I grew up in a cult

To qualify as a cult there needs to be large aspects of mandatory isolation and idolization of one living figure.

Jehovah's witnesses sound just like any other religion, but not a cult.

They are not supposed to have contact with anyone who is not a Jehovah's Witness so the isolation is there. I have a relative who got into it in his 50s. We haven't heard from him since.

I've always said that the difference between a cult and a religion is that what you yourself believe is a religion. What others believe is a cult.

There was this girl in elementary who was a JW and had to leave the classroom when everyone else stood for the national anthem. She also couldn't go to birthday parties and shit. Other than that she seemed okay, never tried to convert anyone.

I'm not sure it's a cult (or if it is, many other religions also qualify) simply because it's somewhat accepted by society at large.

Don't have to go that far. The fact that many religious properties receive property tax exemptions and other favourable legal treatment could be reviewed.

IMO religion for the most part is being nerfed by technology and the resistance of dogma to an ever-changing world.

Religion is being nerf'd by technology!

I think you are on the correct track with that, but replacing spiritualism (which is what religion) was first based on is very scary.
If you go along the lines of replacing real open ended thought with 0's and 1's we are fucked.

They are not supposed to have contact with anyone who is not a Jehovah's Witness so the isolation is there. I have a relative who got into it in his 50s. We haven't heard from him since.

I've always said that the difference between a cult and a religion is that what you yourself believe is a religion. What others believe is a cult.

Disagree. Cults do more brain washing and group suppression stuff. Religions let individuals make their own choices.

tenor.gif

Exactly. Also, they are ostracised if they leave JW - family members and former friends will be forbidden to have anything to do with a person leaving JW. You are essentially dead/doomed in their eyes if you leave.

There were 2 JW in my class in school, other than them not being allowed to join us for celebrations and birthday parties and so on, they seemed like normal, if very polite and a bit timid kids. I met one of them much later when we were grown-ups and he had left the JW by then and essentially his entire past with it as none of them would have anything to with him. His own family abandoned him. He had sneek-meets with his sister, who was the only one who dared to risk eternal damnation by meeting him, in secret.

JW is most definitely a cult. Steve Hassan's book on cult mind control is well worth the read.

The difference between a cult and a non-cult, imo is :

You can leave a non-cult with relative easy, no one will stand in you way or damn your soul to hell for all eternity, ie. there is no real abuse. You cannot leave a cult without repercussions or extreme difficulty, covert or overt, and there will usually be some sort of punishment or spiritual 'damnation' associated with it, ie. there is abuse.

Disagree. Cults do more brain washing and group suppression stuff. Religions let individuals make their own choices.
What?? Lol. Ritualistic fear tactics are used in all religions. Religions are about power and control, based on nonsensical fairy tales. What you eat, how you dress, what you do on certain days, with the threat of hell if you don’t follow.....where is the choice? Now some are looser in enforcement but all have same premise....control

Exactly. Also, they are ostracised if they leave JW - family members and former friends will be forbidden to have anything to do with a person leaving JW. You are essentially dead/doomed in their eyes if you leave.

There were 2 JW in my class in school, other than them not being allowed to join us for celebrations and birthday parties and so on, they seemed like normal, if very polite and a bit timid kids. I met one of them much later when we were grown-ups and he had left the JW by then and essentially his entire past with it as none of them would have anything to with him. His own family abandoned him. He had sneek-meets with his sister, who was the only one who dared to risk eternal damnation by meeting him, in secret.

JW is most definitely a cult. Steve Hassan's book on cult mind control is well worth the read.

The difference between a cult and a non-cult, imo is :

You can leave a non-cult with relative easy, no one will stand in you way or damn your soul to hell for all eternity, ie. there is no real abuse. You cannot leave a cult without repercussions or extreme difficulty, covert or overt, and there will usually be some sort of punishment or spiritual 'damnation' associated with it, ie. there is abuse.

One man who drove truck where I worked married a JW and he cut off ties with his family. He would talk to people at work about work related topics but little else. After about 12 years, she left him. Her parents would no longer talk to her and they helped him find another JW wife.

One man who drove truck where I worked married a JW and he cut off ties with his family. He would talk to people at work about work related topics but little else. After about 12 years, she left him. Her parents would no longer talk to her and they helped him find another JW wife.
That's just brutal.

Former Mormon cult member checking in. Tried Catholic cult for awhile too.

To qualify as a cult there needs to be large aspects of mandatory isolation and idolization of one living figure.

Jehovah's witnesses sound just like any other religion, but not a cult.

It might not be a cult, but it's hardly "just like any other religion" . . .

What?? Lol. Ritualistic fear tactics are used in all religions. Religions are about power and control, based on nonsensical fairy tales. What you eat, how you dress, what you do on certain days, with the threat of hell if you don’t follow.....where is the choice? Now some are looser in enforcement but all have same premise....control

I'm a Christian and have been going to church for over 46 years . . . not one time has anyone tried to control me or what I did. The day they do is the day my family leaves.

Blood transfusions. JW's will not receive blood transfusions.

This is an interesting topic because I work in Compliance at a hospital and JWs are known to abandon this tenet in life or death situations. And there will be serious cognitive dissonance for any clinician (doctor, nurse, etc) who is a fellow JW observing this happening; that would mean excommunication. This becomes an issue if the patient is in a coma where the doctor will look to a family member, friend, or even a clergy (someone aligned with the patient's beliefs) and You might have some pious JW who'd let the patient die believing, "He wouldn't have wanted that". The coercion is strong.

Good on you for seeing it and walking away from it.

Some cults are more "culty" than others but growing up as a Jehovah's Witness, I now realize that I grew up in a cult. The JW organization uses fear, shame, and guilt in order to control every aspect of their member's lives. I was "born in" since my mom was a member before my birth. I stopped being an active member about 10 years ago or so but still held the beliefs for some time after. Once I started thinking for myself and realizing the amount of control they exert, I left.

Just a few things about their control. Beards are not allowed. Tattoos are not allowed. Only short hair allowed for men. Going to college is not allowed. Short skirts are not allowed. Associating with non-church members is not allowed. Playing school sports is not allowed. Sex outside of marriage is not allowed. Smoking, drugs, getting drunk is not allowed. Rated R movies and "questionable" music is not allowed. You must go preaching door to door and attend church twice a week. These are just a few of the rules. Violating the rules will result in being counseled or excommunicated, called disfellowshipping by JW's. Disfellowshipping means that you are completely shunned by members including your family. My sister was disfellowshipped so she had to move out and we were not allowed to have any contact with her.

The JW's are under scrutiny for their sexual abuse handlings. JW members are so indoctrinated they go to the church leaders or "elders" without even considering the police. They have a rule called the two witness rule. It's a centuries old biblical rule stating that there had to be two witnesses to an incident to be considered. Well, when there is a sexual abuse it's the victim's word vs. the perpetrator. So when there's an accusation, the elders wont even consider it. There's another old biblical rule saying you have to face your accuser. So they make the victim sit there in a room with the perpetrator to make the accusations. Now, if there is a known child molester they will have him repent, promise not to do it again, and go on like nothing happened. This person should be reported to police and be thrown in prison.

There are many other fucked up things about this religion. These are just a few things off the top of my head. I'm willing to try to answer any questions anyone may have.

Edit: Forgot to add the whole doomsday aspect. JW's believe the second coming of Christ occurred in 1914. They thought that Armageddon was going to come in the 20th century before the generation of people born around 1914 died. They even predicted it coming in 1975. A lot of members sold their houses and ran up credit cards anticipating the end of the world in 1975. A lot of them left the religion in 1976 when Armageddon didn't come. They believe that after Armageddon, 144,000 people will go to heaven while the rest of the faithful will come back to life and live forever on Earth with no sickness or dying or pain.

Guess @WillHaven isnt' still around?

Anyway, sounds like it's a lot easier to cut ties in JW than Scientology. Will Haven's epic thread was insane. Being followed, protesting, etc....

Speaking of Will... Hope he's ok.

Well, glad you got out. Does your family still talk to you?

Not all of them are like that. Some don't even believe in hell and don't care how you eat or dress. Cults are 100% about controlling and manipulating you. Scientology is a great example.

Back