I miss Strikeforce

Not exactly what happened. Strikeforce was losing money. Coker pushed for a massive expansion, but they weren't able to secure the sales or advertising revenue to accomplish the leap, long term. It was a bold endeavor, though.

The sport still isn't big enough for a second, financially viable and competitive promotion.

I think it will be one day, but that time is not now.

MMA might not be in its infancy anymore, but it's still a little kid sport trying to make noise and get attention.

The sport still isn't big enough for a second, financially viable and competitive promotion.

I think it will be one day, but that time is not now.

MMA might not be in its infancy anymore, but it's still a little kid sport trying to make noise and get attention.

I'm not disagreeing. That said, Financials and marketing aren't my business (well, in a sense, they're everyone's business, but without getting into that..), but I will observe that the UFC is reportedly about on par with yearly profits for a single NFL franchise or mid-level NBA team, and given how many successful sports franchises exist, one could argue that there is a huge opportunity yet untapped.

At the same time, I dont really care. I just enjoy watching the competition.

Strikeforce was a B League. Literally all of their top guys came over and lost in their UFC debuts or quickly on in their new UFC stints.

You don't get to pretend Strikeforce's MW Champion Luke Rockhold, coming into the UFC off Strikeforce title 2 defences, isn't a Strikeforce fighter when he's getting his head kicked into the stands in 2 minutes by Vitor in his UFC debut but suddenly is a Strikeforce fighter again when he wins the title 6 fights later. That's a UFC fighter by that point.

Strikeforce was a B League. That's why they had talent that with FURTHER time could be at the level of their UFC counterparts.
if an athlete from Strikeforce comes over and wins the title, as some did, that would mean they are of a higher caliber than the UFC fighters that are in that current division.
calling them B league is simply false. you may not like Strikeforce, but facts are facts.

I'm not disagreeing. That said, Financials and marketing aren't my business (well, in a sense, they're everyone's business, but without getting into that..), but I will observe that the UFC is reportedly about on par with yearly profits for a single NFL franchise or mid-level NBA team, and given how many successful sports franchises exist, one could argue that there is a huge opportunity yet untapped.

At the same time, I dont really care. I just enjoy watching the competition.

Same, I don't really care either, I like watching near weekly shows with all-MMA.

UFC can't ever be on par with any sport that is played locally and you can take your kids to, but there's plenty of room to grow.

That’s just silly. DC didn’t lose his debut, Ronda didn’t lose hers, Overeem didn’t, Woodley didn’t, Saffeidine didn’t, Shields didn’t, Jacare didn’t, Mousasi didn’t… I could keep going.

Rockhold has nothing to be ashamed of losing to roided out Vitor. He went on a 6 fight win streak right after that—at what point did he magically become a “UFC fighter”?

Lmao at disengenuously listing Ronda. No shit the girl who's division simply became the UFC's division didn't lose to a UFC counterpart who literally didn't even exist. Absolutely shocking bro that she kept beating her Strikeforce counterparts like she'd already been doing.

And thanks for again disengenuously pretending I said everybody lost their debuts and not:

Literally all of their top guys came over and lost in their UFC debuts or quickly on in their new UFC stints

It's almost like you don't have an argument or something which is why you're pretending like those guys didn't come over and lose early on exactly like like I said to:

DC to Jon (after he himself admitted he wouldn't beat Cain either)
Overeem to Bigfoot, Browne, and Rothwell in a row
Woodley to Shields
Tarec to Rory
Shields to GSP (and most thought he lost his debut to Kampmann)
Gilbert to Benson (and then went 1-5 his whole UFC career)
Mousasi to Machida

Etc.

It's pure revisionist history to pretend like Strikeforce guys didn't come to the UFC and lose. There is no Strikeforce fighter who came over and just won the title.

Strikeforce was a B League with good prospects. Again, that's why LATER ON IN SOME OF THESE GUYS CAREERS they could win the UFC title with more experience and skill under their belt. That is wildly different than pretending they could do this in 2011-2013 when the merge actually happened.

Last edited:
if an athlete from Strikeforce comes over and wins the title, as some did, that would mean they are of a higher caliber than the UFC fighters that are in that current division.
calling them B league is simply false. you may not like Strikeforce, but facts are facts.

By all means Mr Facts, please tell me which fighter came over from Strikeforce's division and won the title against their UFC divisional counterpart?

I'll gladly wait.

I miss aunt jemima, Pontiac, and jnco jeans. I understand

I guess the day had been a long one, because I fell asleep after or during the first round of that fight. I remember waking up with the memory of Hendo landing a few big shots and then reading that he'd somehow lost the remainder of the fight. What a horrific experience.
iirc Hendo faceplanted him early and then somehow Shields recovered and blanketed him the rest of the fight. Never understood how Hendo seemed so passive and unable to do anything, especially considering Shields was a smaller dude with basically just some really good BJJ as his only skill.

DC to Jon (after he himself admitted he wouldn't beat Cain either)

One of the greatest of all time, only lost to two fighters ever. Won his first 4 UFC fights.

Overeem to Bigfoot, Browne, and Rothwell in a row

He debuted by beating Brock who was the second best guy in the UFC.

Woodley to Shields

So Woodley lost to another Strikeforce fighter and then became a 4 time defending champ? Great argument.

Tarec to Rory

I guess kudos for finding the one guy who didn't pan out in the UFC. He did win his debut UFC fight though, which you were just arguing was the determining factor.

Shields to GSP (and most thought he lost his debut to Kampmann)

Damn, losing to the literal GOAT like every other welterweight did, what a B league fighter. Not.

Gilbert to Benson (and then went 1-5 his whole UFC career)

He took the best fighter in the world to split decision. Most fans had him winning.

Mousasi to Machida

Mousasi debuted with a win and went 9-3 in his UFC career.

It's pure revisionist history to pretend like Strikeforce guys didn't come to the UFC and lose. There is no Strikeforce fighter who came over and just won the title.

Strikeforce was a B League with good prospects. Again, that's why LATER ON IN SOME OF THESE GUYS CAREERS they could win the UFC title with more experience and skill under their belt. That is wildly different than pretending they could do this in 2011-2013 when the merge actually happened.

You can't argue Strikeforce was a B league based on listing fighters who immediately went into the top 10, had success and won titles. It's nonsensical. Weidman lost to like 4 Strikeforce fighters in a row and he was the best guy in the UFC at the time.

One of the greatest of all time, only lost to two fighters ever. Won his first 4 UFC fights.

He debuted by beating Brock who was the second best guy in the UFC.

So Woodley lost to another Strikeforce fighter and then became a 4 time defending champ? Great argument.

I guess kudos for finding the one guy who didn't pan out in the UFC. He did win his debut UFC fight though, which you were just arguing was the determining factor.

Damn, losing to the literal GOAT like every other welterweight did, what a B league fighter. Not.

He took the best fighter in the world to split decision. Most fans had him winning.

Mousasi debuted with a win and went 9-3 in his UFC career.

You can't argue Strikeforce was a B league based on listing fighters who immediately went into the top 10, had success and won titles. It's nonsensical. Weidman lost to like 4 Strikeforce fighters in a row and he was the best guy in the UFC at the time.

I'm going to once again quote myself so you can see where you fucked up:

Strikeforce was a B League. Literally all of their top guys came over and lost in their UFC debuts or quickly on in their new UFC stints.

Strikeforce guys were a step below at the time. Their records literally show that with their early UFC losses. Sorry that's inconvenient to you.

Funny thing is, I’m real time 99% of folks considered that HW tourney a colossal failure.

Not having Ubereem continue after his opening round win was majorly disappointing at the time. Cormier as the alternate turned out of be great for them, though, obviously considering the career he proceeded to have afterwards.

By all means Mr Facts, please tell me which fighter came over from Strikeforce's division and won the title against their UFC divisional counterpart?

I'll gladly wait.
youve moved the goalposts. first you said its a B league because fighters from Strikeforce came over and lost their debuts. this was proven wrong by 2 other posters. then you edited that post to say "within their early stints" because that supports your argument. dont deny that. i saw the post before you edited it.
Werdum beat Cain for the UFC HW championship. won the Interim right before that too. boom, countered. are you some sort of UFC stan? whenever any other organization gets brought up youre immediately shitting on it, regardless of any relevant praise or good qualities about it.

Best regards,
Mr Facts

You mean the guy who had literally already been KO'd out of the UFC down to Strikeforce which was why he was ever there in the first place? By JDS who was the literal UFC champion at the time of the merger, not Cain who Werdum beats 4 years later?

Sure, that's a great example of Strikeforce fighter being on the level of their UFC counterparts.

Last edited:
youve moved the goalposts. first you said its a B league because fighters from Strikeforce came over and lost their debuts. this was proven wrong by 2 other posters. then you edited that post to say "within their early stints" because that supports your argument. dont deny that. i saw the post before you edited it.
Werdum beat Cain for the UFC HW championship. won the Interim right before that too. boom, countered. are you some sort of UFC stan? whenever any other organization gets brought up youre immediately shitting on it, regardless of any relevant praise or good qualities about it.

Best regards,
Mr Facts

So weird how you can literally just see that post #34 doesn't have this edit, that the people responded long after Sherdog's 5 minute edit allowance and not before, and that Sherdog's set up shows quotes pre-edits and not any updates after edits where you can still see them responding to me having written "quickly on in their new UFC stints".

upload_2023-10-31_13-31-52.png

Back to your dungeon.

troll-dungeon.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back