe some Kali stick / knife fighting / Jeet Kun Do to boot. BUT

I couldn't stop reading his stuff a few years ago.
The guy has tons of realistic wisdom on his website. He really seems to have a grip on many of the realities of fighting situations. I highly recommend any martial artist read his website at least once to get a unique perspective. Maybe he does have some BS but he got some real stuff there too- that could save you or your family's life.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

Child Safety | Criminal Mindset | LEO-Military Security | Knife Fighting | Legal | Martial Arts | Property Crime | | Psychological Survival | Rape | Robbery | Self-Defense | Stalking-Domestic Violence | Street Fighting |
well done on abu mate thats a seriously hard comp. i know a few guys who have tried out for that.

well if you havent been in any streetfights since starting bjj then you couldnt of lost any lol his other stuff not withstanding he has some good points on grappling.

im not saying dont learn bjj ( you should really try reading post before commenting on them) only trying to point out some if its limitations.

:) I think you missed my point.

I don't street fight. I don't have to. Odds are I'm never gonna have to, because I don't put myself in those kinds of situations. If I get stabbed it will be because I never saw the knife and the guy came at me for no reason. No martial art, or other training is gonna help me with that. If I am threatened, or stocked, I keep my distance and call the police. If they chase me I run and call the police.

Point is why put so much effort into training something that odds are I'll never have to deal with.

:) I think you missed my point.

I don't street fight. I don't have to. Odds are I'm never gonna have to, because I don't put myself in those kinds of situations. If I get stabbed it will be because I never saw the knife and the guy came at me for no reason. No martial art, or other training is gonna help me with that. If I am threatened, or stocked, I keep my distance and call the police. If they chase me I run and call the police.

Point is why put so much effort into training something that odds are I'll never have to deal with.

why train in anything then? if im going to train for fun fitness ect and want the added benefit of self protection then i want the self protection to work. if you want to train for sport then fair enough but thats not what im talking about. as for never seeing the attack coming thats because your switched off and have never done any soft skills training.

google dog brothers. End of conversation

the dog brothers ends nothing thay just do full contact sparring which is different to being attacked in the street or whatever. ironically there grappling with sticks is ofter critized as the sticks are supposed to be simbolic of edged weapons so most of there grappling with sticks would be pointless if you had an edged weapon.

they do more than "just do full contact sparring" they also train with law enforcement and CEO's. Also, who would have a better idea about how weapon fighting looks like than the dog brothers? Who trains realer?

that dosnt answer any of my points. the dog brother fights although very brutal are still in a controlled enviroment with rules ect. anyway really when am i ever going to get attacked my a guy with double sticks and i happen to have double sticks aswell?

so who knows more? can you name some one with better credentials? Actually it does answer your points, co's are usually outnumbered and jumped all the time.

I can not name the people, cuz you wouldnt know them, but my security team are training in sambo, judo, bjj and boxing, but you wouldnt see them using a lot of it- usually the best use is the maglight.

As I see it, the problem with RBSD styles is they are often taught using one steps and 'situational' sparring, but street fights/assaults are more dynamic. BJJ is very effective training since most schools roll at or near full speed a great deal (at my BJJ training center we roll every class. 5-15 rounds.)

BJJ, judo, wrestling can keep you alive on the ground but they don't address multiple opponents and unless they contain a striking element they are limited. MMA training is most folks best bet for self defense but addressing weapons defenses is whole other story.

Dog brothers, Sayoc, Krav Maga all attempt to address theses situations but there are some flaws in their logic. IMHO. As for guys like Marc Young, well, I don't care for his technique or his attitude, but philisophically he is accurate about the approaches of sport and traditional training lacking a level of effectiveness.

I mean I wouldn't want tangle with GSP. That said, a crackhead or crankster with a butcher knife might kill him dead in a street attack and I might survive just because I've trained against knife attacks at full speed and perhaps he has not. Moreover, one of the masters of the fu that trains for 'every' situation might get carved up because he has never trained at anything but one step attacks.

I think if you really want to protect against street attacks train in MMA, thai boxing, boxing, BJJ, and wrestling then try to absorb the useful stuff from DB, Blauer, and others who train in realistic knife, stick, and weapons scenarios. In short, make it up as you go along.

Just my two cents.

Back