I grew up in a cult

Timetravel_0

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Some cults are more "culty" than others but growing up as a Jehovah's Witness, I now realize that I grew up in a cult. The JW organization uses fear, shame, and guilt in order to control every aspect of their member's lives. I was "born in" since my mom was a member before my birth. I stopped being an active member about 10 years ago or so but still held the beliefs for some time after. Once I started thinking for myself and realizing the amount of control they exert, I left.

Just a few things about their control. Beards are not allowed. Tattoos are not allowed. Only short hair allowed for men. Going to college is not allowed. Short skirts are not allowed. Associating with non-church members is not allowed. Playing school sports is not allowed. Sex outside of marriage is not allowed. Smoking, drugs, getting drunk is not allowed. Rated R movies and "questionable" music is not allowed. You must go preaching door to door and attend church twice a week. These are just a few of the rules. Violating the rules will result in being counseled or excommunicated, called disfellowshipping by JW's. Disfellowshipping means that you are completely shunned by members including your family. My sister was disfellowshipped so she had to move out and we were not allowed to have any contact with her.

The JW's are under scrutiny for their sexual abuse handlings. JW members are so indoctrinated they go to the church leaders or "elders" without even considering the police. They have a rule called the two witness rule. It's a centuries old biblical rule stating that there had to be two witnesses to an incident to be considered. Well, when there is a sexual abuse it's the victim's word vs. the perpetrator. So when there's an accusation, the elders wont even consider it. There's another old biblical rule saying you have to face your accuser. So they make the victim sit there in a room with the perpetrator to make the accusations. Now, if there is a known child molester they will have him repent, promise not to do it again, and go on like nothing happened. This person should be reported to police and be thrown in prison.

There are many other fucked up things about this religion. These are just a few things off the top of my head. I'm willing to try to answer any questions anyone may have.

Edit: Forgot to add the whole doomsday aspect. JW's believe the second coming of Christ occurred in 1914. They thought that Armageddon was going to come in the 20th century before the generation of people born around 1914 died. They even predicted it coming in 1975. A lot of members sold their houses and ran up credit cards anticipating the end of the world in 1975. A lot of them left the religion in 1976 when Armageddon didn't come. They believe that after Armageddon, 144,000 people will go to heaven while the rest of the faithful will come back to life and live forever on Earth with no sickness or dying or pain.

Last edited:
To qualify as a cult there needs to be large aspects of mandatory isolation and idolization of one living figure.

Jehovah's witnesses sound just like any other religion, but not a cult.

I work with one. He's a pretty cool guy but everyone says if you go to his house to help do electrical work or something he all does is try to convert you. Never heard of the no college thing

To qualify as a cult there needs to be large aspects of mandatory isolation and idolization of one living figure.

Not sure where you're getting this definition from but it's way too restrictive.

Look at Steve Hassan's book Combating Cult Mind Control. It's regarded as one of the most important texts on modern cults and he would disagree with this definition, specifically the part about their needing to be a central figure.

You can never take the C out of culture

Nerf religion imo.

And how do you do that? Maybe another genocide? Like the 20th century need another genocide right?

A friend of mine is an ex-JW. When I first met him he was still in and I got to see his whole journey of getting out.

He definitely would agree with TS that the JW's are a destructive cult.

These days he's an atheist.

Not sure where you're getting this definition from but it's way too restrictive.

Look at Steve Hassan's book Combating Cult Mind Control. It's regarded as one of the most important texts on modern cults and he would disagree with this definition, specifically the part about their needing to be a central figure.

I took a class on it years ago.

Dave Koresh was still on everyone's mind.

How would you define it?

Edit: The banning of short skirts and not getting drunk definitely sounds culty

Glad you got out

Last edited:

Jehovah's witnesses sound just like any other religion, but not a cult.

So Scientology isn't a cult?

I took a class on it years ago.

Dave Koresh was still on everyone's mind.

How would you define it?

Probably more or less the same way you would except that there doesn't have to be a central figure. It really comes down to ideology and control.

Cults don't have to be religious in nature either. There are also political cults.

Anything where there's a strong ideology and some kind of authority that demands devotion to that ideology, and therefore conformity of belief, can be a cult.

My parents tried raising me Catholic, but by 6th grade I would ditch the weekly night time catholic class to smoke cigarettes and play stink finger.

Probably more or less the same way you would except that there doesn't have to be a central figure. It really comes down to ideology and control.

Cults don't have to be religious in nature either. There are also political cults.

Anything where there's a strong ideology and some kind of authority that demands devotion to that ideology, and therefore conformity of belief, can be a cult.

Wouldn’t that be ANY military?

You say your out and your views have changed and yet you decide to start a topic on this? You ain't out. Your mom and all her little JW friends are still living rent free in your head. If you're truly done then just walk away and leave all that behind you and stop dwelling on it.

There was this girl in elementary who was a JW and had to leave the classroom when everyone else stood for the national anthem. She also couldn't go to birthday parties and shit. Other than that she seemed okay, never tried to convert anyone.

I'm not sure it's a cult (or if it is, many other religions also qualify) simply because it's somewhat accepted by society at large.

And how do you do that? Maybe another genocide? Like the 20th century need another genocide right?
Don't have to go that far. The fact that many religious properties receive property tax exemptions and other favourable legal treatment could be reviewed.

IMO religion for the most part is being nerfed by technology and the resistance of dogma to an ever-changing world.

0/10

Cliffs:

TS is a quitter

Back