• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I want to know your thought on what Marc 'Animal' MacYoung said about grappling ...

"including watching a guy get "stomped" by upwards of twenty people while on the ground --"

I stopped reading there.

Clearly it was grappling that lost this fight. Had they guy stayed standing, those 20 dudes were screwed.

If im grappling in a fight its because I want top position. If im on my back, playing my guard, its because I got put there, and im trying to get out.

But if I take it to the ground, and I have top position, I can get up whenever I needbe, and control the fight until then.

nice post; good points

This is not the first image I would want potential customers to see on my website (have another beer there, Marc):

PICT0455.jpg

Anyone that trains in todays world now that not one martial art is going to prepare you for every situation, but I much rather know something then nothing.

I am not a fan of his tone, but he does have valid points.

Cross training is very important in street fighting.
Weapons do change a fight.
Slams are allowed in street fights
BJJ practitioners should know basic striking

I train at a school that the belief is BJJ is a great tool in you box, but not the only tool.

Yesterday in BJJ we work a street situation of being push up against a car and escaping, getting the takedown, thai clinch, choke, knee strikes, elbows.

So yes I agree in a sense with this man, but he is not really saying any thing a martial arts should'nt know already.

This is not a good topic to have with a purist either.

A lot of what he's saying is common sense and is not particularly radical. For example, of course it's not an ideal strategy to go to the ground if there are multiple attackers, and nobody would recommend rolling around with a knife-wielding attacker.

However, if/when any fight scenario goes to the ground, it seems obvious that someone who has grappling skills would have a much better chance of succeeding than someone who has no ground experience.

A lot of what he's saying is common sense and is not particularly radical. For example, of course it's not an ideal strategy to go to the ground if there are multiple attackers, and nobody would recommend rolling around with a knife-wielding attacker.

However, if/when any fight scenario goes to the ground, it seems obvious that someone who has grappling skills would have a much better chance of succeeding than someone who has no ground experience.

I am wondering how someone actually gets press saying this stuff.

Is he supposedly a respected figure in the MA world?

Why are all these RBSD guys always overweight with 80s haircuts?

Seriously though, all his advice could be summed up with: "Just because you are a trained grappler that could take 99% of the population, doesn't mean you should get in fights with them?

While this guy is slightly more realistic in his tone, he has the same lapses in reasoning that just about all of them do:

1) He assumes every BJJer views the guard as a 50/50 position

2) He assumes that the grappler's takedowns are are only that of the average person and are not far more likely to get the better of a clinch/ takedown.

3) He assumes that all ground that is not the mat in a gym is covered in broken glass, hypodermic needles, feces, alligator teeth and is partially lava.

4) Taking some scrapes from maneuvering on concrete is as bad as taking hard strikes to the face.

5) Grapplers will be far less afraid of a weapon than other people.

Just another fat old man talking about how deadly he is in confrontations nobody's ever seen.

Post was a long read, so you guys figure it out and I read up the summary later!

If he wants to give me advice on which sausage grills the best, or why butter is better than margarine...I'll listen.

Fighting?

No thanks. Although, I must say that I'm grateful that I'll never see his fat ass wearing a rash guard.

ok after i posted i saw your second post - so the weakness of grappling is that you can't fend off multiple attackers? show me a martial art that can!

thats not exactly a bold statement. In a one on one situation, grappling is the best self-defense to have. in a multiple attacker situation, a great pair of running shoes is the best defense.

The multiple attacker cliche ( and obviously self serving to the TMA types) that assumes all fights take place in a bar where the attacker has a bunch of friends will never die.

Read most of his comments and I can't see what's so profound in what he's saying. BJJ/ground fighting isn't the best for all combat situations. No shit. BJJ isn't the best form of self defense. Again, no shit. BJJ isn't as effective when the guy has a weapon. No arguments from me. Take it for what it is (an obvious statement made from a clearly biased source) and see what you can take from it.

But these RBSD guys do make me laugh. They make claims that they've experienced or witnessed first hand how 20 guys stomping you hurts or how fish hooks and eye gouges and groin strikes are supreme. I always think that either you live in a fucked up alternate world that I simply can't fathom where you must fight for survival on a daily basis OR you are the biggest asshole in the world where you go out and pick fights on a daily basis.

This guy is a complete hack and phoney. He is trying to market his own hybrid style of martial arts. From his website:

"Since the age of 10, he has studied several styles of martial arts, including Karate, Wing Chun, Baqua/Hsing-I, Five Family Gung fu, Boxing, Western swordsmanship, Kali and various forms of Pentjak Silat. That's thirty five years of training and application. He has field-stripped and bastardized every style he studied in order to make it street effective. However, out of respect to his teachers and their styles, when it comes to martial arts, he doesn

If he wants to give me advice on which sausage grills the best, or why butter is better than margarine...I'll listen.

Fighting?

No thanks. Although, I must say that I'm grateful that I'll never see his fat ass wearing a rash guard.

HA!

Most martial arts aren't good if the attacker has a knife.

Yes but on teh ground you can't oversee the situation very well.
Also what if you are grappling with some1 1-1 in a fight and he pulls out a knife. the most important thing in a knife fight is that you have distance and you just don't have that when you are rolling on the ground

i train bjj because it is awesome and fun and has improved my quality of life IMMENSELY
not because im worried about getting into a street fight

if that ever happened i would talk first, run second, pull my gat third

bjj is unbeatable, i pulled guard on 6 guys in the bar just last night, i caught 2 of them in the same omoplata then transitioned into a 4 man knee bar, that shit was too easy

I also like that he finds a way to accuse people of doing something which will result in his never having to back up his claims -

"Lets fight, you and I, one on one, no rules to see if your style works."

Him: "The fact that we are meeting to fight means its not a real fight and therefore fighting you won't prove anything."

I also like that he finds a way to accuse people of doing something which will result in his never having to back up his claims -

"Lets fight, you and I, one on one, no rules to see if your style works."

Him: "The fact that we are meeting to fight means its not a real fight and therefore fighting you won't prove anything."

So basically, he's saying that we need to jump him in the street?

Cool. I got this. I'm gonna crack his skull with a Renaissance Fair turkey leg.

So basically, he's saying that we need to jump him in the street?

Cool. I got this. I'm gonna crack his skull with a Renaissance Fair turkey leg.

lol...you know i heard those things aren't actually turkey? we had them at football games at undergrad and my friend and i dont eat pork. I never touched them bc i thought they looked disgusting, but he used to eat them all the time. Then someone told him they aren't turkey at all but actually heavily processed ham formed to look like a giant turkey leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckforbes
Back